Why become a member? ×

Basschat adverts

Cuzzie

For the first time ever on basschat todayI had a pop up add I couldn't switch off appear right over someone's comment, making it unreadable.

It was for Dawson's so it wasn't wholly inappropriate, but it was a bit annoying.

Two questions

Does Basschat get revenue from these ads and will they cease to get that revenue if I install an adblocker?

I'm a bit reluctant to do something that might deprive this free to use site of some well earned dosh (even of it's just fractions of of a penny per ad).

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cato said:

For the first time ever on basschat todayI had a pop up add I couldn't switch off appear right over someone's comment, making it unreadable.

It was for Dawson's so it wasn't wholly inappropriate, but it was a bit annoying.

Two questions

Does Basschat get revenue from these ads and will they cease to get that revenue if I install an adblocker?

I'm a bit reluctant to do something that might deprive this free to use site of some well earned dosh (even of it's just fractions of of a penny per ad).

Hi mate. They should be better configured now to appear as they used to. We’ll spend more time perfecting them over the coming days. We’ve actually been using Adsense for years but recently had to change the account stuff hence the weirdness earlier. 

A pop up blocker will certainly remove them and hide the ads but lose us revenue. They aren’t a main funding source for us (hence the decision to charge for sale ads instead) so you can use one if you prefer, especially if you have a sub already there’s no need to feel bad ;) 

Now we’re up to date with it we will start to config them so maybe users with a sub will see no ads and guests see more etc but we’ll see what’s possible. 

Thanks

ped

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ped said:

Now we’re up to date with it we will start to config them so maybe users with a sub will see no ads and guests see more etc but we’ll see what’s possible.

This would be great.

I've no problem with the selling sub, that's a great way to generate the revenue needed for the costs of running this awesome community. 

As a subscriber I'd really appreciate not having the advertisements!