Why become a member? ×

Storing gear in warm cupboard

bonzodog

Bit of a strange one but here goes.

Having to move things round the house for various reasons and my new home for my gear is the cupboard under the stairs. Gear consists of my bass cabs, two basses in hard cases box of cables and amp head. Plus our bands two active speakers and boxed mixer.

All fine except the main supporting wall in the cupboard (opposite the door) is also on the other side as to where our log burner is for our lounge. This is only small 3.5K oven but it heats the lounge great. When it's on and I touch the wall inside the cupboard it's hot to touch but not to the point where you can't leave your hand on.

My question is whether this cupboard will be too warm for my gear as we are just about to start using the log burner again through to next Spring.

I could just keep opening the door when I use the burner but not sure if I need to and may forget. I could possibly move the basses elsewhere if they are most likely to suffer?

Anyone know if I am worrying over nothing?

I don't see how that could do any damage to the amps. Excessive heat could likely melt the glue in the cabinets at some points and maybe reflow the solder in the amp but surely for anything like that it would have be actually in the burner. I always try not to leave gear anywhere that I wouldn't to hang around in myself, so on that basis I'd imagine if you could survive happily in the cupboard then your stuff could too. Most proper electrical gear has an operating and storage temperature range in the manual. They say something like 'operating 5-30oC and storage 0-40oC' or whatever.

As for the basses, I'm sure it's not hot enough to do any damage again but obviously they're sensitive to temperature variations more than absolute heat. I could see how hot cupboard>freezing cold outside>hot car>freezing load in>hot venue might cause some setup, tuning and intonation issues. Maybe. Realistically this probably isn't that different from what most of us do every winter anyway, just that your cupboard is a little warmer than where most of us keep our gear.

EDIT - This is my 1000th post! And my 3rd actually useful one....

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with what Jack has said really. Can't imagine that the heat within the cupboard is going to cause a problem in its self. If it were me, then I think on gigging nights during the colder months, I would be taking the kit out of the cupboard and an hour or two prior to loading in to a cold car.

It's the extremes in temperature and humidity that can cause problems.

• Thanks 1