Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

2 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Has anyone used the whammy on this? Is it any good for bass?

The pitch shifting and is one of the most impressive features of the HX Stomp. I’ve just setup a -4 semitones queens of the stone age patch and it tracks as well if not better than my VB-99! I also setup a Unibass style patch with excellent results. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

The pitch shifting and is one of the most impressive features of the HX Stomp. I’ve just setup a -4 semitones queens of the stone age patch and it tracks as well if not better than my VB-99! I also setup a Unibass style patch with excellent results. 

I actually meant whammy like the  Digitech Bass Whammy.

58 minutes ago, NoirBass said:

Wouldn't be for No One Knows, by any chance, would it? That's what ruled out the B3 and the HD500X for me... 😃

Before i get into editting etc, i always update everything software wise.

Does anyone know how to update the software (where to download etc).

Does anyone know where to download the hx edit software?

sods law, ive come out and left my instructions at home.

21 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

I actually meant whammy like the  Digitech Bass Whammy.

Sorry, in waxing lyrical I forgot to directly respond; it’ll work just like a Bass Whammy if you so desire.

19 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Wouldn't be for No One Knows, by any chance, would it? That's what ruled out the B3 and the HD500X for me... 😃

Well done sir, yes exactly that. 👍

19 minutes ago, la bam said:

Before i get into editting etc, i always update everything software wise.

Does anyone know how to update the software (where to download etc).

Does anyone know where to download the hx edit software?

sods law, ive come out and left my instructions at home.

You update via the Line 6 updater software on your PC or Mac.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

im drawing a blank on updating.

ive downloaded the line6 updater, but when i open it it just says "select device to update" but is blank underneath.

do i have to register the stomp first?

You’ll need an account at Line 6, but shouldn’t need to register the Stomp. You’ll need the Stomp plugged into the computer via USB at the same time as running the updater.

Edited by NoirBass

Ive created an account, and use that to open updater, but still nothing on screen. Do you have to do anything on the device itself?

Never, thought id say it, but i wish theyd put proper instruction in!

just had a read around, and theres no drivers for the stomp on my pc, and it cant find them. Does anyone know where they are?

sussed it.

You have to download the drivers as well from the line6 website, as well as the updater.

Edited by la bam

On 09/02/2019 at 09:35, la bam said:

Is there any trick to loading in IR cabs?

I've downloaded and uploaded 3sigma pack, but struggling loading the ir cabs?

Worked OK for me - haven't tried any from 3sigma, but have done some guitar ones from redwire and another couple of randoms I found links to on youtube videos.

Click on impulses above the left column where the preset list normally is.

Click on an empty slot, and then click import at the top.

Browse to the IR file you want and then click open. 

Then go back to your preset, add an IR block. 

The top parameter in the IR block list lets you choose from any of the impulses you have imported.

The only thing I can think of maybe is that you've downloaded a ZIP file with several IRs in.... you'll need to extract that so that HX edit can see the WAV files - it can't import a ZIP directly

• Like 1

First proper run out with the Stomp at a big function gig last night, and it was fantastic: just the best sound I've had going DI/FOH ever. A couple of my more extreme patches (the big ones with distortion) need some of the top end fizz backing off, but that's a result of setting them up via headphones rather than using one of the PA tops, and over-egging the top end. Once I've tweaked them it'll be even better. We've working on a setup now where the BL has his setlist on his iPad, and if he changes a song, it changes his patches (it does this already), but will also change mine, so no more frenzied footwork to find the patch for the song... We can also set it so that when he selects his solo patch, it can select my bigger patch to fill the sound out. Sounded great in the in-ears, too...

We've just got a small 12" RCF sub to go with the two RCF tops, so the load in and out is even lighter than before. It was plenty loud enough for a function room holding 250 people last night.

• Like 5

Cheers. I bought the 3 sigma, but out of all the patches, when I load them in and load the ir cabs (there's about 20) every present from 3sigma chooses the first cab, which I found odd as I assumed each sound would be tailor made for a different cab. Also, all the ir cabs volumes are set at -18db ?

10 hours ago, la bam said:

Cheers. I bought the 3 sigma, but out of all the patches, when I load them in and load the ir cabs (there's about 20) every present from 3sigma chooses the first cab, which I found odd as I assumed each sound would be tailor made for a different cab. Also, all the ir cabs volumes are set at -18db ?

Not sure I get what you mean

Did you buy a 3 sigma preset pack (they're called bass essentials, metal mayhem, vintage bass, bone crushing bass)

https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/helix-bass/

or did you buy a IR on it's own?

https://www.3sigmaaudio.com/items/category/basscabs/

If you bought the preset pack then there is one cab IR included in the pack (but multiple variations of it) . If you bought bass essentials for example the cab IR is called BE810. the preset is designed to use only this IR.  If you want to use a different IR, you need to load that IR in via the HX Edit application and open the preset, select the new IR and then save the preset with the new one. 

And yes, for the 3sigma IRs, they're all set at -18db as default. 

14 minutes ago, la bam said:

Yes, sorry, i bought the bass essentials pack, where every setting reverts to the first version of the cab.

Is the cab meant to be turned back to 0db or left at -18db?

-18 is a good starting point, you can boost or cut them to taste of course, there isn't really a right or wrong but this may help explain why they are -18 as a default.

https://line6.com/support/topic/21473-impulse-response-18db/

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Yes, sorry, i bought the bass essentials pack, where every setting reverts to the first version of the cab.

Is the cab meant to be turned back to 0db or left at -18db?

In the bass essentials pack there is one cab model. I navigate to  Bass Essentials>Cabinet IR>BE810>48 

In this folder there are 20 variations in WAV format of this cab.  Now you have a choice of which one to use.  You can load all 20 in to your IR list in HX Edit if you like then transfer these to your Stomp and audition them from there.  

The Bass Essentials Presets include an IR block. This will always default to using the first sample in your loaded list of IRs, but if you have loaded all 20, then you can select which one you prefer and then save it back to the preset.  The preset will always then use that one instead.  

I'll admit I don't really like those presets though. The ones developed by Jon Wills on the Helix bass users Facebook page are a much better starting point, well for the amp blocks anyway. 

I'd leave the IR level at -18db and adjust in small steps only if you need to .

On 11/02/2019 at 11:03, la bam said:

Cheers, i'll take a look.

If I remember correctly this is mentioned in the FAQ or mini manual that comes with the presets. It mentions that the presets will always default to that IR cab that is in slot1 on your helix. But it has a table in it that shows the IR that is meant to be used with each preset.

Edited by udo

1 hour ago, udo said:

If I remember correctly this is mentioned in the FAQ or mini manual that comes with the presets. It mentions that the presets will always default to that IR cab that is in slot1 on your helix. But it has a table in it that shows the IR that is meant to be used with each preset.

cheers - i hadnt even noticed the manual! i'll give that a try, thanks.

EDIT - just gave it a try - makes a BIG difference! Cheers.

Edited by la bam

After a a month or two of umming and ahing about whether to get the HX Effects or the Stomp and watching countless reviews/tutorials on both I've finally put my order in and, subject to the vaguaries of the delivery service, the Stomp arrives on Monday.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cato said:

After a a month or two of umming and ahing about whether to get the HX Effects or the Stomp and watching countless reviews/tutorials on both I've finally put my order in and, subject to the vaguaries of the delivery service, the Stomp arrives on Monday.

Welcome to the club, sir!

• Thanks 1