Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

I definitely don't need one of these.

i've got a Zoom B3 and a G3n which cover all my tone shaping needs and more... and while a one-box solution would be slightly more convenient, I don't gig on guitar and rarely need or use anything more than a tuner for the gigs I do on bass.

So the real question is....... will I be able to hold out until the price drops a bit before splashing out on one? :D

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Mrs B pipes up tonight

”So what bass related tat do you want for commericalmas this year then? I suppose you want one of those little Helix Stamp things?”

”If you say so, dear..”

:D

Man, I gotta get me one of those Mrs B's

1 hour ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Oh no... I'd convinced myself that I was going to get the LT... but this is great...plus the footprint is still a lot smaller than the LT...

Well you're a Yamaha bass player, so you're obviously a smart guy with taste 😄 So I'm not surprised you've done the math and worked out the Stomp is a potentially great option! 😎 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well you're a Yamaha bass player, so you're obviously a smart guy with taste 😄 So I'm not surprised you've done the math and worked out the Stomp is a potentially great option! 😎 

I love the look of the LT...but... the compact nature of this set up is to good to pass on...

I'm thinking the stomp ... mooer di pedal (I can't get my head around not having an xlr out) and/or trs lead is what I'm going to go with...

Edited by hookys6stringbass

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

If you have that much space and money to dedicate to it, wouldn't you be better getting a helix LT?

A midi controller could make more cost / space / benefit sense if you have multiple digital devices that could benefit from being midi controlled e.g. Source Audio pedals with multiple presets accessible through your midi pedal. You don't need to get something as expensive or as big as the one in the video. 

Edited by Al Krow

29 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You don't need to get something as expensive or as big as the one in the video. 

Agreed, I have been thinking for ages of making one, it is just the way of working out how to control it without tap dancing that is the issue!

Just that if that was your only reason, it would seem a bit over the top. But I guess one persons expensive is anothers bargain. I still haven't got to the stage I could justify something like a helix for what I do. I have enough difficulty trying to decide if I want to upgrade the B3 to a B3n

Speaking of petite midi controllers (bottom right) and leaving a Stomp sized gap in anticipation for the new arrival (hopefully later this week), here's what I think my board is otherwise going to be looking like (with the B3N and MS-60B having now both been put out to pasture!): 

PB - 1811 I (concept).jpg

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

If you have that much space and money to dedicate to it, wouldn't you be better getting a helix LT?

To buy a Stomp and a Morningstar controller would cost a bit under £700. Admittedly not far off the price of the LT @ around £750 but it does make for a significantly more compact (and modular) setup than an LT. Still easily thrown into the front pocket of a decent gig bag. Personally, I’d go for it!

Much as I love the idea of a “full fat” Helix, I always found the size to be a massive disincentive to buying one. Especially as I’d  always be adding other pedals via FX loops, further blowing up the footprint.

Edited by CameronJ

Just now, CameronJ said:

To buy a Stomp and a Morningstar controller would cost a bit under £700. Admittedly not far off the price of the LT @ around £750 but it does make for a significantly more compact (and modular) setup than an LT. Still easily thrown into the front pocket of a decent gig bag. Personally, I’d go for it!

But only 6 blocks!!!!!!!!! 

I regularly use more than that on my hxfx

• Like 1

Just now, GisserD said:

But only 6 blocks!!!!!!!!! 

I regularly use more than that on my hxfx

I know, I know, and I do agree with you. Still, if Line 6 allow basic utility functions like FX loop routing to not take up blocks then the limit won’t be so crippling.

1 minute ago, Jack said:

That's the annoyig thing. I can do without the IO, the switches and the controls, but I'm used to the superlative amount of stuff I can have within a preset. My basic rock preset is 12 blocks. :(

Hah! Fortunately I'm a simpleton and if it produces better more authentic sounds than my B3N, I'll be content :)

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hah! Fortunately I'm a simpleton and if it produces better more authentic sounds than my B3N, I'll be content :)

Yeah that's how it starts. I just wanted a GK amp and a overdrive pedal and so I ended up with this:

Screenshot from 2018-11-18 14-09-19.png

Thats the problem I had - if it was £700 and the LT was £750, the LT would be a no brainer, due to the number of blocks.

I haven't used a helix but I used the Helix VST here, and enjoyed playing it for the 15 days free, but every patch that had the wow factor was above 6 blocks, normally 2 chains of something.

I am sure the stomp would be good, but I wouldn't be able to get over I was somehow being cheated,  like when I bought an electron rather than a BBC and eventually had to take it back :D