Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

You can get the 2.5mm to 2.1mm barrel adaptors here, 32.5p each. The power jack & adaptor will stick out a bit though, I've got my board patch box up against them so I don't knock them or snap them off.

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-cn-dca-002-2-1mm-to-2-5mm-dc-power-plug-adaptor-85-2916

I'm running my Stomp (and a handful of low current draw pedals) off a 1-Spot with no problems.

On 02/01/2019 at 13:31, udo said:

I guess it all depends on the sound person as always as they control your sound in the end, but my worry would be that it sounds a bit too dark or muddy with the sims enabled. Has anyone ever got feedback on this after a show? 

Only compliments so far, and I like what I hear too. I'm mainly using the Flip Top and Bassman models but I also like the AC30 and Plexi models on bass. When using amp sims I run straight into my head FX return so I bypass the preamp and just use the power stage into my speaker.

11 hours ago, tonyclaret said:

Thinking of using a One spot on my Stomp. So no polarity issues, just barrell size? Probably have something lying around somewhere. Why the hell is it not a standard size!

Just barrel size.

Line 6 deliberately made the barrel an awkward size to act as a disincentive to people running the Stomp (and HX Effects) off of non-official power supplies. Annoying for those of us wanting to run Stomos on pedalboards but I do get why Line 6 did it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have read through the thread and am just about to order the Stomp but am unclear about one (a few) issues.  Apologies if it has been covered already, I'm kinda new to these units...

I currently use a GK Plex preamp into a recently acquired Boss GT1-B into a Barefaced FR800 FRFR powered cab.  I have been using the Plex into the FR800 for a while and it sounds great.  I got the GT1-B to see how I could utilise some effects and really like it in general, but I think the Stomp is a step up in terms of quality (and I like the amp/cab sims).

I intend to replace the Plex and GT-1B with the Stomp.  I want to keep things simple (suits my brain...).  So I have a few questions:

1. There is no volume control on the FR800 so the volume will be controlled by the master volume on the Stomp.  I can take the L/Mono Out in to the FR800. This should be fine. If I am DI'ing into the PA and If I use the Right out, I assume if I change the master volume I change the level going out to the PA as well as the level going to the cab?

2. If that is the case, can I use the Send to send a signal to the PA (set it to Line level) and will the master volume affect this output?

3. If it doesn't affect this output is the signal sent though the Send pre or post effects?  I would want it post effects obviously.  Can I choose where in the chain it is?

Apologies if this has been covered already and thanks for any advice!

Barry

Funny... I was about to post the same question!  I.e. two outputs, but control the level going to one without affecting the level going to the other.

I think 'Send' is unbalanced, so not great for sending to FOH.  Instead, I wondered if you'd use 'Output' to go PA, and 'Send' to the FR800?   

I'm reading the 'Send/Return' part of the manual (page 28) - description of knob 1: "Adjusts the level sent to your external devices."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Funny... I was about to post the same question!  I.e. two outputs, but control the level going to one without affecting the level going to the other.

I think 'Send' is unbalanced, so not great for sending to FOH.  Instead, I wondered if you'd use 'Output' to go PA, and 'Send' to the FR800?   

I'm reading the 'Send/Return' part of the manual (page 28) - description of knob 1: "Adjusts the level sent to your external devices."

Using 'Send' to the FR800 could be fine as long as it is post-effects.

8 minutes ago, bazzjazz said:

Using 'Send' to the FR800 could be fine as long as it is post-effects.

I am looking at the manual now and it looks like you can put the Send wherever you want in the chain so that's good, but the master volume controls the outputs and headphones only, and the FR800 does not have a volume control so no way to control my volume... so I think it has to go into the standard L/mono out....

From reading the manual, I believe you would:

1. Press the 'View' button to get into edit mode;
  2. Rotate the 'Upper Knob' until the 'send' block is selected;
  3. Rotate Knob #1 to adjust the level.

It's not as convenient as a single dedicated knob, but for me I think it would be ok (it's not something I'd do very often; but those times when I do, it's important that I can do it reasonably quickly).  Can someone confirm if I've got it right?

Edited by jrixn1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

From reading the manual, I believe you would:

1. Press the 'View' button to get into edit mode;
  2. Rotate the 'Upper Knob' until the 'send' block is selected;
  3. Rotate Knob #1 to adjust the level.

It's not as convenient as a single dedicated knob, but for me I think it would be ok (it's not something I'd do very often; but those times when I do, it's important that I can do it reasonably quickly).  Can someone confirm if I've got it right?

I think you're right.

What I'm looking at now is to use the Left out to send the signal to the FR800, and the volume on the Stomp can control that.  Then use the Send with either a TRS -> XLR adapter, or a DI box to the desk.  There's some discussion of this earlier in this thread.

I'm reading the manual again, and another question:  I use two basses at gig, but only want to play one at a time, with the other one muted; i.e. set the HX Stomp up as an AB pedal:

1. Physically connect upright bass to Input L, and bass guitar to Input R
  2. Upright preset has a 'Split > Y' block with BalanceA panned to L100, followed by a mixer block with B Level set to zero (followed by my upright effects).
  3. Bass guitar preset: same, except BalanceA panned to R100 (followed by my bass guitar effects).

Will that work?  Or will it do something weird like upright only comes out of the L output and bass guitar only comes out of R output?

28 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I'm reading the manual again, and another question:  I use two basses at gig, but only want to play one at a time, with the other one muted; i.e. set the HX Stomp up as an AB pedal:

2. Upright preset has a 'Split > Y' block with BalanceA panned to L100, followed by a mixer block with B Level set to zero (followed by my upright effects).
  3. Bass guitar preset: same, except BalanceA panned to R100 (followed by my bass guitar effects).

Will that work?  Or will it do something weird like upright only comes out of the L output and bass guitar only comes out of R output?

i'm pretty sure that will work.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yeah that should work. You could definitely have upright coming out of L and electric coming out of R if you wanted to, but both signals coming from the same output also works.

• Like 1

After my earlier spiel on the reasons Line 6 haven’t made presets interchangeable between all members of the Helix/HX family...in their latest update they’ve only gone and done just that xD

2AEE3500-C177-4151-8FE6-E70221812145.thumb.png.f06d8b92a45afe2373e2b8f06aa23343.png

I suspect this is a result of the under-the-hood work L6 have been doing on the Helix OS code. Plus, it looks like the Helix Native discount now applies to owners of all Helix/HX products, not just Full Helix?! Good news if so!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

After my earlier spiel on the reasons Line 6 haven’t made presets interchangeable between all members of the Helix/HX family...in their latest update they’ve only gone and done just that xD

2AEE3500-C177-4151-8FE6-E70221812145.thumb.png.f06d8b92a45afe2373e2b8f06aa23343.png

I suspect this is a result of the under-the-hood work L6 have been doing on the Helix OS code. Plus, it looks like the Helix Native discount now applies to owners of all Helix/HX products, not just Full Helix?! Good news if so!

does this mean if someone has designed a patch/tone for full helix or lt, that you can use on a stomp?

1 hour ago, la bam said:

does this mean if someone has designed a patch/tone for full helix or lt, that you can use on a stomp?

As long as it used 6 blocks or less...yes.

And provided those 6 or less blocks didn’t exceed the DSP limit of the Stomp...yes!

If you are ok with just PC messages (no tuner access just preset change) this is what I am using. For £54 its a bargain.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/one-control-gecko-mkii-midi-switcher-20-presets-ideal-for-live-use

I only tune once every set anyway so I am ok with bending down to press the page button for tuning. 

B019F87F-B893-4848-AF3C-BAB95DDE4F6F.jpeg

Edited by ordep
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ordep said:

If you are ok with just PC messages (no tuner access just preset change) this is what I am using. For £54 its a bargain.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/one-control-gecko-mkii-midi-switcher-20-presets-ideal-for-live-use

I only tune once every set anyway so I am ok with bending down to press the page button for tuning. 

B019F87F-B893-4848-AF3C-BAB95DDE4F6F.jpeg

Excellent, thanks. I've recently got the Gecko MKIII so it sounds like that should also work well with the Stomp. 

On 27/01/2019 at 23:35, MarshallBTB said:

How are people getting on with these in a live situation? 

Considering changing from the hx effects, I hardly touch the thing during a gig and have got my basic patch down to 5/6 blocks now too. Would like a smaller board! 

Love it. Really liking the snapshot mode. It's intuitive, 10 mins and I'd got it.

Is this new update with the SVT-4 Pro and the Sansamp BDDI v2 released yet and if so does anybody have a verdict? Also I am hoping an amp sim pedal such as the Sansamp is classed as a stompbox rather than an amp, so that HX users can get in on the action.

I have the DuG pedal and am eyeing up the Geddy one, but the Helix might be able to replace both if I can run a BDDI with parallel chains and compressors. Plus I already know it can nail a B7K sound!

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Is this new update with the SVT-4 Pro and the Sansamp BDDI v2 released yet and if so does anybody have a verdict? Also I am hoping an amp sim pedal such as the Sansamp is classed as a stompbox rather than an amp, so that HX users can get in on the action.

Not  yet, March or April apparently. I think it is an effect rather than a amp block. The Ampeg scrambler will be there too

steve

• Like 1