Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cam - why do you think we will need all these additional contraptions with the Stomp?

I'd have thought you could just edit the patches as you want them and order them to match your set list order, and just scroll through. 

After all, folk seem to manage perfectly with just ONE foot switch on the Zoom MS-60B. 

I for one couldn't manage with one foot switch. Rather than one patch per song, I typically would have several FX that I would stomp on and off throughout a track. It would be too complicated to remember 'right I want to add a fuzz now so that's 2 patches up, then in a minute I want clean with a phaser which was 3 patches down'.

I have started to mess around with my Stomp - I like it....  perhaps there are some more experienced people than me who could answer a couple of questions:

What is the significance of the order that you put the blocks in ? Should the amp and cab be at the end of the chain ?

Thanks very much !

Same as applies to real world FX chain. Ultimately there are no rules and just use what sounds best, but typically the amp and cab will be last. Although you could put compression or EQ etc afterwards if you wanted, just as an engineer might do to a mic'd cab signal in the studio.

8 minutes ago, milford59 said:

What is the significance of the order that you put the blocks in ? Should the amp and cab be at the end of the chain ?

Because every block is affected by the blocks before it, think about what each block brings to a sound. For instance if you put a compressor before an autowah, it wouldn’t work well, but the other way round is fine etc

• Like 1

@KingPrawn, @CameronJ, @GisserD, @mingsta, @Bearfist, @CalDeep, @milford59

Gents - a number of practical and useful tips and suggestions starting to come out now that our pedals have landed. But I suspect these may get lost / be difficult to find in future if folk have to trawl to page 17+ to get to them?

No desire to create duplication but would it be worth setting up a separate thread "Helix HX Stomp Owners Club - Tips & Ideas" to capture this stuff plus any patches that we're finding work particularly well? 

If you'd prefer to just run with this mega thread, that's fine by me too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, milford59 said:

I think that’s a great idea to have a separate thread - I was going to start it, with my question - but as I am quite new to the forum I didn’t like to do it in case it was bad form..🙂

Well if it would be useful to you (and it will be for me too when I pick mine up from the store) then go for it! 

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

No desire to create duplication but would it be worth setting up a separate thread "Helix HX Stomp Owners Club - Tips & Ideas" to capture this stuff plus any patches that we're finding work particularly well? 

You might find a general helix thread would be an idea seeing as a lot of the signal flow etc is common to a lot of the devices, and you might miss out on somethings that someone has for a full fat helix that also works on the stomp etc.

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

You might find a general helix thread would be an idea seeing as a lot of the signal flow etc is common to a lot of the devices, and you might miss out on somethings that someone has for a full fat helix that also works on the stomp etc.

Oki doki - let's do that. No point in duplication when, as you say, lots in common. I'll get that started for us now then...done!

Edited by Al Krow

Only a 25 minute walk from the office...I suspect that could prove to be fatal in 2020. Basement is full of keyboards and synths.

PMT Shoreditch.jpg

...and I managed to pick up the last piece of bass gear I will ever need (well until the next "game changer" thing comes along! 😂)

Helix HX Stomp.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/11/2018 at 12:46, tonyclaret said:

I'll be intrigued to hear the thoughts of those who have migrated from HX FX to the Stomp

Hi.

In no particular order....(brain dump)

• Sounds are obviously identical.
  • Addition of headphone output and master volume is Awesome!
  • loving the colour screen, all the info in one place! and color represents block type so its easier to see at a glance what the blocks are doing. on the HXFX there's a lot of info, but its all spread around, and in B+W.
  • moving blocks around the chain is harder, and unnecessarily so as there's plenty of knobs. You have to use Cut/paste
  • the knobs seem to respond better.
  • i love that it shows the midi PC on the preset selection screen. this makes it so easy if your using a midi controller.
  • love the form factor Its TINY!!!!
  • i wish they had put the screen on the RHS as i tend to play notes with my right hand and change parameters with the left. doing this mostly covers the screen with my hand. still, better than the HXFX
  • i will miss ability to turn off more than 3 pedals on the HXFX
  • addition of HPF and LPF in the global is awesome!!! HXFX doesn't have this
  • copying blocks to another patch is easier on the stomp

ill come and edit this post if i think of any more differences

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Yo! 

So apparently all online orders on HX stomps from PMT are out of stock and won't arrive with PMT til 9th December, so wont get mine til probably 12th earliest, even though I ordered it Friday morning. Offered to pick it up too as I live 4 miles from the Warehouse, and people are walking into the stores and picking them up today, grrrr PMT....  

Really wanted it in time for some fly dates in December too! Maybe Im just a bit too excited :)

21 minutes ago, CalDeep said:

Yo! 

So apparently all online orders on HX stomps from PMT are out of stock and won't arrive with PMT til 9th December, so wont get mine til probably 12th earliest, even though I ordered it Friday morning. Offered to pick it up too as I live 4 miles from the Warehouse, and people are walking into the stores and picking them up today, grrrr PMT....  

Really wanted it in time for some fly dates in December too! Maybe Im just a bit too excited :)

Blame it on Woody's tip off about the 10% discount. PMT had two delivered to the store on Friday morning and they had both been sold within an hour of the store receiving; I paid my deposit and they kept behind the counter for me to collect today.

Look on the bright side, at least you got a £46.50 discount...not to be sniffed at! And in my case it was third order lucky so I'm not feeling too guilty at having finally got mine :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Blame it on Woody's tip off about the 10% discount. PMT had two delivered to the store on Friday morning and they had both been sold within an hour of the store receiving; I paid my deposit and they kept behind the counter for me to collect today.

Look on the bright side, at least you got a £46.50 discount...not to be sniffed at! And in my case it was third order lucky so I'm not feeling too guilty at having finally got mine :)

Oh dude, no beef meant :) Im chomping at the bit now, made up I got the discount just a bit gutted 

Unfortunately on Friday I was both still waiting to hear if I've been accepted for a 2 year interest free credit card, and also unsure if I was going to be paid cancellation fee for the umpteenth gig this year that's gone down in flames. The good news is I got the cancellation today though it is too late for the 10% discount. It may be just as well as I'd still like to see the HX effects and Stomp next to each other in the flesh. I tried an LT at PMT and was very impressed with it.

I have a Zoom B3n and find the 3 switches limiting but the Stomp's ability to assign what you want on each switch and not be stuck with the order they are in the chain would probably make a lot of difference. Also my eyes are getting old (along with the rest of me) and I need to be able to stand up and still see it clearly. It's a shame the HX doesn't have colour screens too. 

Maybe I'll get one of these 🤔 https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/household-aids/reading-writing/magnifiers-lighting/folding-a4-magnifier-stand?fee=19&fep=2032&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8_PfBRC3ARIsAOzJ2upABnM8UdQJyH8WjRy4j-YB8ndHfM2CftzT8pPJo3NI22T4NdVfHMEaAjdHEALw_wcB

2 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

I managed to get the last one that PMT Cardiff had on Saturday morning, with the 10% discount.  I don't know how many they'd had in but they said they'd been flying out of the door.

I'd be happy except for the fact that it's my wife's Christmas present to me, so I won't see it again for a month!

Try the old just need to check it under warranty purposes? OK technically PMT are providing a three year warranty 😄 

1 hour ago, Apeneck Sweeney said:

I have a Zoom B3n and find the 3 switches limiting but the Stomp's ability to assign what you want on each switch and not be stuck with the order they are in the chain would probably make a lot of difference. 

You can alter the order of the patches on the B3n if you want to