Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

Oh I am sure it will be a great fun thing. Those effects I was saying about - I have no use for them for the current music I am playing, and to be honest, after playing with the VST for a while, I switched to guitar, where obviously there is a lot more scope for entertainment. 

Having said all that, looking on ebay the Helix FXs are going for not much, and seeing as I am still going to have to go through an amp (not got the space / don't want to take on getting a new PA with bass bins), it is starting to look quite tempting

Anybody else considerd the hxfx and a stomp. That would be one versatile setup! As the fx has all the controll capablity, and the stomp has amps. Effects can be shared between the 2 units. 

Might be just a brain fart, but seems to make sense to me... 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GisserD said:

Anybody else considerd the hxfx and a stomp.

That really would be bigger and more expensive than a LT, or even a SH Helix full, so no, that wouldn't make sense to me!

The only advantage I could see in that is you would get the scribble strips, but my eyesight isn't something that would give much of an advantage to!

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

Anybody else considerd the hxfx and a stomp. That would be one versatile setup! As the fx has all the controll capablity, and the stomp has amps. Effects can be shared between the 2 units. 

Might be just a brain fart, but seems to make sense to me... 

It's TOTALLY RIDICULOUS that Line6 are not making amp and cab sims available for the HX  (ffs they're available on Zoom multi fxs costing a fraction of the price) and that you should even have to think about a STOMP to complement your HX. 

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Now I have been looking more at the HX effects and what with my B3 being a bit poorly, it is starting to get a bit tempting.

Damn you basschat with your constant GAS!

Well it sounds from your previous comment, the HX could be the "value" option now. What have you seen them go for on eBay? 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Well it sounds from your previous comment, the HX could be the "value" option now. What have you seen them go for on eBay? 

Seems the prices are roughly:

Helix: £800

Helix Lt: £550-600

Helix HX: £300

So some below those occasionally. The Helix Lt at < 600 also seems tempting!

Edited by Woodinblack

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for sharing that. Well the used HX prices are definitely not collapsing. If they are going for 75% of new prices for a 1 year old pedal, that's pretty much "standard". 

The guy who is selling most of them on ebay seems to be selling them new boxed, but with a long wait, so I am guessing he is grey importing them from somewhere.

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup @Woodinblack and @Jack, this box of tricks is definitely not for you and you should both steer very well clear. In the meantime, me and @KingPrawn can quietly get on with having some fun with it in our own simple ways 😉

I give it a week.

1zsdsm.jpg

Being serious for a second, I stand by the fact that if I didn't have a helix and I was buying one, it'd be the Stomp. I'm sure you'll love it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

Being serious for a second, I stand by the fact that if I didn't have a helix and I was buying one, it'd be the Stomp. I'm sure you'll love it.

As a full fat helix owner I'm in two minds on this one. I'm seriously considering a Stomp (Mrs B has her eyes on it as xmas pressie for me) but I doubt I'd pick it exclusively over the full fat.

I use my helix at home, for recording, mic input, multiple outs, and all sorts of other stuff. It's on the floor under my desk and gets used every day. A Stomp wouldn't cut it. That said, I'd use it live all the time....

• Like 1

I've just spent the morning getting to know my shiny new stomp. I have never used any Helix prior to today and am really happy with it. the ease of use is brilliant! After 20mins I was editing and creating new blocks. Really happy with the responsiveness of the editing dynamics. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

As a full fat helix owner I'm in two minds on this one. I'm seriously considering a Stomp (Mrs B has her eyes on it as xmas pressie for me) but I doubt I'd pick it exclusively over the full fat.

I use my helix at home, for recording, mic input, multiple outs, and all sorts of other stuff. It's on the floor under my desk and gets used every day. A Stomp wouldn't cut it. That said, I'd use it live all the time....

Live is why I fancy the Stomp too. I love that everything that I need fits in a 15kg rack, I'm so spoiled compared to the 45kg combo I started off gigging with and that should be enough for me.

But 15kg is still heavy and the idea of a <1kg pedal is so tempting. But then it'd have to go on a board with a wireless and whilst that would certainly be lighter than the rack it probably wont be any smaller and so the merry go round continues!

2 minutes ago, Jack said:

Live is why I fancy the Stomp too. I love that everything that I need fits in a 15kg rack, I'm so spoiled compared to the 45kg combo I started off gigging with and that should be enough for me.

But 15kg is still heavy and the idea of a <1kg pedal is so tempting. But then it'd have to go on a board with a wireless and whilst that would certainly be lighter than the rack it probably wont be any smaller and so the merry go round continues!

You'd be surprised.. I have my Preamp/DI on a Pedaltrain nano - with a Korg tuner and a wireless receiver. It's all powered by a Cioks DC5. (I know that won't work for Stomp, but their new one will..) 

All up, it fits in a Mono Tic, so I can attach it to my Mono bag for a single carry in.

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe I will change my mind eventually, but if I give it 3 months, @Al Krow will be selling his and moving onto the next thing and I can grab that :)

I bought my Zoom B3n 18 months ago, when they first came out (a bit like this Stomp thing - "you know I love you") and my first Zoom MS-60B in 2013. I've still got one of each. Me and multifx go back a while. This is no mere compressor pedal that no one can hear what difference it's making...😄 

I'm really looking forward to reading people's thoughts on this once people start gigging it. 

I was using my hxfx for my main gig (straight to desk/pa set up) but have ended up back with the B3 as I only use two sounds for that band anyway, and I found just using an amp sim on the zoom a lot easier to set up, compared the the eq / drive block + cab IR set up on the hx. And the lack of master volume!

Edited by MarshallBTB

I may or may not have bought the last Stomp that Gear 4 Music had in stock today 😬 currently on its way from their German warehouse! There were 5 in stock when I first checked this morning - I went in the shower and by the time I’d come out there was only 1 left so I snapped it up. Should hopefully arrive before the end of the week. 

I also just bought an Apple Camera Connection Kit (a glorified lightning to USB adaptor) so I can use Stomp as an interface direct into my iPad/iPhone. Fun times ahead!

Congrats on the purchase Cam. Mine is showing on the Gear4Music website as being due for delivery tomorrow   Spoke too soon, just got a delivery date change email from Gear4Music to 21 December. At least I'll be in then :) 

@Woodinblack so you've coyly avoided fessing up to the number of your basses in the confessional thread...

....although you did in passing mention you had TEN guitars that you never play!!! Sounds to me like someone who will get a Stomp if he really wants one and certainly won't need to wait for mine to be coming up second hand :) 

Edited by Al Krow