Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

54 minutes ago, DBerriff said:

Thank you for the interesting reading. That is another dent in my savings! Stomp ordered and I hoping I can ditch the backline and use a PA speaker dedicated to the rhythm section.

Good work!

Get everybody on IEMs next!

Not so easy with a Big Band but I have a pair of Fender in-ears so, one step at a time. I am waiting for the toys professional sound solution to arrive - hopefully tomorrow. I am just a keen amateur these days and it is great to learn from you guys.

Probably been asked a couple of times before but I’m looking to power the HX and G70 wireless off one power supply, anyone successfully using a Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS6 ?

I did see ‘talk’ of powering the Stomp off just one 500mAh output on the CS6 anyone tried it ?

While I wait for the delivery I have been reflecting on the implications that this little box has for bass rigs. I should add that I have not managed to read all 38 pages of this thread so forgive me if I am repeating anything.

The cost of the Stomp is covered because it will stop me spending money on pedals I eventually sell on.

So we turn to the rig. My Genzler 350 combo & extension is brilliant, but consider the cost. Bass Direct is listing the combo at £959. The extension cab at £535. It is a brilliant little rig but... For less than the cost of the extension cab I can buy a decent RCF powered 12" PA speaker with cover and speaker stand (and have bought - it should be good for upright bass). For less than the cost of the combo I could get an RCF Evox J8 (what I would like to try eventually) and have a sub and array like the Genzler, but in a better form factor (array is on a pole for even better dispersion) and with more power should a band need it. I could also put our keys through a PA speaker. The only downside is the weight. The Genzler gear is super light, the PA options 10 to 20lbs heavier. It is not unmanageable, but it matters at my age. But this does not take anything away from the Stomp because with the right setup you don't need a rig at all. I am not at that point yet.  

The term "game changer" is overused, but in this case appears entirely justified. This assumes that the Stomp sounds as good as you are telling me, but I trust y'all!

• Like 1

P.S. I do realise this is far from the first modelling "box". It does seem to be the first to achieve the right balance of performance, features and cost to win over increasing numbers of bass players, and its arrival coincides with the development of attractive FRFR options.

Edited by DBerriff
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DBerriff said:

P.S. I do realise this is far from the first modelling "box". It does seem to be the first to achieve the right balance of performance, features and cost to win over increasing numbers of bass players, and its arrival coincides with the development of attractive FRFR options.

and it's diddy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adee said:

I did see ‘talk’ of powering the Stomp off just one 500mAh output on the CS6 anyone tried it ?

I've just upgraded to a CS6. I also bought a T-Rex current doubler, which is installed and working just fine. I have seen it mentioned on a couple of FB groups that people have run a Stomp on a single 500mA CS6 output. I tried it and it seems to work ok, but I'll stick with my current doubler so there's no chance of any power issues mid gig.

• Like 2

It is complicated but I am getting there. The desktop editor helps. It seems to be that if you want to do something (sensible!) then you can. Things like change the input impedance - with 1 MOhm available it should work with an upright piezo pickup. Or change the Volume control to set headphones but leave main outs full on. I had not expected it to be quite so configurable.

So far, everything is beyond my expectations - and they were pretty high. 

On 21/06/2019 at 17:49, ratman said:

I've just upgraded to a CS6. I also bought a T-Rex current doubler, which is installed and working just fine. I have seen it mentioned on a couple of FB groups that people have run a Stomp on a single 500mA CS6 output. I tried it and it seems to work ok, but I'll stick with my current doubler so there's no chance of any power issues mid gig.

Yeah over just done the same after seeing your post mate. Hopefully all will be well as I’ve two Festivals this weekend 🤞

• Like 1

I’ve just installed a CS6 under my Pedaltrain Nano+ fits perfectly powering HXS and G70 Wireless using current doublers for both, it runs cooler and hopefully less chance of any issues, very tidy! Andertons currently have them at a good price

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Adee said:

I’ve just installed a CS6 under my Pedaltrain Nano+ fits perfectly powering HXS and G70 Wireless using current doublers for both, it runs cooler and hopefully less chance of any issues, very tidy! Andertons currently have them at a good price

That's cool. I'm using a G75 next to the Stomp and wondered about this. 

• Like 1

Great bass focused Stomp video here, showing the immediacy and ease of use with the editor (I’m looking at you @Al Krow!)

Obviously this guy is going for a more metal-centric sound but the basic operating principles apply regardless of what kind of tone you’re aiming for.

• Like 4

30% off software now on the line 6 store. 

if your a stomp/HX FX owner, you can now get native for £69!

edit:

but it was only £79 before i hear you say?

yes it was, but whoever posted that forgot to include US taxes :(

Edited by GisserD

I've seen these hit as low as £389 now...so the prices are settling nicely. 

I play way more guitar recently but the fact the Stomp is so good for bass and guitar means this is gonna be a no brainer, when I get round to using it!

I'll be ordering asap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GisserD said:

but it was only £79 before i hear you say?

yes it was, but whoever posted that forgot to include US taxes :(

UK taxes - it was VAT. Unusual that, I guess the send it out of the EU or something.

Anyway, thanks for the notification, I now own helix native, hope I don't get so used to it I have to buy a helix!

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

I've seen these hit as low as £389 now...so the prices are settling nicely. 

I play way more guitar recently but the fact the Stomp is so good for bass and guitar means this is gonna be a no brainer, when I get round to using it!

I'll be ordering asap.

Well given that you started this thread, you're obviously obliged to get one! 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Well given that you started this thread, you're obviously obliged to get one! 😂

Very true! Life took a strange turn near Xmas (moved job/house/split from my ex of ten years!) and I'm currently in my new job waiting for my house to be built! All my gear is in storage...but I still want one of these.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I started the zoom thread and I haven't got one of those yet either!

Haha - don't worry - you're on my radar too, Woody 😂

I started a Yammy BB thread back in 2017. Probably the single most expensive thread I've been foolish enough to start...I ended up getting SEVEN Yammy BBs along the way!! (I still have 3 of them). Almost as many as that chap @AndyTravis...zero regrets though - they're wonderful PJ basses and a lot of bass for the money.

And let's face it, you're entirely to blame for my love of Ibby SRs! :) 

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

Very true! Life took a strange turn near Xmas (moved job/house/split from my ex of ten years!) and I'm currently in my new job waiting for my house to be built! All my gear is in storage...but I still want one of these.

Sounds like you've really been 'through the mill' over the past 8 months! 

Only suggestions from me are a bit of creative and GAS therapy: write a song and buy some gear, that you're gonna love having, to play that song with :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like you've really been 'through the mill' over the past 8 months! 

Only suggestions from me are a bit of creative and GAS therapy: write a song and buy some gear, that you're gonna love having, to play that song with :) 

Cheers! Good plan. 

4 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Cheers! Good plan. 

You do realise that this thread you've started is the MOST popular effects BC thread of all time in terms of replies? So you're defo going to need to get one :) 

Second most popular is the Line 6 Helix thread!

Seems to me that Line 6 are doing something very right, although recent stories of a couple of the Helix / Stomp pedals failing mid gig are a bit worrying - the last thing you need when playing live particularly if you are going directly into FRFR. Hopefully this lack of reliability is just isolated and not the start of a trend...

On that, mine failed several times on a warm gig recently - tapping the tuner switch (I have mine set as simple patch up, patch down, tuner) brought it back to life, but it was very disturbing. It seemed to be very hot...