Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

9 hours ago, owen said:

I bought a B3n thinking it would have the same sounds. It did not. So that went back. I will buy another. Or maybe something else. You know how it is. 

I bought a B3n thinking it would have different sounds. It did. So it stayed! 😁

7 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I bought a B3n thinking it would have different sounds. It did. So it stayed! 😁

The B3N is in a class above the MS-60B in terms of capability. 

I'm hoping there will be a similar step up in capability between the B3N and the Stomp! 😎 

7 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Have you not got your Stomp yet Bas?

You should know the answer to that from my post five days back :) 

But if you think I've come close to (i) mastering its capailities to say whether it represents a noticeable improvement in quality over a B3N or (ii) set it up on my "new" (actually used but larger) pedal board...or even (iii) un-boxed it yet then you've perhaps not worked out why I'll need to be holding onto mine for longer than Bearfist did his 😂

Edited by Al Krow
no apostrophe in "its" when it's the possessive version

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You should know the answer to that from my post five days back :) 

But if you think I've come close to (i) mastering it's capailities to say whether it represents a noticeable improvement in quality over a B3N or (ii) set it up my "new" (actually used but larger) pedal board...or even (iii) un-boxed it yet then you've perhaps not worked out why I'll need to be holding onto mine for longer than Bearfist did his 😂

Ha! I should really pay more attention, I assumed everyone had theirs by now.  You’re in for a treat. 

Was playing through mine last night for headphone practise duties and it was glorious. Had it connected to my laptop via USB to stream audio and messed about with a couple of patches before settling down and doing some actual playing. Truly a lovely experience. This is the first Multi FX I’ve had any love for at all!

The experience was made even lovelier by the simple addition of a combo guitar/headphone cable I had made up by OBBM of this parish. See thread below - although I specced mine slightly differently it’s effectively the same cable in principle:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, milesBguitar said:

Just out of curiosity can you run a feed from an aux (ipod/cd player) to use as a practice amp into one of the inputs?

Yes indeed. In the global settings you can change the routing of the FX Returns to act as an Aux In for practice. 

Also, if you connect the Stomp to an iPhone, iPad or iPod via an Apple Camera Connection Kit any audio played from the device will automatically be routed as Aux In.

The same behaviour applies when connected to a PC/Mac.

Edited by CameronJ

11 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Yes indeed. In the global settings you can change the routing of the FX Returns to act as an Aux In for practice. 

Also, if you connect the Stomp to an iPhone, iPad or iPod via an Apple Camera Connection Kit any audio played from the device will automatically be routed as Aux In.

Seriously not helping 😂

1 hour ago, RedVee said:

I tried one of these today and was not impressed at all, it reminds me of the old Line 6 Bass Pod XT being very muddy sounding even after tweaking. I am going to look elsewhere for a better sounding unit.

What bass and amp were you playing through?

You can certainly get muddy tones out of it and way to unmuddy tones, depending on what you have selected. Although if all you want is amp modeling into a PC, I can highly recommend Positive Grid Bias Amp2 as a fantastic amp modeller.

Edited by Woodinblack

5 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Through desktop speakers? Headphones? Earbuds?

Sorry Guys I guess I should have given you more info. Basically its Bass>> HX Stomp>>Interface>> PC.I use top quality headphones and did try it through a pair of Rokit 5 studio speakers.I know the stock presets are crap but even after tweaking the tone did improve but it still sounded muddy. I used to own a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live some years ago and had the same muddy sounding problem with that.

3 hours ago, RedVee said:

Sorry Guys I guess I should have given you more info. Basically its Bass>> HX Stomp>>Interface>> PC.I use top quality headphones and did try it through a pair of Rokit 5 studio speakers.I know the stock presets are crap but even after tweaking the tone did improve but it still sounded muddy. I used to own a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live some years ago and had the same muddy sounding problem with that.

It's obviously crap - best sell mine quick. Good job it's still unboxed then.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, krispn said:

Still unboxed!!

I’d try using it first before passing judgement on others. you may find you don’t like it that much either or not have that much use for it😉

I've already done several gigs with a bandmate who was using the full fat Helix and it sounds f'ing awesome, so I already KNOW exactly how good this is going to be / sound. This is simply a cut down version of the same tech.

Music is not utilitarian, so whether or not I have much "use" for it, I will certainly enjoy it whether it be with my bass, 6 string or keys. 

Edited by Al Krow

I was playing with some of the Amp and cab models today through headphones. ALL of the amp/cabs were pretty unusable even after tweaking IMHO. However...

Stick a 800 Hz Crossover split before the amp to bypass the lows (only mids/highs through the amp/speaker) light compression on the lows, then mix the signals..... SOUNDED. SO. FREAKIN. AMAZING.

Ill post the patch on the tips/tricks thread incase anybody's interested

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, krispn said:

Bingo!

I'm sure that's funny (particularly if Cuzzie thinks it is so)...but I have no idea what it means in the random context you're using it in (maybe 'cos I is a southener?) and you've used it several times now, so I thought I'd best ask!

Edited by Al Krow

38 minutes ago, GisserD said:

I was playing with some of the Amp and cab models today through headphones. ALL of the amp/cabs were pretty unusable even after tweaking IMHO. However...

Stick a 800 Hz Crossover split before the amp to bypass the lows (only mids/highs through the amp/speaker) light compression on the lows, then mix the signals..... SOUNDED. SO. FREAKIN. AMAZING.

Ill post the patch on the tips/tricks thread incase anybody's interested

Thanks for the info Buddy!

Like others have mentioned it is basically crap!.........I will look for something more workable, I just took a quick look on the Line 6 forum and many members don't rate it, I can control the GAS.......LOL!

7 minutes ago, RedVee said:

Thanks for the info Buddy!

Like others have mentioned it is basically crap!.........I will look for something more workable, I just took a quick look on the Line 6 forum and many members don't rate it, I can control the GAS.......LOL!

I suspect the issue here is that typically, on any digital multi FX, the presets are never great. And especially with a product like Helix where there is so much tweakability, testing it in a shop is really not the best environment to get the best out of it. It can take a bit of leisurely time to learn the ins and outs of what’s possible within the UI and get creative with routing and tweaking to get something truly stellar (as @GisserD has discovered) but “stellar” is totally within the realms of what Helix is capable of.

Anyway, you’ve obviously already made your mind up on the matter so who am I to try and convince you otherwise :crazy:

• Like 2