Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Stick a 800 Hz Crossover split before the amp to bypass the lows (only mids/highs through the amp/speaker) light compression on the lows, then mix the signals..... SOUNDED. SO. FREAKIN. AMAZING.

I do like the crossover split thing, reason I wanted the HX really. I was playing around with it tonight with a crossover split, where the lows basically bypass everything, the highs go through the 2 part harmony and a bunch of distortions chorus and echos, and was rather impressed with that. 

I do like the ability to bypass the distortion with the bass so it doesn't drop out, makes them all a bit more useable.

Still yet to do the 4cm into the CTM to use 'real' overdrive

32 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Thanks for the info Buddy!

Like others have mentioned it is basically crap!.........I will look for something more workable, I just took a quick look on the Line 6 forum and many members don't rate it, I can control the GAS.......LOL!

So you've spent 5 mins with one of the most versatile pedals currently on the market and you've already decided it's crap? 🤨 (And for the avoidance of doubt I was being tongue in cheek when I was "agreeing" with you!)

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

I do like the crossover split thing, reason I wanted the HX really. I was playing around with it tonight with a crossover split, where the lows basically bypass everything, the highs go through the 2 part harmony and a bunch of distortions chorus and echos, and was rather impressed with that. 

I do like the ability to bypass the distortion with the bass so it doesn't drop out, makes them all a bit more useable.

Still yet to do the 4cm into the CTM to use 'real' overdrive

Can I recommend a crossover at 500Hz, studio compressor for the lows, overdriven peavey 5150 for the highs. Put the whole thing on one footswitch.

Just now, Jack said:

Can I recommend a crossover at 500Hz, studio compressor for the lows, overdriven peavey 5150 for the highs. Put the whole thing on one footswitch.

This is on an HX so no amps. Currently my favourite is the studio compressor on the input - I hadn't thought to put it after the split. It is on several footswitches for levels of overdrive  and to allow the chorus / 2 echo types and an impulse response to calm the thing down when we have to play soft songs. What I gigged with at the weekend.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

Some people get on with things, and some people don't. Hardly worth getting worked up about.

Fair play. 

There's very little in life worth getting really worked up about. And certainly nothing on a bass forum 😂

Edited by Al Krow

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

This is on an HX so no amps. Currently my favourite is the studio compressor on the input - I hadn't thought to put it after the split. It is on several footswitches for levels of overdrive  and to allow the chorus / 2 echo types and an impulse response to calm the thing down when we have to play soft songs. What I gigged with at the weekend.

Ah sorry, with this being the stomp thread I just assumed. The OD pedals are great, I like the klon and the darkglass a lot, but I'm really into using the guitar amps as overdrive pedals atm.

Just now, Jack said:

Ah sorry, with this being the stomp thread I just assumed. The OD pedals are great, I like the klon and the darkglass a lot, but I'm really into using the guitar amps as overdrive pedals atm.

Reasonably assumption as I am in the wrong thread (although technically the thread that made me end up getting the HX). Would be nice to play with the amp models for that but couldn't quite push to the LT. Although now I realise about the 3 and 4 tone generators, it could relieve the reason I need key footpedals, which would give me more space!

2 hours ago, GisserD said:

I was playing with some of the Amp and cab models today through headphones. ALL of the amp/cabs were pretty unusable even after tweaking IMHO. However...

Stick a 800 Hz Crossover split before the amp to bypass the lows (only mids/highs through the amp/speaker) light compression on the lows, then mix the signals..... SOUNDED. SO. FREAKIN. AMAZING.

Ill post the patch on the tips/tricks thread incase anybody's interested

Yes please post the patch 👍🏻 Would love to give that a try. 

On 23/11/2018 at 09:10, Woodinblack said:

I noted that PMT sent a 10% off everything for black friday thing today. As they have the HX stomp for £465 the same as everyone else, presumably that would take it down to less than £420.

Might be worth checking out if anyone is looking. Not much help for me, they have the HX effects for 10% more than andersons, and although they price match I doubt they are going to price match and then take 10% off!

Interestingly enough, now that the 10% has gone, the HX effects has gone down 10% in price.. hmm...!

Strangely enough the Stomp has gone up, but then our currency is plummeting, it might be new stock.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Interestingly enough, now that the 10% has gone, the HX effects has gone down 10% in price.. hmm...!

Strangely enough the Stomp has gone up, but then our currency is plummeting, it might be new stock.

Still pick it up for < £450 here: https://www.guitar.co.uk/line-6-hx-stomp

just seen one for £349 on eBay

(I've just bought a Hx Effects but was still getting eBay alerts)

OK....just noticed it's the Grey seller (if I have the right term - someone referred to the same seller when selling HX Effects preorder) and not someone selling theirs on. I've removed link

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney

@Al Krow

As much fun as it would be to try one out I’m not really using fx in my live band’s just now other than a comp and occasionally some drive. No point in me buying one as it’d just be sitting unused in its box...oh wait 😉but I’ll think more seriously about purchasing one once you give me a comprehensive review based on your own findings and gigging experiences with it ...oh wait😉 I think my money is safe 😀

All joking aside my amp was doing everything I needed it to on last night’s gig (including some blended clean/drive) I don’t have much need for multi fx just now and I have many of those fx available via DAW at home for experimenting when the notion takes me. If I go IEM down the line it might be a useful option.

1 hour ago, Apeneck Sweeney said:

just seen one for £349 on eBay

(I've just bought a Hx Effects but was still getting eBay alerts)

OK....just noticed it's the Grey seller (if I have the right term - someone referred to the same seller when selling HX Effects preorder) and not someone selling theirs on. I've removed link

I personally don't have a problem with "grey sellers" where they are importing all taxes & customs duties paid - just providing a useful service to consumers where producers are looking to charge one lot of consumers more than another in another part of the world, simply because they can!

You're unlikely to benefit from warranty, but you get a fair degree of protection from buying through PayPal.

@krispn @ £349 that's £100+ off list price and you could move it on used with no loss :) 

Mine is going to definitely be unboxed within the next couple of hours ... 3 months. Comprehensive review? Don't hold your breath for that, buddy. You'll go blue 😂

Actually, wait! If you want a sneak preview of what I'm likely to be saying it will be:

"Looks great and is well built. Does a fantastic job at modulation, delay and it's pretty decent as a bitcrusher. It's a perfectly good tuner. The pc editor is awesome. Won't be replacing my synth or filter pedals or my polyphonic octave up (Mosaic) or likely to be used as a gated fuzz (in place of my Mastotron). Need to get my head around how good it is at general dirt/octave down/compression/limiting/ hpf duties. It's a greedy little bugger when it comes to power consumption and has it's own dedicated power unit with my IsoBrick powering the rest of the Board."

There, I don't even need to unbox it now...🤣

Edited by Al Krow

17 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@krispn @ £349 that's £100+ off list price and you could move it on used with no loss :) 

I must admit if I had seen one at £349 I would have been quite tempted to get one before I got the effects, it is a good price.

Although Im happy for the moment, when they make a Helix LT mini I might reconsider!

This is as far as I've got time to take things today...just needs a final wiring up and then they will be good to go. Hopefully will get a bit of time during the coming week to do just that!

Signal chain right to left starting with Thumpinator through to the Stomp then back up to the AS through to Mosaic and out via the sentry duty limiter (Keeley Bassist).

Midi control just for the two Source Audio pedals via the neurohub.

Power: MXR IsoBrick underneath board + separate (own) PSU for the Stomp.

PB - 1812 I .jpg

Edited by Al Krow