Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

2 minutes ago, Muzz said:

On that, mine failed several times on a warm gig recently - tapping the tuner switch (I have mine set as simple patch up, patch down, tuner) brought it back to life, but it was very disturbing. It seemed to be very hot...

Oh dear, this is starting to look like a serious design flaw.

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

On that, mine failed several times on a warm gig recently - tapping the tuner switch (I have mine set as simple patch up, patch down, tuner) brought it back to life, but it was very disturbing. It seemed to be very hot...

@Osiris any comments?

2 hours ago, Adee said:

@Osiris any comments?

Mine started dropping volume for a few seconds on a gig, but only once it had been on for a couple of hours. This makes me think it's probably a hardware issue. After resetting the global settings (I couldn't find anything in the manual about a factory reset, if anyone knows if and how this can be done please post the details here) I gigged it again the following week. The drop outs got longer and longer, up to a few minutes at a time which is obviously unacceptable on a gig so I used my Zoom MS-60B to finish the gig (and for the following gig). Anyway, it was all under warranty so it went back to PMT who will be replacing it once they have some more in stock. 

• Thanks 1

Very high current consumption on this pedal (compared to most) 

"Gets hot with long use" 

"Starts losing volume / cuts out" 

=> sounds like circuits frying to me. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Mine started dropping volume for a few seconds on a gig, but only once it had been on for a couple of hours. This makes me think it's probably a hardware issue. After resetting the global settings (I couldn't find anything in the manual about a factory reset, if anyone knows if and how this can be done please post the details here) I gigged it again the following week. The drop outs got longer and longer, up to a few minutes at a time which is obviously unacceptable on a gig so I used my Zoom MS-60B to finish the gig (and for the following gig). Anyway, it was all under warranty so it went back to PMT who will be replacing it once they have some more in stock. 

Power it on holding footswitch 1 and 3.

.... I think

It’s definitely intermittent: as I said, the following day I had it in use for much longer (4 hours) without a twitch, although it was much cooler and the unit itself wasn’t running as hot. 

When it was dropping all output, I restarted it the first time, but then noticed the second time that tapping switch 3 brought it back.

Odd, but as Al says, it sounds more hardware related than software.

8 hours ago, GisserD said:

Power it on holding footswitch 1 and 3.

.... I think

5 minutes ago, Muzz said:

When it was dropping all output, I restarted it the first time, but then noticed the second time that tapping switch 3 brought it back..

Cheers guys, If the new one starts doing the same I'll give both of these options a go and report back. Although I did reboot mine mid gig a couple of times to no avail. 

I'll also be getting a refund too if I'm that unlucky!

For the record, mine was running warm but not hot, I wouldn't like to put a figure on the actual temperature but probably no more than 10 degrees above ambient in a warm pub. 

57 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Cheers guys, If the new one starts doing the same I'll give both of these options a go and report back. Although I did reboot mine mid gig a couple of times to no avail. 

I'll also be getting a refund too if I'm that unlucky!

For the record, mine was running warm but not hot, I wouldn't like to put a figure on the actual temperature but probably no more than 10 degrees above ambient in a warm pub. 

That makes it hotter than the sun

Hi, i’m interested to buy an Helix HX, but i saw there is no xlr out but the jack output is balanced, i have to use an adapter to run it into the pa? Is the product long liver or it’s better if i try to save more money for the lt version ?

20 minutes ago, C0ndor said:

Hi, i’m interested to buy an Helix HX, but i saw there is no xlr out but the jack output is balanced, i have to use an adapter to run it into the pa? Is the product long liver or it’s better if i try to save more money for the lt version ?

You don't need an adapter, just a trs to xlr cable which is pretty common (although generally you could go straight in anyway).

Not sure what you mean about the liver.

If you want more slots and have more space, get the LT, otherwise the HX stomp is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, C0ndor said:

Sorry, i mean, i read something about the helix becoming hot and dropping volume, is a common hardware problem?

Well, there are some accounts of it above but it is certainly not a widespread thing, we are on page 39 of this thread and it only cropped up a page ago!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took mine out for it's first outing Sunday having owned and used it at home since December  and it just  wouldn't power up. Appears to be an issue with the power supply (I think). Very, very frustrating. When you have everything in one box you forget how stuck you are when that box decides it's not going to play ball. It's still in warranty and being returned for fix/replacement. Anybody else had power supply issues? 

21 hours ago, ryancowell25 said:

I took mine out for it's first outing Sunday having owned and used it at home since December  and it just  wouldn't power up. Appears to be an issue with the power supply (I think). Very, very frustrating. When you have everything in one box you forget how stuck you are when that box decides it's not going to play ball. It's still in warranty and being returned for fix/replacement. Anybody else had power supply issues? 

Oh dear it's not been a good 'PR' couple of weeks for the Stomp has it? And just when I am finally getting to grips with and appreciating what a good effects-patch software editor HX Edit is! I was even thinking of maybe trading in my little Zoom B1X-4, but sounds like it would useful to keep that around as a back up.

Edited by Al Krow

There may be a few isolated incidents of hardware malfunction but (and this isn’t to brush the issues under the carpet for those who have had issues) but when a company the size of Line 6/Yamaha mass produces such a complex product line as Helix, there will always be the odd problem here and there with a small percentage of units. Think of how many tens of thousands of Helix/Rack/LT/Stomp/Effects units there must be worldwide. It’s inevitable with an operation of this scale.

Plus, Line 6 have shown themselves to be very responsive to customers with product issues so personally I’m not worried. Though as @Al Krow says, always have a back up plan just in case.

p.s. In the case of folk having issues with power when running the Stomp from a non-official power supply, Line 6 explicitly say they don’t encourage people to use anything other than the Line 6 PSU. If using a third party power supply make sure you’re supplying enough current. Some people have gotten away with powering the stomp with 1A...depending on your usage not everyone will be able to do so reliably. Some pedalboard power supplies have greater tolerances than others. Do your homework folks.

• Like 2

@CameronJ I fully agree with that. I'm one of the ones who has had an issue with my stomp but I don't think that that automatically means that they're all ticking time bombs. I've been around the block a few times and realise that these things happen, it's a PITA but in the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world. I seem to remember reading somewhere (it could have been an unsubstantiated claim online) that the electronics industry considers a failure rate of 5% to be acceptable, if that's true, the people making our consumer electronics expect to have a failure rate of up to 1 in 20 units. But I suspect that in reality the failure rate is lower than that. It happens, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 21:36, Adee said:

I’ve just installed a CS6 under my Pedaltrain Nano+ fits perfectly powering HXS and G70 Wireless using current doublers for both, it runs cooler and hopefully less chance of any issues, very tidy! Andertons currently have them at a good price

I’m using a CS6 and the doubler for the Stomp, and the reverse polarity patch too. Wasn’t going to double up the G75, reckon I should or just the one 9v supply should suffice 

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Oh dear it's not been a good 'PR' couple of weeks for the Stomp has it? And just when I am finally getting to grips with and appreciating what a good effects-patch software editor HX Edit is! I was even thinking of maybe trading in my little Zoom B1X-4, but sounds like it would useful to keep that around as a back up.

Well if you want to swap it your stomp for my B3n I figure that will be bombproof ... and I’ll even buy you another one just to make sure!

• Haha 1