Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 410HLF Rewire

paul_5

I’m toying with rewiring my 410HLF to be 2 2x10 cabs (in the same box) to run 2 preamps into 2 seperate channels on my PA amp and have one half for dirty bass and the other for clean. 

Having looked at the wiring diagram from Ampeg there are 4 4ohm drivers currently wired in Series/Parallel to give the total impedance of 4ohms. 

I’d have to wire them as 2 8ohm pairs to run properly from my PA amp. Does anyone have any earthly reason why I shouldn’t do this? 

I’m using a buffered splitter and not just a shitty cobbled together lead, so the bass signal is properly split and should avoid any impedance issues, the only thing I foresee being a problem is the horn/ crossover arrangement (I intend to only use this with one of the speaker pairs) and probably some dispersion issues if the signal phases aren’t bob-on. 

Does anyone immediately think “Don’t do it!!!!”?

I have no idea, how is the box constructed BUT if it is just one space for all four speakers, some issues may be realized.

If you have two amps, both like to drive one set of speakers. Fine. If your enclosure has two individual spaces, there should be no problems.

If these speaker sets are in one enclosure and in one space, they will interact and start to drive each other. This means that one amp pushes energy to a speaker set that starts to push energy to another set. This power is then transferred to the second amp. I have seen few amps that do not like this setup. If you can separate this one bigger space to two air tight spaces, I see no problem at all. Neither do the amps.

• 4 months later...

Took the plunge today, wiredvthe top two drivers with the tweeter and sealed up the ports that connect the top half of the cab to the bottom and wired the bottom 2  (with the huge port) to a separate output jack. Planning to use the Ampeg pre with one channel of my PA amp to the ‘low’ 2x10” and my B3n through the second channel into the ‘high’ 2x10”

Added bonus is that the cab isn’t as boomy as before, so a more controlled low end. 

Win/win.