Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You can alter the order of the patches on the B3n if you want to

It's not the order of the patches, it's the order of effects within a patch. At the moment if the effects I want to be able to switch on/off within a patch aren't next to each other in the chain then I have to scroll through them to make them switchable. It's not impossible but is a bit of a pain. I like the fact that the HXeffects has 6 with easy non-scrolling access. ...unless I've missed an update (Have spent most of the last couple of months reading various helix threads so may have missed it)

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney

8 minutes ago, Apeneck Sweeney said:

It's not the order of the patches, it's the order of effects within a patch. At the moment if the effects I want to be able to switch on/off within a patch aren't next to each other in the chain then I have to scroll through them to make them switchable. It's not impossible but is a bit of a pain. I like the fact that the HXeffects has 6 with easy non-scrolling access. ...unless I've missed an update (Have spent most of the last couple of months reading various helix threads so may have missed it)

Have you discovered the Tone-Lib PC editing software for the B3n? https://tonelib.net/  Should make everything you're trying to do above a doddle / fun.

Edited by Al Krow

45 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Have you discovered the Tone-Lib PC editing software for the B3n? https://tonelib.net/  Should makes everything your trying to do above a doddle / fun.

Yes. It's very good and easy to use but if my effects chain is ABCDEF I still can't make switch 1,A switch 2, C and switch 3, F. it has to be ABC, BCD, CDE etc. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the Stomp thread talking about B3n but it is a feature in the Helix that I like. I'm trying to convince myself to wait but to do that I should really stop reading this thread but I can't see that happening.

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney
spelling

36 minutes ago, Apeneck Sweeney said:

Yes. It's very good and easy to use but if my effects chain is ABCDEF I still can't make switch 1,A switch 2, C and switch 3, F. it has to be ABC, BCD, CDE etc. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the Stomp thread talking about B3n but it is a feature in the Helix that I like. I'm trying to convince myself to wait but to do that I should really stop reading this thread but I can't see that being vey successful.

Well tbf there are a few of us on this thread who are also massive B3N fans and remain so (me included!). Didn't manage to stop us making the step-up to the Stomp, so you won't be alone in doing that if you do decide to take the plunge! :) 

It's the promise of the better quality chip set with significantly greater processing power => greater tonal emulation of dedicated bass effects that is the big draw for me.

16 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Plus.... The promise of continuing support and updates is a big reason I turned on to helix. 

That's also true of the B3N, though. Zoom are regularly releasing updates.

Whereas Helix have pretty much shafted HX owners with the release of the Stomp, so Line6 are not complete angels. 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's also true of the B3N, though. Zoom are regularly releasing updates.

No b3 update though

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Whereas Helix have pretty much shafted HX owners with the release of the Stomp, so Line6 are not complete angels. 

Have they? How so?

would like to know as I have just bought a hx rather than a stomp

51 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Have they? How so?

would like to know as I have just bought a hx rather than a stomp

I've also just bought HX instead of Stomp. I've just made the decision to sell my LT based on my weekend experiences of HX. I'm not sure how Line 6 have shafted HX owners, unless there's something I've missed. HX is for a different demographic, if that's the right word.

9 minutes ago, Dood said:

I'm not sure how Line 6 have shafted HX owners, unless there's something I've missed. HX is for a different demographic, if that's the right word.

Agreed 100%. They’re aimed at two different target markets, though there is obviously a fair amount of crossover between the two. No shafting here.

5 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Agreed 100%. They’re aimed at two different target markets, though there is obviously a fair amount of crossover between the two. No shafting here.

Yep, seeing the Stomp and HX as the same thing is totally missing the point of the HX. I adore my HX for what it is, a multi fx processor/pedalboard controller.

I was on the fence about the HX, I wanted the amp sims but the other units were too big and expensive. If I had decided to forfeit the amp sims and get one anyway, I would have felt shafted for sure when the Stomp came out with amp sims, a smaller form factor and a USB audio interface.

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Did you buy new or used Woody? 

I bought used from someone on this very forum.

I was trying to decide whether to go for an LT or an HX and got contacted with an HX for sale, so went for that. Obviously the LT had all the stuff, but the size was a bit off-putting as was the price. The Full helix was way out for price. 

The Stomp, although interesting, wasn't something I would have gone for, too few blocks, too few buttons.. 

Edited by Woodinblack

4 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Yep, seeing the Stomp and HX as the same thing is totally missing the point of the HX. I adore my HX for what it is, a multi fx processor/pedalboard controller.

Of course you would say that and fair enough you love your pedal. But you're a far more sophisticated user than most. 

Be interesting to see how long before Line6 stop pushing the HX. Give it 18 months. 

If they were looking to develop the HX product they would have done the simple and "right thing" of providing it with cab sims. How hard would that have been? I'm a bit annoyed for my fellow BCers who bought the HX that they have refused to do so. 

I see the HX becoming a used purchase product with new sales being mainly of the Stomp. Just one person's view of course. 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If they were looking to develop the HX product they would have done the simple and "right thing" of providing it with cab sims. How hard would that have been?

Very hard - what would be the point of the Helix LT then if a unit half the price and half the size did the same thing? 

No, easier to make a cut down unit with less DSP for people who want just the amps - I am surprised they didn't do an HX Amps, but then maybe that is what the stomp is effectively. I find the amps quite uninteresting compared to the effects. I have amps. I can have all the modelling I want, but my 2 x 12" Tc cabs and TC450 isn't going to sound the same as an ampeg and 8x10 however good they are, so until I am going straight into a PA without an amp it has less interest for me.

I think you just want different things.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just one person's view of course. 

This...

2 people above just indicated they bought the HX over the stomp. If anything the Stomp gives people who feel a full fat or LT is overkill the option to go Helix without the large/complex real estate. So it lowers the threshold. But that does not mean the bigger version or HX aren’t right for those who have different needs. 

17 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I was on the fence about the HX, I wanted the amp sims but the other units were too big and expensive. If I had decided to forfeit the amp sims and get one anyway, I would have felt shafted for sure when the Stomp came out with amp sims, a smaller form factor and a USB audio interface.

That is missing the point of the HX..... different thing, different application.

53 minutes ago, Dood said:

I've also just bought HX instead of Stomp. I've just made the decision to sell my LT based on my weekend experiences of HX. I'm not sure how Line 6 have shafted HX owners, unless there's something I've missed. HX is for a different demographic, if that's the right word.

I was interested in that - so what was it that made you choose that, was it a size thing or you just didn't need all of it? I mean otherwise the LT has all of the HX plus more.

2 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Based on what you’ve said, HX Effects would have a been a compromise (for you) from the start. Surely you would have been shafted whether the Stomp came along or not, since you’d have bought a product which didn’t have all the features you really wanted in the first place? I deliberately didn’t buy the HX Effects because it was missing certain features I wanted. Lo and behold Line 6 met my needs with Stomp. There are a few features in HX Effects that I wish Stomp had, such as the ability to send MIDI CCs, but I can live with that. It gives me a reason to potentially acquire an HX Effects later down the line.

Line 6 won’t be adding amps to the Effects. It isn’t the “right thing” to do because it’s specifically aimed at guitarists who wanted Helix-grade effects but have no intention of letting their real amps go. The fact it has the ability to do amp channel switching and the like reinforces this.

Nor will Line 6 be kicking HX Effects to the curb prematurely - it plays a solid role in their family of products.

The point is many people wanted a mini box with Helix technology, wishing the HX was perhaps smaller and had the amp models, but buying it anyway because it was the only option available. Then Line6 come out and release what they actually wanted in the first place!

Also, I'm not only interested in the amps to use as amps, but rather to use them as effects. I managed to get very close to my Darkglass Alpha Omega by blending a Fuzz Face in parallel with a Hiwatt tube amp for example, or getting close to the sound of the DuG pedal by sending my highs to a guitar amp.

Edited by dannybuoy

16 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The point is many people wanted a mini box with Helix technology, wishing the HX was perhaps smaller and had the amp models, but buying it anyway because it was the only option available. Then Line6 come out and release what they actually wanted in the first place!

+1 ^^

Exactly this in a nutshell.

33 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

2 people above just indicated they bought the HX over the stomp. If anything the Stomp gives people who feel a full fat or LT is overkill the option to go Helix without the large/complex real estate. So it lowers the threshold. But that does not mean the bigger version or HX aren’t right for those who have different needs. 

2 folk have just bought the HX, both used purchases? (which is to my point).

8 folk have just bought a new Stomp. Clearly they decided to go for this over the HX. Quod erat demonstrandum

Just one person's view of course.