Why become a member? ×

Who Can Make Me a Custom (guitar) Body

adamg67

I'm looking for someone who can quote me for making, finishing and fitting a new body for my Ibanez baritone. I love it, but I also want an Ibanez Iceman (well, given the choice a Fireman, the reverse one) just because I like the shape and I'm a bit of an Ibanez fanboy. So my cunning plan is to avoid having an extra guitar sitting around by converting my RGIB6 into a Baritone Reverse Iceman to  get both guitars in one. I know I'll lose money on it but I'm planning on keeping it and using it so that's okay.

The body would need to be done from scratch to fit (size wise, I think I'd size it to the existing strap buttons), and routed to take everything on the existing guitar. The neck pocket isn't even the same as an Ibanez RG or Icema because it's a baritone. There is an existing body as a template though. I did wonder if the existing body could be modded and refinished, keeping all the cavities and the neck pocket.

I know it's technically a guitar request but at least it's a a baritone :) and I'm assuming lots of luthiers do both.

I also know it might just be too much to be worth it, there technically isn't a limit on the budget but there's probably limit to what I'd spend just to have a fun body.

If there's anyone anywhere near West Yorkshire that would be a bonus.

Edited by adamg67
speling

You can buy iceman or fireman bodies on eBay if you do a search, sometimes you might have to look at the American site to get it.

The other thing is that the iceman or fireman body can look a little odd without the iceman headstock (the fireman headstock is for some reason not reversed).

Or you could make one yourself, pretty easy really, looks like this (although that is full scale!)

front.thumb.JPG.c2d5502a8c801a904b0fdfef316c7546.JPG

• Like 1

I'll have another look, I was just assuming that I wouldn't be able to get anything to fit the wider neck pocket or the EMG pickups, battery box, and only one switch one knob.

The RGIB6 has the standard 6 on one side Ibanez headstock, which is what things like the the Iceman II and some of the current Icemen have, and it's the one I prefer anyway with the Iceman body. I've never seen a fireman with one, but I'm 98% sure it's the headstock I would like.

That bass looks great!

Edited by adamg67

There are numerous competent luthiers on this forum. However, because most of them produce high quality products, they probably have waiting lists. I'm really thinking Skelf (ACG), Jez (jabba the Gut) and Andyjr1515 but you only have to look at the Build Threads to see the general standard is very high.

Have a look and fire off some PMs.

56 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There are numerous competent luthiers on this forum. However, because most of them produce high quality products, they probably have waiting lists. I'm really thinking Skelf (ACG), Jez (jabba the Gut) and Andyjr1515 but you only have to look at the Build Threads to see the general standard is very high.

There are indeed, but I’m thinking they’d be wasted hacking up a guitar that cost £250 on eBay :) Especially as it just needs to be gloss black when it’s finished. 

I have a sort of a backup plan coming together in my head to route the existing body into a core, chop up a fireman body off eBay and glue it around the side - probably sounds awful but I can imagine it done quite well. I’d still look for someone else to do it and refinish it though, because I need to be playing my basses and guitars not making a terrible job of making or modding them.  :)

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Why not? it was very rewarding and I got just what I wanted!

ok, took a while, but well worth it.

It's just a time thing, I would love to do it. I've had 3 crap years, just normal life stuff that couldn't be avoided, and it's only recently that I've had enough time to play bass as much as I like, and to try and bump my guitar playing up a bit as well. I'm not giving that up for anything. :)

I've made an effort this year to get so I'm proper confident with electrics and have really enjoyed that, so that's something, but for me now it's all about playing.

• Like 1