Why become a member? ×

Anybody recognise this guitar ?

edstraker123

I picked up this electroacoustic for £50 from a local seller last night. It sounds and plays fantastic and has on ovation style headstock and a roundback but no branding. Despite some serious googling I couldn't find anything like it.

Anybody seen these before ?

27719081_acousticcropped.thumb.jpg.922351244d556c0336ba401b4b471e11.jpg 

I bought it to complement my Jazzus on the wall - is that going too far ?

• Like 1

Mick, it could also be an Ovation, as it's the same head design, but the taipiece and floating bridge are quite intriguing... Not to mention  the f holes coupled to the three round holes. Very Ovation in the concept, but I'm not aware of such an instrument. I'll keep on investigating.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. the guitar is a power. I just happen to be at my brother in law and looking in a trailer full of rubbish I spyed a couple of acoustic gutars a little worse for ware, one is a dready no name. the other I had never seen before, the headstock, "f" holes are the same, colour is tabbaco burst and round plastic back and movable wooden bridge, and same tail. As soon as I get around to taking some photos' I'll post em. 

• Thanks 1

About a month ago I picked up a black 'Melody' acoustic. Italian brand bought out by Eko and branded as Eko in the late 60s/early 70s, and then back to Melody in the early 80s until they ceased production in '89.

It plays beautifully and has a surprisingly pleasing tone. The seller was told it was 60s but it's in just too good a condition to be 60s so I'm assuming it's an 80s one when the Melody brand was used again, although some oddball Eko's were sold as Melody's in the 70s. 

It's possible/likely that these were contracted to be built in the far east and some no name examples were produced and sold through other outlets. I'm also sure I've seen an Ovation with the three small holes under the strings and f holes, which this would obviously then be a copy of. 

A little about Melody guitars here, https://www.fetishguitars.com/castelfidardo-recanati/melody/

73HVmYY.jpg

hLJw6j4.jpg

61txjKm.jpg

dXvNwBR.jpg

ISFRCs3.jpg

UmDGXj4.jpg

UEZysdm.jpg

NTScoON.jpg

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/09/2020 at 01:34, songofthewind said:

Interesting looking guitar! 

Thanks 🙂

It popped up on Facebook only five minutes away for £69. I haven't played guitar for years but I just liked the look of it so grabbed it. It's nice and compact and plays far better than you'd expect, so much so I keep just picking it up and having a strum. The bowl back is very square like a traditional acoustic so it doesn't slip out of your lap like the rounded ones. It's not massively loud but I actually prefer that as I'll upset less people.