Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

46 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Well if you want to swap it your stomp for my B3n I figure that will be bombproof ... and I’ll even buy you another one just to make sure!

That's really very kind Luke. If only I didn't already have a B1X-4 (which has the same chip and effects patches as the B3n) I would be finding your offer almost irresistible.

Right best head off and go fiddle about on my Stomp...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, walshy said:

I’m using a CS6 and the doubler for the Stomp, and the reverse polarity patch too. Wasn’t going to double up the G75, reckon I should or just the one 9v supply should suffice 

I have the HXS running from the 2x 500mA and the G70 from 2x 200mA both worked fine using single but found the CS6 ran cooler when both were doubled

• Like 1

I had the Stomp running for three hours yesterday while I faffed about with my presets and had a good long run down the rabbit hole that is trying to get a proper Wolstenhome-Hysteria/JJB-Anything tone*

No issues, tho the box was warm.

* You know how it goes: it's like trying aftershaves - after the 15th try, you kinda lose focus...

HX Stomp (and Floor) patches for download

Recently spotted this link on the TB forum:

This chap, Jon Willis, created a website for all of his presets which he has made publicly available for free download: http://drtonelab.com/

I'm particularly interested in what he has managed to do on synth - 4 patches uploaded. He apparently has a good fBook page too.

[NB I've not checked for viruses etc on his website so any downloads are at your own risk, but someone in the bass community would hopefully have spotted if there were any!]

Edited by Al Krow

Jon Willis is doing great work. I’ve downloaded all his patches and I have to say he really knows what he’s doing. The website is a very new thing (I think it’s only been online for a week or so) but his Facebook group is where it’s at.

Jon himself often posts videos demoing new sounds which he’s either releasing or still tweaking to get just right. If you comment in the group saying something like “Trying to get the bass sound that ‘X’ had on ‘Y’ album. Any suggestions?” Jon is likely to reply either suggesting adjustments to an existing patch of his, or he’ll cook something up from scratch that fits the bill.

Bearing in mind he’s doing all this for free as a community resource, I can only applaud him!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The presets on the stomp are set up to use different methods of hook up such as direct to desk -DIR, 4 cable method 4CM etc get the manual online and have a read. While the stomp is pretty easy to figure out with trial and error (IMO) the manual is really well written and worth the time in conjunction with tweaking. Read and tweak!

3 minutes ago, krispn said:

The presets on the stomp are set up to use different methods of hook up such as direct to desk -DIR, 4 cable method 4CM etc get the manual online and have a read. While the stomp is pretty easy to figure out with trial and error (IMO) the manual is really well written and worth the time in conjunction with tweaking. Read and tweak!

Yes, I am a manual reader but still cannot find the screen that appears on the videos with presets with prefixes.

55 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Stomp newbie here, ahem. I’m noticing on all the ‘how to’ videos that the screen is often displaying already named presets that have a prefix like ‘FX’ or ‘DIR’, I have presets on my Stomp but they are unnamed and without a prefix, am I looking in the wrong place?

Did you buy the Stomp new? If you bought used, I think there was an issue with the recent firmware updates where, if they weren't done exactly to the letter, there were issues. If I remember correctly one of these issues was that the pre-set names didn't appear - either correctly or at all. Maybe the previous owner made a mess of the firmware upgrade, perhaps?   

If you did buy it new, then I have no idea. Maybe try the view button (the one with a house icon on it) as @krispn suggested. 

Failing that, see if there's a way to reset the unit to its original factory settings. You may then need to reinstall the more recent firmware updates, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

26 minutes ago, krispn said:

Try the view button to change the screen display and then scroll with the page button if I recall correctly.

Thanks @krispn. The view button does toggle between play and edit screens but on the play screen it simply says '01A New Preset' and as I scroll through, 01B New Preset, 01C New Preset and so on, in the Edit screen there are diagrams showing the blocks but nothing that has a prefix. The videos look like this...

Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 10.14.46.png

Mine like this...

IMG_2647.jpg

Edited by Frank Blank

8 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Did you buy the Stomp new? If you bought used, I think there was an issue with the recent firmware updates where, if they weren't done exactly to the letter, there were issues. If I remember correctly one of these issues was that the pre-set names didn't appear - either correctly or at all. Maybe the previous owner made a mess of the firmware upgrade, perhaps?   

If you did buy it new, then I have no idea. Maybe try the view button (the one with a house icon on it) as @krispn suggested. 

Failing that, see if there's a way to reset the unit to its original factory settings. You may then need to reinstall the more recent firmware updates, but it shouldn't take more than a few minutes. 

Aha. Yes, it was from new, I'll give the factory reset a go but the first thing I did on opening the box was install the latest firmware, I'll try it and report back...

1 minute ago, krispn said:

Huzzah!

👍 now I can continue manual reading without constantly flipping through because I was sure I'd missed a step. Now the presets are named there are three with an ACO prefix (which I'm assuming is acoustic) and I can use these as a starting point to configure my own settings for my acoustic basses.

Just now, Frank Blank said:

👍 now I can continue manual reading without constantly flipping through because I was sure I'd missed a step. Now the presets are named there are three with an ACO prefix (which I'm assuming is acoustic) and I can use these as a starting point to configure my own settings for my acoustic basses.

Yes, I think that the ACO patches are acoustic ones. Whether any are actually configured for acoustic basses is another matter! 

1 minute ago, Osiris said:

Yes, I think that the ACO patches are acoustic ones. Whether any are actually configured for acoustic basses is another matter! 

Well I'm going on the assumption that they are configured for acoustic guitars rather than basses but they are set up in a way that I was going to approach configuring from scratch, so Vol, Pre and EQ blocks at the start, they sound pretty good already but I'm on phones at the mo, now I have these as a starting point I'll take it through the QSC and tweak them for each bass and the QSC and see how it goes.

Definitely set your patches up through whatever you're going to be gigging with, I made that mistake, I originally set them up at home through headphones and on the first gig with the Stomp they sounded utterly 💩, way too dark. It took more than a quick EQ change to rectify the sounds I wanted when I borrowed one of our PA cabs to set the sounds up again, but I got there in the end. Save yourself the time and effort and go straight to the QSC :)

41 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Definitely set your patches up through whatever you're going to be gigging with, I made that mistake, I originally set them up at home through headphones and on the first gig with the Stomp they sounded utterly 💩, way too dark. It took more than a quick EQ change to rectify the sounds I wanted when I borrowed one of our PA cabs to set the sounds up again, but I got there in the end. Save yourself the time and effort and go straight to the QSC :)

Absolutely. I’m kind of experimenting and larking about on the phones but when setting up patches for live I’ll do the lot through the QSC.