Why become a member? ×

NBD - Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro

DaytonaRik

So a nice new and shiny Epi T'Bird landed on the doorstep to join the Gibson yesterday and very pleased with it I am too!

I'd expected some subtle differences, obviously, but what I hadn't expected was there to be so much similarity between the two.  I was dreading a look alike without it sounding anything like but I have to say that within a few minutes of plugging in those fears were blown away - there is a very authentic T'bird snarl from those USA pickups - a very Duff-esque "You Could Be Mine" tone - growly, snarly and with a edge.  I've been A/B 'ing it most of the afternoon and the Epi is definitely brighter although I expect that this is due to a large part in fresh lighter strings.  It would be a good idea to continue the comparison is a few days when I restring the Gibson.

The build quality is very good - no flaws/blemishes - with a very neat and tidy control cavity.  The truss rod is free moving (the neck needed a minor tweak but nothing of any great seriousness) and the bridge dropping a couple of mm but that was about it.   Despite the blurb saying a 7 piece neck I can definitely count 9 laminates as per the Gibson?  The vintage sunburst definitely has more of a paduk red to it and is very pleasant on the eye - makes a nice contrast to the true vintage sunburst of the Gibson.

A worthy spare and one I'm not going to dread having to reach for in the event of a string break or failure.

Anyway - as per the rules, pics or it never happened.

fullsizeoutput_f9b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f94.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f95.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f99.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f9a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f9c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f93.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f96.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f92.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f98.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f97.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f90.jpeg

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 6

Is this Epi a current model ? From the front I thought it was the bolt-on neck version. I thought the neck-through models were either active, with 4 knobs or passive with nickel hardware . Both of your 'birds make a nice pair.                                                                                                                                                                                 -(I did not want this picture of my amps to be on everything -maybe I can fix it) 

Edited by grenadillabama
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

Is this Epi a current model ? From the front I thought it was the bolt-on neck version. I thought the neck-through models were either active, with 4 knobs or passive with nickel hardware . Both of your 'birds make a nice pair.                                                                                                                                                                                 

It's new old stock as the s/n dates it as April 2016.  The new Vintage Pro ones do indeed have chrome hardware and a bridge/tailpiece rather than the 3-point bridge fitted to mine.  The model is still in the Epi stable but a lot of places are out of stock.