Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

But I can’t unsee it!!

I am actually hoping I can. I'm having weird problems with my BC experience! I'm actually using a different browser now in the hope that it stops bugging me lol..

7 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Yes, I’m still awake...

From 11:00 onwards in the video below one of the Line 6 guys talks about the power requirements and says they’ve managed to get the HX Stomp working with a few popular pedalboard power supplies. Things are looking up!

This vid actually covers a lot of really useful specifics. Definitely worth a watch.

Hah - Pastor of Muppets. I like that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Well, I sold the original floor Helix I owned because it was simply too large, and too expensive for my needs. I wasn't going to use a lot of it. 

Then I considered the HX effects. But, I held back. 

I have a boatload of effects pedals for guitar and bass, and I'm constantly changing what fuzz I use....and I also have a Boss ES-8 so I can use the midi side.

For me, this is the perfect little box for guitar and bass. I don't have hugely complex signal chains....I just like having choice as to different sounds....

So, after sending back an expensive Gibson guitar, this is a relatively cheap addition to my gear. I've pre-ordered one....it ticks all the boxes!

Basically, a high end version of the Zoom B3/G3 all in one box, with extra features and constant updates.

Nice summary. So that's two pre-orders already in so far... 

I've spotted another potential problem. Unless the two outputs can be configured as two completely independent outs, you can't use the volume control to set your on-stage volume without also affecting any DI to the PA.

The Helix (full version) allows me to send one output at full volume to the PA and the other via the Helix's volume control to my FRFR stage monitor.

10 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I've spotted another potential problem. Unless the two outputs can be configured as two completely independent outs, you can't use the volume control to set your on-stage volume without also affecting any DI to the PA.

The Helix (full version) allows me to send one output at full volume to the PA and the other via the Helix's volume control to my FRFR stage monitor.

Not an issue for us. We just use the PA mixer to sort that out.

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Would it not be possible to insert a signal split at the very end of the Stomp’s signal chain, with Path A going to the left output and Path B going to the right output, and an expression controller set to adjust volume of Path B?

Failing that, a workaround I see is to have the main outs going to Desk/PA and the headphone out going to on stage FRFR - in the global menu the volume knob can be set to only control the headphone output, with the main outs remaining at unity.

39 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I don't think I see "potential problems" when Line 6 have managed to squeeze such an incredible amount in to one tiny box. There's got to be some end to the brilliance somewhere lol.

• Like 1

@CameronJ re the final part.

Yes for sure, I suspect that there may be a fair few pedals whose day's are numbered on my board!

Just thinking aloud: I would be surprised if it came close to being a great synth pedal like the FI or perhaps rivalling the SA Manta as a filter. Will it get close to doing an OC2 sound like my Valeton OC-10? And my Keeley Bassist as a Limiter is superb. Does anything really come close to a DOD Meatbox for subsonic filth? And what about gated fuzz like the Mastotron? 

But digital dirt (SA Aftershock) or detuned polyphonic octave up (Digitech Mosaic), 'basic' down sweep filter (MXR BEF) as well as my existing multis (Zoom B3n and MS-60B) could all well be taking their leave and a bunch of pedals likely to never get bought (Scrutator bit crusher, Nemesis delay, MXR bass chorus deluxe...)

Exciting times! 😎 - I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on this new little marvel. 

49 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Would it not be possible to insert a signal split at the very end of the Stomp’s signal chain, with Path A going to the left output and Path B going to the right output, and an expression controller set to adjust volume of Path B?

Failing that, a workaround I see is to have the main outs going to Desk/PA and the headphone out going to on stage FRFR - in the global menu the volume knob can be set to only control the headphone output, with the main outs remaining at unity.

Those would work. I'd probably go the second route to save on blocks.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

That photo seems to be defying the laws of physics. And now I can’t I see it either!!

@Al Krow, the final part of the post below may be of particular interest:

F335DE17-FA2E-4DE5-8C2A-5CC7B98628E4.thumb.jpeg.90bf3763e214ee80ddc10c368e6183e5.jpeg

Can someone give some good starting point settings for the B7K emulation?

Because the default setting sounds horrible and every adjustment I make seems to make it worse.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I've been looking at the specs.

So it has all the models / cabs / fx etc - BUT it only has 6 blocks in the chain (only 1 processor)

But looking at 99% of my live patches, I haven't got more than 6 blocks in most of them anyway.

I am nursing a semi.... been going round in my head, how many blocks do I use... my HX has ample with 9, with just fx. This has 6, including amps/cabs is not much but it should be enough for most situations, especially if you like me also use seperate pedals. 

But my HX is going nowhere, besides the form factor I do not need amp/cab sims and I like the fact my HX controles my entire board. But as a standalone mini gigging solution.... yum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@CameronJ re the final part.

Yes for sure, I suspect that there may be a fair few pedals whose day's are numbered on my board!

Just thinking aloud: I would be surprised if it came close to being a great synth pedal like the FI or perhaps rivalling the SA Manta as a filter. Will it get close to doing an OC2 sound like my Valeton OC-10? And my Keeley Bassist as a Limiter is superb. Does anything really come close to a DOD Meatbox for subsonic filth? And what about gated fuzz like the Mastotron? 

But digital dirt (SA Aftershock) or detuned polyphonic octave up (Digitech Mosaic), 'basic' down sweep filter (MXR BEF) as well as my existing multis (Zoom B3n and MS-60B) could all well be taking their leave and a bunch of pedals likely to never get bought (Scrutator bit crusher, Nemesis delay, MXR bass chorus deluxe...)

Exciting times! 😎 - I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on this new little marvel. 

It may not do an OC2 sound, but it does has an octaver patch modelled specifically on the EBS Octabass which is a great sounding analogue pedal. I’d say the OC2 is a bit more synthy whereas the Octabass is more growly. Comparison video below:

Additionally, there’s an updated model of the Mutron III envelope filter in the Helix which could feasibly kick the stompbox equivalent off our boards too. Need to find a demo of that particular effect block on the Helix...

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Doesn't that mean there is only one path through, so you can't split a signal and put different parts of it through different effects?

You can still do split signal paths (Y, A/B or Crossover) and route them as you wish through different effects blocks, within the limitations of the 6-block limit

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

You can still do split signal paths (Y, A/B or Crossover) and route them as you wish through different effects blocks, within the limitations of the 6-block limit

OK, so you could split the bass out, feed the treble through the 6 effects and mix them back together at the end?

Actually, @Woodinblack, ignore my nonsense re: split points using up a block. I think you’re right in that you’ll be able to use 6 Effects blocks regardless of splits! Check out this screenshot of the Andertons demo vid:

C858218C-B165-42B3-A34A-CFF4657496A9.thumb.jpeg.a894b6b619d878e2d70f5f8b9bbc1a25.jpeg

Clearly using 6 effect blocks in addition to the split/merge points.

Also, bear in mind that there is an “invisible” adjustable noise gate at the start of the chain and a global EQ at the end of the chain, neither of which take up a block.

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Actually, @Woodinblack, ignore my nonsense re: split points using up a block. I think you’re right in that you’ll be able to use 6 Effects blocks regardless of splits! Check out this screenshot of the Andertons demo vid:

C858218C-B165-42B3-A34A-CFF4657496A9.thumb.jpeg.a894b6b619d878e2d70f5f8b9bbc1a25.jpeg

Clearly using 6 effect blocks in addition to the split/merge points.

Also, bear in mind that there is an “invisible” adjustable noise gate at the start of the chain and a global EQ at the end of the chain, neither of which take up a block.

Noise gate and EQ for free? Decent. 

2 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Noise gate and EQ for free? Decent. 

Yep! They’re both global though, so you lose the ability to adjust their settings on a per-patch basis. If you need that functionality you’ll have to insert a noise gate or EQ effect block into the patch itself.

• Like 1