Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

I'm seriously considering this as an 'alternative' to my Helix Floor. I currently run XLR out from Helix to Desk and 1/4" out from Helix to FRFR for monitoring. With the flexibility in the Helix Floor I can adjust my monitoring sound and volume independently from the FOH. 

The Stomp appeals as I can replicate my amp/cab/effects setup in it but I'm not sure I'll still have the routing flexibility without additional hardware.

The Stomp has the same snapshot functions as the Floor which reduced the reliance on just the three buttons.

I'd say the only reason to choose a Stomp if you already have a Helix floor is one of size/weight - both for portability and for taking up room on stage. If your current setup is easy enough to move about and you don't find the helix floor on stage to be too big/take up too much room then I don't think there's any real reason to get a Stomp

15 hours ago, tonyclaret said:

So are the bass pre-amps worth having on this? Is there a list of available amp sims?

The beauty of the Helix is that you don't need anything bass specific. I have a 'distortion pedal' in one of my presets that's actually a Peavey 5150 preamp and I have plenty of presets that don't have anything bass-specific in them at all. Hell, one of mine is simply a compressor and a generic studio channel strip.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You seen Cuzzie's posts above? He's spotted the obvious solution that means not having an xlr on the pedal itself should become a complete non point, given that it is providing a balanced line out. It's pretty much taken away my last excuse for not getting one (other than I'm not sure I really need it anymore given my existing pedals - lol!) :) 

Yeah I saw it and am aware of what the outputs do, that doesn't sort anything for me really as we have a ton of different XLR cables for varying sizes of stage, unless I got a short special cable and extended it with standard XLRs. Might as well just use a dongle adapter in that case which is the least inelegant solution, still a bit of a hack though especially if you need to use the effects send to output to your amp/monitor.

It's not something I need either but the thing that interests me is the ability to model different preamps from across the entire equipment spectrum. Like there's probably some amazing models of mic preamps from high end desks that would sound better (to me anyway) than any bass specific preamp pedal you could pay £200+ for, I don't really need any of the bells and whistles or effects tbh although I can see how they come in handy.

Have done plenty of reading and soul searching since the stomp was announced, and mostly thinking "should I sell my HXFX for the stomp?".
I think at present the best option is to pray for some cash to materialise from somewhere, and buy one to work WITH the HXFX. 

Regarding power discussion, its basically going to be the same as the HXFX to power(despite the label on the back of the unit) as long as you can feed it 1/1.1amps it should be fine.
My HXFX works perfectly off a Truetone CS6, and I imagine the Stomp would be the same.

Now, in the hypothetical situation where I have the money for a stomp, how do I power both under a pedaltrain metro24?
Well, our Danish friend Poul Cioks is about to drop the answer very soon (more money required 😩😞

preview.jpg

20 minutes ago, tandark said:

Have done plenty of reading and soul searching since the stomp was announced, and mostly thinking "should I sell my HXFX for the stomp?".
I think at present the best option is to pray for some cash to materialise from somewhere, and buy one to work WITH the HXFX. 

Regarding power discussion, its basically going to be the same as the HXFX to power(despite the label on the back of the unit) as long as you can feed it 1/1.1amps it should be fine.
My HXFX works perfectly off a Truetone CS6, and I imagine the Stomp would be the same.

Now, in the hypothetical situation where I have the money for a stomp, how do I power both under a pedaltrain metro24?
Well, our Danish friend Poul Cioks is about to drop the answer very soon (more money required 😩😞

preview.jpg

Had to check that out.... 

• 7 isolated DC-outlets, 6W each (660mA at 9V DC each).

That's alot of amperage!!!! 

I can't remember, it is a copy of a general one that I got off ebay. Will look it up tonight. Yes, they are isolated. I needed more power for the B3 and the VoiceLive, but also needed to isolate the B3 from everything and the smoothhound, if we are not going to take a trip to digital noise town.

The only downside, and the reason i am thinking of changing it is that to get the power for the voicelive and to keep the smoothhound and B3 away from each other, I need to run the voicelive from 9v, and it is a 12v unit. So it is right on the edge of what it takes. I have had a couple of times where I couldn't change patch (although none where it had failed, and you can always bypass).

The other downside is that it is fed from a 12v power plug, with a short lead, and I would prefer it to be connected with an ordinary mains socket - must put that in at some point.

On 22/10/2018 at 11:33, Jack said:

The beauty of the Helix is that you don't need anything bass specific. I have a 'distortion pedal' in one of my presets that's actually a Peavey 5150 preamp and I have plenty of presets that don't have anything bass-specific in them at all. Hell, one of mine is simply a compressor and a generic studio channel strip.

Very much this. 

The only bass-specific amp I have in any of my patches is there because I like the drive sound on it, so it's there as a glorified distortion pedal.

For my Bass VI patches I'm using the Roland Jazz Chorus Combo model.

4 hours ago, tandark said:

preview.jpg

Yup you could go for that which does looks good.

In my case I'm going to be using my MXR IsoBrick which has 10 isolated outuputs and puts out 2.7Amps to power the rest of my board, and simply make use of the Helix Stomp's own PSU to power it.

Job done with no additional PSU cost.

I've seen a few demos of this now and they seem to have rushed the demo stage....a lot of the demos seem to be clean guitar amp/Klon overdrive/tubescreamer (non bass) and sound a bit lifeless and boring. 

Thing is, once you choose an amp, then maybe you want a different cab, light drive, heavy drive, that is 4 blocks gone already.....

I'm not convinced by the screen yet - I need to see one in person. It looks fiddly and annoying.  At first I thought this was a bargain, but then it is massively stripped down and has half the horsepower. A good way for Line 6 / Yamaha to pick up sales at the smaller/cheaper end of the market with the same models and effects.

I really do want something like this, but the G3 and B3 cost me just over £100 each and are still decent units. £460 is a decent amount....I think at £380 this thing would seem like a good deal. 

Edited by Musicman20

I've just watched a chap demo this vs the HX effects. I didn't watch the HX effects section, I just remained pretty disappointed that he set up a very simple gain pedal, amp, one cab, EQ and noisegate, and he's almost out of space for anything else.

The other disappointment was that the stock amp setups were atrocious on this demo. I swear the Boss Katana sounded better off the bat for £250 for the whole amp.

As much as this unit is a good move, I am still not sure if I really want to get into modelling again....

4 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

As much as this unit is a good move, I am still not sure if I really want to get into modelling again....

Just so that you all know, I am showing quite remarkable restraint in not making a comment here. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Has anyone got their hands on one of these yet or are they all still on back order. I'm intrigued to see how easy it is to use in a live situation. The helix hx is great for quick navigation but I'm lusting for some amp sims now. The helix floor is way too big. If they come up with a sansamp module for the hx as rumoured I might just survive 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...G4M apparently don't take your cash until they've sent your order out and if I order now, it might just arrive in time for that annual ritual of celebrating being on the third (time lucky) planet whilst it completes one more circumference of it's local life giving star...

...well I ain't getting any younger: done :) 

Edited by Al Krow