Why become a member? ×

Weighty Topic!

LeftyP

I agree with Mark on this.  I had to buy my current bass on-line as we have one local music store with a minimal variation on the Fender theme in it.  When my bass arrived the weight took me by surprise and I have injured the internal workings of my left arm whilst trying to get my bass (in its Gator case) through a self closing door.  The weight (approx 8lbs via bathroom scales) is an issue for this soon to be 68 year old bass player.  My old Tanglewood violin bass weighs just under 2lbs (again bathroom scales so not 100% accurate).  For those of us that no longer have a music shop near at hand, the internet offers our best selection of bass guitars.  Stating the weight of each instrument is, surely,  not a lot to ask?

Scales like those can be incredible inaccurate and difficult to get the right weight. The easiest way to weigh you bass is to get a set of bathroom scales. Weigh yourself holding the bass then weigh yourself on your own. The difference is the bass

You may or may not get a shock at how much you actually weigh rather than the weight of the bass  😀

• Haha 2

I use one of these small electronic luggage scales which has the bonus that you can take it bass shopping with you. 

I got quite anal about weighing my basses a while back, but it did explain why some were so uncomfortable at gigs (tho it's a combination on weight and the balance of that weight). 

Top marks to Bass Direct and Andy Baxter Bass whose websites almost always list the weights of their basses. 

Edited by bassbiscuits

3 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Scales like those can be incredible inaccurate and difficult to get the right weight. The easiest way to weigh you bass is to get a set of bathroom scales. Weigh yourself holding the bass then weigh yourself on your own. The difference is the bass

You may or may not get a shock at how much you actually weigh rather than the weight of the bass  😀

Yes, I'll keep off those scales for a while!!