Why become a member? ×

Why does Ashdown MAG 300 combo sound so bloody good?

Beedster

As above, I've been lugging my Mesa rig, all-tube 200w head with two 2x10s to rehearsals for a while, and having got fed up of the leg work decided to use my Avalon into the PA. However, there was an Ashdown 15" combo that I thought I'd try first, and it sounded absolutely spot on from the moment I plugged in, punchy as hell and lovely sweet tone for a Precision with heavy flats. Having checked them on eBay they go for a couple of hundred quid? I asked the guy at the studio about it and he said that everyone tries to buy it off him but it's going nowhere! I just I don't get it?

No idea why I posted really :)

• Thanks 1

I always find that valve heads and multiple cabs only really sound at their best when they are really given the beans.

Or, maybe you’ve just discovered you really like 15” drivers...

Or, you just like the baked in tone that the Mag 300 has..

Or, a change is as good as a rest? 

No idea why I replied either :)

• Like 1

We have one where we rehearse and it always takes me an age to get it sounding decent. Oddly I have a MAG head I use for home rehearsal as my 1000w terror bass head might be a little overkill and that sounds great. I am not sure if they changed the design/ spec at some point but if I dial in mine the same as the other theyndont sound the same. I ave even taken it in there to see if it’s an effect of the room and it isn’t. So I would try before you buy if you can.

Just got hold of this fine ashdown mag 300w combo + 210t deep cab recently, absolutely love the sound, plenty of headroom & bottom end, it's not to heavy to move around either, I used Markbass gear for a few years but certainly wouldn't change back.

IMG_1777.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, herman said:

Just got hold of this fine ashdown mag 300w combo + 210t deep cab recently, absolutely love the sound, plenty of headroom & bottom end, it's not to heavy to move around either, I used Markbass gear for a few years but certainly wouldn't change back.

Which Markbass gear did you used to use?

Ah, Ashdown amps, a conundrum if ever there was one. They really don`t get the kudos they deserve imo. Sound great in the mix, are easy to get a variety of great sounds from, and are very reasonably priced new, let alone second hand. Ok, some of the amps/cabs/combos are heavy in relation to some of the other modern gear that`s about, but when you hear the sound in the mix, well that weight is worth it, certainly to me. And they`re not stupidly heavy anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've used nothing but Ashdown for the last 15 years or so (except for supplied rigs in studios or at festivals) and have had everything from a 'Perfect Ten' combo (I think that was its name) to my current ABM 600 & Rootmaster 800 heads, via earlier ABMs, Mag heads, an EB combo and a Touring combo. All have been excellent - I wouldn't have carried on buying them if they weren't. I can't see me straying from the brand in the future, either, great support from the guys at Ashdown (not that I've needed much) and plenty of power and tonal range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Only been using Ashdown for the past 2 years, Dave, and my Rootmaster is a 500, 800 is just showing off imo 🤣 , but my opinions are pretty much the same. I`ve bought/sold a lot of Ashdown gear to get the "right" set-up for me - all have sounded great, just wanted to find the most efficient set-up for my needs and now have it. The sound, reliability, value for money, I just can`t think of buying a different brand of amp/speaker now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is it true that Ashdown will repair your amp for free no matter what? If so compared with Markbass who only authorise one repair company which entails paying to post the bloody amp for the dubious pleasure of having a company you don't know look at it and quote whatever they like. Can't buy parts or download schematic for it. Put me right off MB.

If the Ashdown stuff is truly immortal I shall definitely investigate.

• Thanks 1

Well I`ve only had one Ashdown item not work properly, was a dodgy tweeter on a cab and they replaced that for me free of charge. I don`t know if everything would be dealt that way, but in my dealings with them  they`ve been excellent. I really rate them, both their products and the way they deal with their customers, and them being only an hours drive from me really helps if I ever need anything modding/fixing/looking at. Rather than sort couriers etc I`ll just pop the item over and explain what is occurring - the usual charge to enter the workshop is a packet of biscuits, no getting through the door without one 😀

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

Is it true that Ashdown will repair your amp for free no matter what?

They put a 5 year warranty on everything the sell new, and they design and build with a view to keeping things going indefinitely, the amp heads in particular.
I'm pretty sure they repair free of charge within the warranty period, but there's likely to be some fees once you get beyond there. I can't think of many, if any other manufacturers who can match that though. You can approach Ashdown directly which is great, as there's no middle men complicating things and trying to take a slice :)

Eude

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Every time I see a MAG combo at a rehearsal room, I shudder! Can never get a decent sound out of it. Laney RB series heads are seriously underrated...

The problem is that one bassist's perfect tone is another bassist's terrible sound! Ashdown are very good amps for people who like amps that sound like Ashdown. Fortunately, I am one of them, but there isn'a a one size fits all bass amp as far as I am aware.

Every time I see a MarkBass stack in a rehearsal room, I shudder, but plenty of people use them and like them.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

The problem is that one bassist's perfect tone is another bassist's terrible sound! Ashdown are very good amps for people who like amps that sound like Ashdown. Fortunately, I am one of them, but there isn'a a one size fits all bass amp as far as I am aware.

Every time I see a MarkBass stack in a rehearsal room, I shudder, but plenty of people use them and like them.

I've got both ( plus Ampeg, Hartke, Bugera, GK and Line 6) and can get what I like from both (all); I've found it to be a matter understanding the 'nominally flat' EQ starting points of the different manufacturers signature tone (some more pronounced than others) and adjusting that to taste. We are spoilt nowadays that there aren't many bad amps out there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

I've got both ( plus Ampeg, Hartke, Bugera, GK and Line 6) and can get what I like from both (all); I've found it to be a matter understanding the 'nominally flat' EQ starting points of the different manufacturers signature tone (some more pronounced than others) and adjusting that to taste. We are spoilt nowadays that there aren't many bad amps out there.

It's a good point, the rehearsal studio I use in Leicester has good gear, but it happens to be Mark Bass, which I only ever use when I am there - so in readiness for the next rehearsal, I have written down the EQ details from Mark Bass's site in the hope of understanding what's going on!

I started using Ashdown after the tonal comparisons to Trace Elliot. They aren't that similar TBH but they do represent great VFM - I bought a EVO11 combo for home use for about £100. Recently acquired a Little Giant head which needed some servicing and a small repair - as we all know Ashdown provide great CS - sent it down to them - serviced and repaired in a few days, they paid for the courier to me.

• 4 months later...
On 09/10/2018 at 22:54, stewblack said:

Is it true that Ashdown will repair your amp for free no matter what? If so compared with Markbass who only authorise one repair company which entails paying to post the bloody amp for the dubious pleasure of having a company you don't know look at it and quote whatever they like. Can't buy parts or download schematic for it. Put me right off MB.

If the Ashdown stuff is truly immortal I shall definitely investigate.

I'm not sure if it's a standard approach, but they've just fixed an amp FOC for me, great customer service

• Like 3

Someone mentioned the Ashdown Toneman, turns out that Musik Produktiv are now also doing their own deal with Ashdown with the "AMP" range.

Both the Toneman & the AMP appear to be based on the old ABM 300 Evo iii.

Bought an AMP 300 2x10 combo recently, and had some very good feedback about it at the last band rehearsal.