Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

35 minutes ago, Rik (ESA) said:

Ah fantastic, and does that seem to work well enough, ie no grounding issues etc? Absolute money saver if so, just the power to sort for the rest... 

Thanks everyone! 

The outputs on the Stomp are balanced, which means that they're noiseless. Compared to a standard instrument lead a balanced cable has an extra core that cancels out noise. Or something like that anyway, no doubt someone will be along shortly to explain that in a more detailed (and accurate) way! But it's the same arrangement as you'd get with a dedicated DI box or on the back of your amp, it's just that the Stomp has two 1/4 inch sockets instead of the more usual 3 pin XLR socket. But connector differences aside it's exactly the same thing. You can also adjust the output level to instrument or line if you go into the global settings menu should you need to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

I had my FI in a loop once, but soon realised that I put it always at the start of a chain, so removed it and use midi cc to turn it on and off. Saving a loop in the process.

You’re right!. I’d kind of got bogged down into thinking everything would need to be in the loop of the Stomp. Good thinking Batman!

I think I posted a while ago that I was finding the length of the PSU lead a bit short. I prefer to have all the power behind me, either on the wall or at the side of my rig.

Anyway, I got this today and it works perfectly (so far).  I might tape up the join and maybe strengthen the ends, but it’s going to make life a bit easier as I won’t have to run a mains extension lead just for the Stomp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A9500XC/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Dedicated DIs have a ground lift button though to help with noise in certain situations. I've no idea if you might one day find yourself needing such a button if you just go the cable adapter route though!

On one of my regular gigs I've needed to use the ground lift on my Radial JDI when using my stomp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think I posted a while ago that I was finding the length of the PSU lead a bit short. I prefer to have all the power behind me, either on the wall or at the side of my rig.

Anyway, I got this today and it works perfectly (so far).  I might tape up the join and maybe strengthen the ends, but it’s going to make life a bit easier as I won’t have to run a mains extension lead just for the Stomp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A9500XC/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Just ordered one, thanks for this!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Just ordered one, thanks for this!

Glad it helped. I felt the stock cable is stupidly short, even at home I find I have it quite taut, just going from under bed where the plug is to on top of the bed. 

So, IR’s. Ive just got my head around what they are, and how to use them. Any recommendations as to what to get? Ive got a few free ones, mostly based on Ampeg cabs, but I’m wondering if I should just get IR’s based on speakers. 
Actually I probably still don’t really have a clue about these, other than know where to put them and what they are supposed to be. 
Ive been looking at these ones, which seem to have a good rep

https://www.ownhammer.com/tutorials/general/

Edited by dave_bass5

11 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

So, IR’s. Ive just got my head around what they are, and how to use them. Any recommendations as to what to get? Ive got a few free ones, mostly based on Ampeg cabs, but I’m wondering if I should just get IR’s based on speakers. 
Actually I probably still don’t really have a clue about these, other than know where to put them and what they are supposed to be. 

I have yet to get my head around them. I’m sure I saw a post the other day linking to IRs to download from Line6 but I can’t find it now, perhaps I dreamt it?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I have yet to get my head around them. I’m sure I saw a post the other day linking to IRs to download from Line6 but I can’t find it now, perhaps I dreamt it?

Yeah, there are loads around, but I’m wondering if the more costly ones, like the Own Hammer IR’s, are worth it over the cheap, or free ones. 

34 minutes ago, nash said:

Awesome. Where’s good to get these?

well if you saw my post a couple of days ago, i was asking the same thing 😉

Saying that, i guess Google will bring up some suggestions (i genuinely dont have any links)

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, DanEly said:

Has anyone actually found any of the bass cabs useful? I've found most of them put a blanket over my tone...? Does using your own IR's improve this?

I guess it's how you use them.

If you record with an ir cab, it sounds great.

However if you use an ir cab then go through your cab, I agree it sounds muffled.

What I do now is split the signal, so the ir cab goes to pa and no it cab goes to my cab.

Helps clean things up.

Just now, la bam said:

However if you use an ir cab then go through your cab, I agree it sounds muffled.

What I do now is split the signal, so the ir cab goes to pa and no it cab goes to my cab.

Helps clean things up.

I'm not using it through a stack. Just through studio speakers and headphones at the moment. Has anyone else struggled with this?

I did have the intention of knocking out my cab using this but I'm feeling a bit unsure...

8 hours ago, DanEly said:

Has anyone actually found any of the bass cabs useful? I've found most of them put a blanket over my tone...? Does using your own IR's improve this?

What sort of sound are you trying to achieve? I use the stock cabinet models all the time and don't have any issue with them dulling the tone, I go straight into the PA without any backline with a parallel signal going to my in ear monitors. There's plenty of top end present.

8 hours ago, DanEly said:

I'm not using it through a stack. Just through studio speakers and headphones at the moment. Has anyone else struggled with this?

I did have the intention of knocking out my cab using this but I'm feeling a bit unsure...

I get what you are saying. Ive found some of the cabs to be too much when using headphones. The free  IR’s I’ve used are even more so unless tamed.

For home use, learning songs etc with headphones on I now use the BDDI sim with a Fender bassman IR. seems to get the right balance of tone, punch and clarity. 

8 hours ago, la bam said:

Helps clean things up.

I use them to send to the PA and go on the basis that the cab sound will fit in the mix better than a clean sound. 

Having said that the cab collection built in does seem a wee bit like the bass cabs some guitar players would guess bass players want!