Why become a member? ×

What do audiences really want from the bass player?

Al Krow

For me bass players fall into two categories, the first stand out in the mix and really notice what they are playing, the second prop up the other players and fill in the sound, you really notice if they aren’t playing. Being in a covers band I am conscious that I cross both of those depending on the song we are playing. I guess most people would see the first as superior but if the second is what the song needs then that’s good to. As long as the punters are happy and the bass player is enjoying themselves all is good surely. In terms of set up and kit that, is very personal. One of the best sounding bass players I have ever heard was in a small reggae band I saw last year with a patched up bass running through a battered Yamaha amp into a very worn Marshall cab. No idea how he did it but the sound was amazing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, discreet said:

A good band needs a good drummer, and they are few and far between. In fact, all band members need to be at least competent and the chances of this happening are slim, realistically. Especially as most pub bands tend to be amateur.

Totally agree that a really good drummer makes a massive difference.

But you should be spoilt for choice in London - we had > 60 applicants for a dep drummer role and any of the guys we auditioned would have been excellent. It's the flip side of it being blood*y hard to get good gigs because there is just so much competition.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, krispn said:

My singer and I went out to try and scope out a new fiddle player a few years back. In a local folk bar he bumped into a friend and a regular at our gigs. “You’ll know Gav!” he says to her. “Naw don’t recognise him. Where would I know him from?” she replied. Gav! He’s been our bass player for two years. 

I knew I was doing something right and haven’t looked back since. 

Recent surveys indicate that it takes between 3 to 5 years, on average, for folk to be able to recognise a bass player. It shouldn't be too long for you now...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Recent surveys indicate that it takes between 3 to 5 years, on average, for folk to be able to recognise a bass player. It shouldn't be too long for you now...

I concur. It took until year 4 before Mrs B didn’t pick up the nearest knife when I got in from work thinking I was a burglar...

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Wow we are still gong... 

Woah there! This thread has been barely up for 24 hours 😂 It's surely an entirely complementary thread to this one, which started pretty nearly a full year before Lehman Brothers went under! 

I'm in a Glam covers band but even before that i always played the bass part as close as possible to original and then throw in the occasional little run where and when appropriate. I'm not a big fan of bass players over-playing where its not required.

I like Fat Basslines tho :laugh1:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

As a Bass player I want them to blow my mind with great riffs and to be much louder than the Geeetarist! 

The words "chance" and "fat" spring to mind.

I hope you're not at risk of turning into a fat-chancer Mick?

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

...we had > 60 applicants for a dep drummer role and any of the guys we auditioned would have been excellent.

You had 60 excellent drummers apply to be a dep..? Either that was (1) the most remarkable drumming coincidence of all time, (2) my notion of what constitutes an excellent drummer is very different from yours, or (3) you inhabit a completely new and exciting realm of reality and over-the-counter drug availability... :biggrin: Pip! Pip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s great to see so many bass players on here having enough common sense and humility to realise that (from a punters perspective) exactly what equipment they are using is generally of no importance or interest.

However, I think almost all bass players would also agree that when you manage to get ‘that’ perfect sound (whatever that is in your opinion) – then your playing immediately jumps up several notches, and the pleasure of experiencing all that wonderful bassy goodness at the ends of your fingers makes it all so worthwhile.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, discreet said:

You had 60 excellent drummers apply to be a dep..? Either that was (1) the most remarkable drumming coincidence of all time, (2) my notion of what constitutes an excellent drummer is very different from yours, or (3) you inhabit a completely new and exciting realm of reality and over-the-counter drug availability... :biggrin: Pip! Pip!

If Carlsberg made mis-quoters... 😂

> 60 applicants

The ones we auditioned were excellent. 

But did I say anywhere we auditioned ALL of them? Dunno how you organise auditions, but we have a far more streamlined approach 😄

Edited by Al Krow

What is all this talk about drummers as if they are semi-mythical creatures?? I have a phone full of drummers who are perfectly capable of playing in a decent pub level band (or better). 

The problem round here is finding credible singers...

30 minutes ago, peteb said:

What is all this talk about drummers as if they are semi-mythical creatures?? I have a phone full of drummers who are perfectly capable of playing in a decent pub level band (or better). 

The problem round here is finding credible singers...

Singers are the focal point of any band, I agree, for most of the audience. 

Again we are massively fortunate down in the "Big Smoke" that there are so many really good musicians of all varieties down here. In fact I decided the only way I was going to get into a band as a novice bass player 5 years back was to start my own band up. One of the best things I ever did :)

Whereabouts are you based? 

Anyway best go get my sh*t together for tonight's pub gig 😄

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

But did I say anywhere we auditioned ALL of them?

Actually that was a genuine assumption on my part. You didn't say how many you auditioned. Why? How many did you audition? You know what, don't bother - I really don't want to know. You're hard work, you're no fun and your thread is actually making me lose the will to live.

😩 *Unfollow*

But seriously discreet, who has time to audition 60+ applicants for a dep. drummer role? Certainly not me. It's a very odd assumption to make!

But if you're that desperate to know: we auditioned 3 having had a band discussion around a shortlist of 10. The three were all very good.

Edited by Al Krow

23 minutes ago, discreet said:

Actually that was a genuine assumption on my part. You didn't say how many you auditioned. Why? How many did you audition? You know what, don't bother - I really don't want to know. You're hard work, you're no fun and your thread is actually making me lose the will to live.

😩 *Unfollow*

Can you flounce a bit more discreetly next time? ;)

• Like 2