Why become a member? ×

Pedalboards... recommend a good, light one.

mcnach

I'm using a couple of tiny ones mostly (a Pedal Train nano and a similar one slightly larger by Donner), which do the job well for a couple of pedals plus the wireless receiver.

However, for one band I use a larger setup, and that has now become two bands and I find myself a lot busier taking the larger board with me everywhere... It's a Diago case, which is very solid and works very well... but that thing is heavy!!! With a bunch of pedals inside, some of them pretty heavy themselves, it's getting a little annoying at times when you're carrying things in both hands and need to open doors, climb stairs... 

As I'm about to reorganise my board, I thought I'd look into lighter suitable alternatives.

One thing that is not good about the Diago case is that the power supply is on the surface with the pedals, taking precious space (Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+) so I'd like something with space underneath to fit the power pack there and also have all the cabling routed from the bottom if possible. 

What's out there? Hopefully something that's not going to cost me £200!

33 minutes ago, cLepto-bass said:

No doubt there will be plenty of Pedaltrain recommendations made shortly but be sure to also check out the new Rockboard by Warwick range. They have nice little design feature tweaks from the PT range which really work.

Hmm... I'm liking what I see, thank you! And that little optional patchbay thing could be quite handy too... :)  

20 hours ago, cLepto-bass said:

No doubt there will be plenty of Pedaltrain recommendations made shortly but be sure to also check out the new Rockboard by Warwick range. They have nice little design feature tweaks from the PT range which really work.

Well, a Cinque 5.2 is on its way now. Thank you for the nudge!

I almost went for the 5.3 which is a bit bigger than my current one... but then I realised that the 5.2 is only a bit shorter than my current one, but a bit deeper, and with the power supply underneath, it has plenty of space, and the thing is just over 3 Kg. Result!

I was very tempted by the patchbay too, but I'll wait until I get the board and see how I will best organise it, as I might not find it much of an improvement and I have better things to spend £50 on... but it's a very cool possibility.

Thank you! :)

Good work on taking the plunge. I know there isnt much on the web right now about them so would be good to hear your thoughts on it when you get a chance (picutes would be nice too).

Out of interest, did you go for the soft or hard case option.

I think thats a good cool on the patchbay.

3 hours ago, cLepto-bass said:

Good work on taking the plunge. I know there isnt much on the web right now about them so would be good to hear your thoughts on it when you get a chance (picutes would be nice too).

Out of interest, did you go for the soft or hard case option.

I think thats a good cool on the patchbay.

I got the soft case. The hard case is attractive but it added quite a lot and I want to keep it light, so I figured I'd try this first and explore hard cases in the future as I don't really need anything as solid as a full flightcase.

Received it on Friday. Looks pretty good in person.

NOt sure about the bag. It's functional, but I'll probably end up getting one of those plastic light cases (Kinsman and the like) to offer a bit more protection in the future.

I don't think I'll but the optional panel. It's a nice idea, but unnecessary. There's enough space below for a 4-way strip, which then allows multiple power supplies, as it may be required if using a few large draw pedals... so I think I'll just keep it as it is and find a way to fit a multiway underneath instead. 

Light and solid. Good call @cLepto-bass!!! :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The59Sound said:

I have the PT Nano. The Nano Plus might be what you're looking for?

Some people do have problems with the velcro that comes with it but I haven't had any such problems. 

I have a Nano too, that's the 'compact' one I use. The other one is something like 75cm x 35cm, so a Nano+ was still going to be a bit small to be able to replace it ;)

The Rockboard CINQUE 5.2 is 61cm x 41cm... but it allows to mount the power supplies underneath and all my pedals fit in really nicely. In fact... I can mount more! But I'll try to resist... ;)

I have one of the Palmer ones and I felt is was better made amnd thought out than the usual suspects. I ahve no affiliation with the shop but https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/guitar-department/effects-pedals/guitar-fx-accessories?filterbrand_ams_f=Palmer&filtercondition_ams_f=New&followSearch=9870

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/10/2018 at 12:55, cLepto-bass said:

I think this might be the way to go for me too, thanks for pointing it out. 

Edited by Quatschmacher