Why become a member? ×

NordyMute

Andyv

5 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Thank you!

I made one.

60959907_10156989411413726_9165639236785

It's self adhesive strip foam stuck to an ice lolly stick.

It works brilliantly. The mute effect is quite strong so I'm going to experiment with different width of foam. Might even angle it so the D and G have less muting.

$40 for a Nordy one can sod off. I've got enough foam and sticks to make about 50 of them for about £10

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 25/05/2019 at 10:44, fretmeister said:

I made one.

60959907_10156989411413726_9165639236785

It's self adhesive strip foam stuck to an ice lolly stick.

It works brilliantly. The mute effect is quite strong so I'm going to experiment with different width of foam. Might even angle it so the D and G have less muting.

$40 for a Nordy one can sod off. I've got enough foam and sticks to make about 50 of them for about £10

Just make sure you let your insurers know - that's another forty quids worth of kit you've got in the gig bag there ;-)

Seriously though, what a shame nordstrand didn't pitch the price a little better. It's actually a cracking idea, because a lot of the other ways of doing this (including the Bassmute which I use and love) push against the strings and do cause tuning issues. This as far as I can tell doesn't, is easy to get on and off, and I'm assuming is adjustable in terms of muting depending on how far/hard you push it on?If  nordy had these made in china by the thousands for 10p a throw and sold them for £5-10 not many of us would be arsed buying the foam, glue and lollipops to make them ourselves. They would become an essential part of our standard kit and they would have regular repeat business through disorganised and short sighted folk like me losing one every few months. 

Shame a builder can't charge for innovation anymore.  Everyone complaining about the cost, yet are now taking the idea and making their own versions because it doesn't require any real skill.  

Consider the size and location of the company, is he really going to shift the volumes of these he would need to make it worthwhile if he sold it for a tenner?

I think you'll find that Nordstrand didn't invent it, it's an old idea, they just decided to put it into production, at a price point they were happy with, and I'm sure they realised that people would copy it, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all, same as they and everyone else copy Fender's basic pickup design

Invent and innovate are not necessarily the same thing; in this context they brought a product to market and I was referring to people in this thread making their own based upon it.

I am, however, assuming knowledge that there is no other product that works in this same way i.e. foam with string cut-outs stuck to wood and designed to be placed on top of strings.  If I'm wrong, hands held up!

Another company called Grossman makes them too. For £23.

Presumably because they haven’t “innovated” by not using cocobola and other posh woods like Nordy have. And because thy don’t have slots, you cut your own rather than Nordy attempt to make you buy different ones for each bass spacing you have.

With 17.5mm to 19mm spacing on my basses I can make 1 with double sets of slots that fits both basses. 

Well yeah, one of them certainly hasn’t innovated.  Can’t say Iv heard of Grossman though, appears they are located in Europe too so doesn’t surprise me they’re cheaper. 

On 16/05/2019 at 18:22, NJE said:

I seem to remember reading that Carey kept the pickup and bass guitar sides of the businesses separate by using the different names. I know he has effectively stopped building basses but perhaps he still wants to distinguish these from the pickup business?

His new pedals are under another name as well, Rocket Surgeon.

Might be three separate businesses to keep under the VAT threshold.

Those mutes might look expensive if they were £36 each...