Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

More seriously - congrats Patrick.

Interesting that the HX Effects seems to be making a bit of a come back - several BC'ers seem to have gone for this option recently either substituting other HX pedals or going for this one as their first HX multi.

I blame Dave (always easiest IMO) for starting this trend. So you can sue him. Did I just start this post with 'more seriously'? 

Ha ha.

I was seriously looking at the Stomp but was thinking the 3 foot switches would just about do it as long as I had the EQ and Compressor in a block outside the foot switches, but really I would prefer 6 to replace my current board like for like.  Then I wasnt sure how often I would use the amp/cab sims (though the SVT ones sounded good).   The HX Effects just seemed to make more sense for my needs, and was down to £350 in the PMT Black Friday sale.  They also have a 14 days return policy too so if I don't like it it goes back.  Going to pick it up this morning, expect to see me on the other thread tonight :).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Ha ha.

I was seriously looking at the Stomp but was thinking the 3 foot switches would just about do it as long as I had the EQ and Compressor in a block outside the foot switches, but really I would prefer 6 to replace my current board like for like.  Then I wasnt sure how often I would use the amp/cab sims (though the SVT ones sounded good).   The HX Effects just seemed to make more sense for my needs, and was down to £350 in the PMT Black Friday sale.  They also have a 14 days return policy too so if I don't like it it goes back.  Going to pick it up this morning, expect to see me on the other thread tonight :).

I blame  @41Hz for getting me interested in the FX. Glad I found out about this though. Having owned (and still do) a few Zoom boxes i find them a bit too cramped to use on stage, and not ever intuitive to program. Even the Stomp was getting a bit complicated (and my needs are very basic). For me a multi effects is something that does it all, i don’t want any other boxes on the floor.  It's a great box to use at home, but for live use the FX is the way to go.

Good luck with it, might be worth posting in the main thread if you need help etc. 

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I blame  @41Hz for getting me interested in the FX. Glad I found out about this though. Having owned (and still do) a few Zoom boxes i find them a bit too cramped to use on stage, and not ever intuitive to program. Even the Stomp was getting a bit complicated (and my needs are very basic). For me a multi effects is something that does it all, i don’t want any other boxes on the floor.  It's a great box to use at home, but for live use the FX is the way to go.

Good luck with it, might be worth posting in the main thread if you need help etc. 

Sorry!

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nothing to apologise for, it was a good call 🙂

+1 ^^

Getting the HX (in my case in place of my Stomp) has transformed my enthusiasm for getting stuck in with Helix. I appreciate it's probably just me, but it feels like a much more user friendly interface probably mainly driven by having sight and access to a bank of 4 patches in one go, which just makes life soooo much easier.

Obviously doesn't have the amp and cab sims of the Stomp (I guess no biggie if you're happy with your amp and cab) but 3 extra blocks may well come in handy.

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^

Getting the HX (in my case in place of my Stomp) has transformed my enthusiasm for getting stuck in with Helix. I appreciate it's probably just me, but it feels like a much more user friendly interface and having sight and access to a bank of 4 patches in one go is soooo much easier.

I know what you mean. Not so cramped and everything seems just a bit more acceptable. My only 'niggle' is having to touch a knob (lol) to see what its set to. Id like to see the numbers all the time. Also id prefer to see all the parameters as a default setting, rather than having to touch the foot switch first. Minor issues though.

Wonder what FW 2.90 will have in store for us, other than the DG fix.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to not be in the market for new pedals but I'm thinking if I sold my tuner, compressor, Freeze, Chorus,  preamp/DI then I can minimise my setup and raise enough ££ for an HX Effects or the Stomp (which at only £30 more with amp and cab sims seems better in theory, but I think I'd prefer the interface of the HX so I can't decide between the two).

Do they sound as good as those individual pedals though? I know it does lots of additional things too so that's a bonus, but they're the main things I'd want it for. e.g. Does it's Chorus work as well as a dedicated CEB-3 with the low-filter? Is the compressor as good as decent compressor pedals adjusting attack/release/ratio?

Edited by SumOne

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

I'm trying to not be in the market for new pedals but I'm thinking if I sold my tuner, compressor, Freeze, Chorus,  preamp/DI then I can minimise my setup and raise enough ££ for an HX Effects or the Stomp (which at only £30 more with amp and cab sims seems better in theory, but I think I'd prefer the interface of the HX so I can't decide between the two).

Do they sound as good as those individual pedals though? I know it does lots of additional things too so that's a bonus, but they're the main things I'd want it for. e.g. Does it's Chorus work as well as a dedicated CEB-3 with the low-filter? Is the compressor as good as decent compressor pedals adjusting attack/release/ratio?

Probably worth spending the weekend reading this thread. lots of chat about the merits of a Helix vs individual pedals. What sounds good to one person might not to another. Some sound close enough, some dont etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Probably worth spending the weekend reading this thread. lots of chat about the merits of a Helix vs individual pedals. What sounds good to one person might not to another. Some sound close enough, some dont etc.

Nice one, yeah since posting that I read backwards and have seen the same sort of things asked. 

It looks like the Stomp can mostly do what my Preamp/DI , Freeze, Tuner, Chorus, and Compressor do, and selling them would fund it (I wouldn't be selling overdrive, fuzz, envelope filter, octaver as it doesn't seem to do them so well). I reckon I'll go for it.

2 minutes ago, Stofferson said:

@SumOne I sold my separates end of last year to fund a stomp.

It's worked out great for me, I kept my preamp and fuzz to put in the loop to free up blocks for more utilities like EQ, signal splitting and compression. 

It makes for an awesome interface too.

Nice one. I'm gonna go for it. Just got to decide between the HX Stomp vs HX Effects. 

@SumOne

If it's helps I picked up the effects last month, I prefer that for live pedal board use as I don't use irs etc. More blocks but more fiddly to edit on the fly. The L/R FX loop has separate ins and out unlike the stomp which has trs stereo send and it's didn't like a fuzz in there (ground hum) plus more footswitches for assignment without spending more on external stuff.

But I couldn't get rid of the stomp because of what it can do as an interface, soo easy to tweak on the unit too, so that lives next to the computer now.

• Like 1

If you want to check out what the effects are like, you can always get a free trial of helix native from the line 6 website. Won't give you much insight into which hardware version to get, but should at least give you a bit of a headstart as to what it can do before committing to an order...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

Nice one, yeah since posting that I read backwards and have seen the same sort of things asked. 

It looks like the Stomp can mostly do what my Preamp/DI , Freeze, Tuner, Chorus, and Compressor do, and selling them would fund it (I wouldn't be selling overdrive, fuzz, envelope filter, octaver as it doesn't seem to do them so well). I reckon I'll go for it.

I found the BDDI sim to be good enough that i didnt worry about not using my ‘real’ BDDI, although its only based on the V1. When i went from last using a BDDI on, to using a Helix, i never missed not having the real thing. You might find nothing is as good as what you are used to at the start, but a bit of work can get you most of the way with most of the effect. Its not the best at everything, but it can pass itself off as a full pedal board with a bit of thinking and work IME. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I found the BDDI sim to be good enough that i didnt worry about not using my ‘real’ BDDI, although its only based on the V1. When i went from last using a BDDI on, to using a Helix, i never missed not having the real thing. You might find nothing is as good as what you are used to at the start, but a bit of work can get you most of the way with most of the effect. Its not the best at everything, but it can pass itself off as a full pedal board with a bit of thinking and work IME. 

This. Also, with a few of the newer pedals that have been added in recent firmware updates, you may not even miss the lack of true amp/cab sims. I suspect you’ll enjoy your purchase @SumOne

Just remember to update it once you get it  and read the instructions before you do!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

This. Also, with a few of the newer pedals that have been added in recent firmware updates, you may not even miss the lack of true amp/cab sims. I suspect you’ll enjoy your purchase @SumOne

Just remember to update it once you get it  and read the instructions before you do!

I was split between not wanting amp/cab sims for band stuff, so used a HFX, but needing them for home headphone practice. Having the BDDI and DK preamps worked for headphone practice with my HFX perfectly, and in fact I tended to use the BDDI more than the amp/cab sims in my Stomp as well. 

42 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

When building patches, my signal always seems to sound like there is some chorus or reverb on it. I think it's possibly coming from the compressor block. Has anyone else had this issue? If so how did you overcome it? 

does it do that with a blank patch? turn things off one by one to see if you can work out what it could be

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

does it do that with a blank patch? turn things off one by one to see if you can work out what it could be

I have put headphones on and with logic it's not doing that, it must be a routing issues between my interface and logic. 

Thanks for your help folks. 

I'll soon find out (HX Effects arrives Monday), but I assume amp and cab sims in the Stomp are basically things that can be done (in theory) with the HX Effects via eq, comp, distortion and fx, or by importing an IR with them set? 

I have a Bass Simplifier (preamp/cab sim/DI) and moving the mic is pretty much a sweepable tone knob, and 'resonance' seems to be a bass boost + slight reverb, a 1x15 cab is basically eq'd for more bass and less highs etc. Perhaps there's more to it though. 

Edited by SumOne