Jump to content
Musicman20

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Recommended Posts

Guys, check out the 3 Sigma Audio IRs. Remember with IRs, they are sampled, so if you buy an IR you will get many different samples, based on microphone and microphone positioning and sample quality - the differences are subtle but there.  I get good results with both the Mesa and Orange cabs. The Ampeg 810 IRs I always find too muddy. 

I do split my signal too and for live work I send a non IR affected signal to the PA, effectively simulating taking a DI out from an amp head, as this is far more common nowadays that actually miking a bass cab.  My second path actually has an IR in it and this is the one I send to my FRFR cabinet onstage, in order to emulate an 'on stage' sound.  If I were sending to a traditional amp/cab setup for monitoring  (as opposed to my FRFR cab) then I'd not use the IR. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Guys, check out the 3 Sigma Audio IRs. Remember with IRs, they are sampled, so if you buy an IR you will get many different samples, based on microphone and microphone positioning and sample quality - the differences are subtle but there.  I get good results with both the Mesa and Orange cabs. The Ampeg 810 IRs I always find too muddy. 

I do split my signal too and for live work I send a non IR affected signal to the PA, effectively simulating taking a DI out from an amp head, as this is far more common nowadays that actually miking a bass cab.  My second path actually has an IR in it and this is the one I send to my FRFR cabinet onstage, in order to emulate an 'on stage' sound.  If I were sending to a traditional amp/cab setup for monitoring  (as opposed to my FRFR cab) then I'd not use the IR. 

Cheers. ive seem those IR's mentioned quite a lot, along with the Ownhammer ones. Still cant quite get my head around if its worth paying for them, as im only using one IR at home.

My backline will also supply the out front sound at my gigs, as they are only small clubs and pubs, so ill need to see how well my new F112 cab works with and without an IR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the built in cab models are for classic tweeterless cabs, so they might indeed sound overly dark if you're used to a tweetered cab.

Options would be, find a new IR of a brighter cab, whack up the treble of the modelled amp, or use a LPF and EQ to create a curve that suits you instead of a full cab sim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're using your bass rig and not going through the pa, the easiest way is to just choose your chosen amp sim, add in an eq sim and go straight into your cab. Then adjust eq until you have the sound you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Most of the built in cab models are for classic tweeterless cabs, so they might indeed sound overly dark if you're used to a tweetered cab.

Options would be, find a new IR of a brighter cab, whack up the treble of the modelled amp, or use a LPF and EQ to create a curve that suits you instead of a full cab sim.

Good point - I think most of the third party IRs are also modelled on classic cabs.  Worth noting is that the IR block function has parameters covering low and high cut, level and blend so if it is too dark you have plenty of options available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Most of the built in cab models are for classic tweeterless cabs, so they might indeed sound overly dark if you're used to a tweetered cab.

Options would be, find a new IR of a brighter cab, whack up the treble of the modelled amp, or use a LPF and EQ to create a curve that suits you instead of a full cab sim.

Also adjusting the microphone section of the cabs seems to make a nice difference. Although i have no idea what each mic is supposed to sound like, i can definitly hear a difference when going through them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, la bam said:

If you're using your bass rig and not going through the pa, the easiest way is to just choose your chosen amp sim, add in an eq sim and go straight into your cab. Then adjust eq until you have the sound you want.

yeah this,  and Helix to Amp Effects Return!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, la bam said:

If you're using your bass rig and not going through the pa, the easiest way is to just choose your chosen amp sim, add in an eq sim and go straight into your cab. Then adjust eq until you have the sound you want.

This is exactly what ill be doing, although i may well end up taking the Preamp out of the Helix presets and just using it as a multi stomp box. I still need to figure out how easy it will be to adjust EQ on the Stomp over doing it using the amps knobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duel cabs is another nice way to brighten up the stock cabs if you feel they are to dark, the 810 with a guitar cab high passed and blended in to taste works well. Got some really clear yet big tones from the 810 blended with the 1x8 guitar cab on there.

It's quite DSP hungry and you have to stick a mono block of some kind after so it may not suit everyone's patches.

Ownhammers Ampeg pack has the clearest and brightest ir'sI've used, not free but really good eq'd and not eq'd  cabs with different mic mixes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking for a clean and articulate modern rock sound. I'm currently using a Grabber with fresh strings, the 400+ model and the darkglass b7k sim. I'm looking for lots of zing with a nice bottom end.

When I say I'm using headphones - I'm actually using IEMs. 

My real life rig is a Mesa 400+ trough a Fender 610 (tweeter off) mic'd with a 57.  **I'm not using this with the helix** 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...