Why become a member? ×

NordyMute

Andyv

I was watching this earlier.

There's about 3 minutes of faffing around before he actually puts the thing on the bass and starts playing, but it sounds pretty good once he gets going.

I'm tempted.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ped said:

Andy Irvine, really nice guy. One of the friendliest people I’ve met. 👍🏻

I've not met Andy in person yet! He was once at LBGS when I was performing on a stand and thus I never had the opportunity to catch up, but we have "spoken" many-a-time online. Diamond guy!

I'd also love to meet Carey Nordstrand too.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 07/10/2018 at 16:47, ped said:

https://nordstrandaudio.com/products/nordymute

Havent tried one yet but used and loved a Bassmute previously. No room for one on my current bass though. So these look interesting. Reckon I could make some though easily. Stuck some foam to some wood and cut slots for the strings...

Was tempted until I clicked on the link and read the sales pitch. Bullsh#t is the kindest way I can describe it. If it was half the price and they just said 'stick this on and it will mute your strings without messing up your tuning' I'd probably have bought one. As it is I'm going to cut four slots in a strip of high density foam and glue it to a lollypop stick. If anyone's interested I'll do you one posted for £30 😉

• Like 2

On 10/10/2018 at 20:10, Cato said:

I was watching this earlier.

There's about 3 minutes of faffing around before he actually puts the thing on the bass and starts playing, but it sounds pretty good once he gets going.

I'm tempted.

Oooooooft! Sparkling orange so pretty!

Saw the Ed Friedland video last week, thought it looked interesting but expensive so I made one, 10 mm strip of 15mm self adhesive neoprene rubber (the sort you use under pickups) cut 3/4 depth with Stanley knife at 19mm centres with a bit of fibreboard on it as I didn't have any other thin wood to hand, took 5 mins, does the job, could experiment with widths and depth and widths of cuts to get different tones and use a nice bit of wood

BassDirect have them £30 plus postage 😲

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 19:15, ped said:

Don't know why but the abbreviation of the brand name to 'Nordy' kind of annoys me too

I seem to remember reading that Carey kept the pickup and bass guitar sides of the businesses separate by using the different names. I know he has effectively stopped building basses but perhaps he still wants to distinguish these from the pickup business?

His new pedals are under another name as well, Rocket Surgeon.

2 hours ago, ped said:

Cool avatar :) Wuff-wuff!

“BIRD!” It’s about the only thing my son watches that I gladly sit and watch as well. There’s nearly always something in there for the grown ups.

• Like 1

I only just discovered that, she’s had some great guests. The house bass player gets a great sound from his Sire bass too.

My life mostly revolves around kids tv and kids books these days.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2019 at 11:09, BigRedX said:

If it's not deflatable at the flick of a switch like the BassMute, then I really can't see what the advantage of it is over a piece of foam under the strings.

One reason I can think of is consistency in mute pressure - if your strings are set to different heights then placing foam under them won’t be even.

The reason given in one of the videos is less convincing. Putting foam under the strings can throw off intonation slightly, apparently this device alleviates that.

Of course one advantage over the BassMute is you can use it on all your basses (well the ones with the same string spacing anyway!). Price is a total ripoff though!

Edited by dannybuoy

I’ve got the bassmute and it’s absolutely great, it can be finely adjusted to suit string spacing and the amount of mute you want to have, but I must agree they are expensive,   I’m surprised no one has made a copy 🙂

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

One reason I can think of is consistency in mute pressure - if your strings are set to different heights then placing foam under them won’t be even.

I've been using a stack of velcro cable ties.  Use shorter pieces to adjust for string height or angling differences.  Also choose the correct colour to match the bass.

FXE31911.JPG

• Like 3

I made another one, slightly narrower, used an offcut of cocobolo rosewood, I really like the tone, especially like it with a pick as it gives consistent damping, I don't play much at all with a pick so my palm damping technique is poor.

I had found in the past that putting foam under the strings did give some intonation issues, almost as if you were shortening the string by connecting to the body but this leaves the free string length the same just dampened

WP_20190517_001.jpg

• Like 4

Really? What's with the aggressive posts?

I only use foam at home on my P bass. I prefer the full on dynamics of an unmuted sound on gigs, but as EF says, if you have to use foam then this mute solves the problem of getting foam on and off the bass in the shortest time.

It's only foam after all and there were always going to be ways to make your own for pennies rather than pounds.