Why become a member? ×

Joe v Scott

thebigyin

I don't know Joe (will check him out) but Scotts material is good, especially his paid content - as many comment the free stuff on YouTube has become a little hit and miss 

The other guy I really like is Stuart Clayton (bass line publishing).  Last year he did a bass riff of the week series on YouTube which was great and I've got a number of his giants of bass booklets.  I recently had a Skype lesson with him for a very reasonable price to help me with a few bits I was finding difficult. I believe he's also just released some online paid for content but I've not looked at that yet.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

I like all the guys mentioned above. For non-bass material I've watched quite a few of Aimee Nolte's videos and they are pretty engaging.

One to check out who isn't on this thread yet is Adam Neely. https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5 - I'm always in danger of sitting there watching video after video. I enjoy the content, his way of explaining things and his balance between easy-to-understand theory and mind boggling detail!

• Thanks 1

I love the format of Scott's videos - he's a very approachable guy (even in real life) and the videos draw you in. They're very well presented and are generally pitched at a level that most can understand.

I can't say that I can remember any of JH's videos despite watching loads on YT.

Joe's a member here apparently (@Joe Hubbard Bass)...can't remember the last time he posted though.

2 hours ago, Dood said:

I like all the guys mentioned above. For non-bass material I've watched quite a few of Aimee Nolte's videos and they are pretty engaging.

One to check out who isn't on this thread yet is Adam Neely. https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5 - I'm always in danger of sitting there watching video after video. I enjoy the content, his way of explaining things and his balance between easy-to-understand theory and mind boggling detail!

Adam Neeley comes across as superbly arrogant... Or maybe that's just my take.

Edited by Cicero

Bit of both, depending on the topic. Joe's going to get straight down to some serious theory. You're going to ffwd through Scott's family life before getting down to business. But then again I pay for Scott and watch Joe for free.

Adam Neely is brilliant, if you like him also check out Jeff Schneider, a sax player but is going to bring some jazziness to your playing.

6 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Morning Folks just wondering who your preference is between Joe Hubbard and Scott Devine bass lessons. Both superbly talented.

I like them both up to a point - and Scott is very affable - but it has to be said I've learned as much if not more from Stuart Clayton and Hal Leonard (particularly Jaco Pastorius), along with Ed Friedland and the other educators in Bass Player and Bass Guitar magazines - and particularly some of their transcriptions. 

I sometimes feel like I'm a bit of a dinosaur in some respects amongst the Basschat populace, but am I alone in playing along to recorded music in terms of both learning and practice routines?

I also find myself turned off by educators (no names mentioned) who have and suggest certain preferences in bass guitar make/model, particularly if they conflict with my own personal preferences. 

Edited by drTStingray

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

Adam Neeley comes across as superbly arrogant... Or maybe that's just my take.

Well, everyone has their own view, that's cool. My feelings are that I would disagree. Sometimes he is to the point but I don't think it's arrogance. He does know his sh*t though, that's for sure.

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I love the format of Scott's videos - he's a very approachable guy (even in real life) and the videos draw you in. They're very well presented and are generally pitched at a level that most can understand.

I can't say that I can remember any of JH's videos despite watching loads on YT.

Joe's a member here apparently (@Joe Hubbard Bass)...can't remember the last time he posted though.

'Bout a 1-2 months ago I recall, he was telling all about his bespoke Warwick bass I think?

8 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I think Scott is great, but i'm put off by the format of his videos. I don't need to see his family, or hear him refer to everyone as "guys". It puts me off - just my personal taste.

• Like 1

Don't know about Joe Hubbard but I will check out his videos.  I find Scott Devine very watchable and have subscribed to his latest techniques course.  He's also from Carlisle so that's another plus point!  Mark Smith at Talking Bass is the one I watch most and have learned some good tips from him.  Also a shout out to Scott Whitley who's explanation of arpeggios was a light bulb moment for me.  I play one of his bass guitars (via Chowny) so he gets a thumbs up from me.  There are plenty of videos on YouTube about bass playing so I tend to mix 'n' match as needed.

14 hours ago, LeftyP said:

Mark Smith at Talking Bass

Met him at LBGS - Totally nice fella.

14 hours ago, LeftyP said:

Also a shout out to Scott Whitley

His series on slap bass was an inspiration when I was learning. Very well presented and easily understood.

Don't forget MarloweDK....discovered his videos before Scott's...some great material.

• Thanks 1

For most, Scott's videos are going to be more accessible - his output caters mainly for intermediate players, but he also throws in stuff that is useful for beginners. Joe's material is definitely aimed at intermediate / advanced students - very focused on advanced harmonic & rhythmic concepts. 

I watch & subscribe to both on YouTube as there's always something to learn from both of them - TKenrick's channel is pretty good too. 

The other two music channels I find I learn bits from are Aimee Nolte's and Rick Beato's, even though they aren't bass players...