Why become a member? ×

Musical inventions

ianrendall

Easy! A recording machine with one of those pads you stick to your skull, and it records the phantastiblime songs that your brain comes up with and plays inside your head.

As this is a good machine, it'll also write down the dots in Sibelius or similar so you can edit them and build upon them.

I've wanted this machine since being a child, and I'm 62 now. If someone invents it, I'll pay 350 quid if need be... 😁

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

Something a bit more down to earth from me....straps that enable you to strap your (bass) head to the speaker when transporting them on a barrow/truck. A smaller version of the ratchet straps Truck drivers use to hold their load in place.

There must be something similar out there already but I can't find it....or should I just get in contact with Dragon's Den?

Actually I was right:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-5m-x-25mm-Blue-RATCHET-TIE-DOWN-Claw-STRAP-800kg/112781398897?epid=11013928676&hash=item1a424b9371:g:sDoAAOSwATtabgDI

2 x 5m x 25mm Blue RATCHET TIE DOWN Claw STRAP 800kg 

32 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Something a bit more down to earth from me....straps that enable you to strap your (bass) head to the speaker when transporting them on a barrow/truck. A smaller version of the ratchet straps Truck drivers use to hold their load in place.

There must be something similar out there already but I can't find it....or should I just get in contact with Dragon's Den?

Actually I was right:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-5m-x-25mm-Blue-RATCHET-TIE-DOWN-Claw-STRAP-800kg/112781398897?epid=11013928676&hash=item1a424b9371:g:sDoAAOSwATtabgDI

2 x 5m x 25mm Blue RATCHET TIE DOWN Claw STRAP 800kg 

I bought these all in a pack ,the ratchet straps would be ideal 

FEEC8B66-5EDC-4616-8E2C-39E3DED64C7F.png

• Like 1

A grip strap (whatever it's called?) would probably do. I have two that I use to strap my mic stand & guitar stand together for easy transportation. The guitarist uses a couple for the PA stands and his mic stand. I think they came from Wilco

20181006_184857.thumb.jpg.83fdf777037e653ca97520d6d27f976a.jpg

I've cut mine down and re-sealed the cut edge with a cigarette lighter 

• Like 1

I think they're called 'Cam lock straps' and yes, I use them all the time with kayaks, surfboards and paddleboards on the roof of my car with no problems. A lot easier than ratchet straps, which, quite frankly, are a pain in the Aris. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2018 at 07:16, BassTractor said:

Easy! A recording machine with one of those pads you stick to your skull, and it records the phantastiblime songs that your brain comes up with and plays inside your head.

As this is a good machine, it'll also write down the dots in Sibelius or similar so you can edit them and build upon them.

I've wanted this machine since being a child, and I'm 62 now. If someone invents it, I'll pay 350 quid if need be... 😁

Does it do TAB?

• Haha 1

On 10/06/2018 at 18:53, Norris said:

A grip strap (whatever it's called?) would probably do. I have two that I use to strap my mic stand & guitar stand together for easy transportation. The guitarist uses a couple for the PA stands and his mic stand. I think they came from Wilco

20181006_184857.thumb.jpg.83fdf777037e653ca97520d6d27f976a.jpg

I've cut mine down and re-sealed the cut edge with a cigarette lighter 

Cam straps - used to use them for fixing giant banners to football / rugby stadiums. They're brilliant, as strong as ratchet straps & less bulky.

On 05/10/2018 at 21:06, ianrendall said:

If you could invent something to help your musical endeavours, what would it be?

I’d invent a snare drum that only reacts to drumsticks and not outside acoustic interference. 

That would be rubbish! The snare rattling with the other drums gives the drum kit part of it's sound! 

I do turn mine off during the intros to songs etc as it just rattling along with a bass or guitar is a bit annoying

How about a piece of plastic or metal which you could hold between your fingers and use to strike the strings on your guitar or bass.....I'm thinking about something that looks like this:

Image result for plectrum

...but what would I call it??? a "Pick"? Maybe a "plectrum"?? What do you think??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

How about a piece of plastic or metal which you could hold between your fingers and use to strike the strings on your guitar or bass.....I'm thinking about something that looks like this:

...but what would I call it??? a "Pick"? Maybe a "plectrum"?? What do you think??

Oh no! Not again!! :dash1:

A 'pickstrum' ?

Edited by Teebs

44 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I can't see it catching on, especially in that colour!