Why become a member? ×

Mini Helix - HX Stomp...

Musicman20

I've been teaching for most of the evening and I am just catching up on this thread. Watching the Andertons video right now and I'm really impressed. 

Edited by Dood

Cannot wait to get home and watch the videos posted here. Looks like Line 6 may have once again nailed it. Only downside is that by the looks of things there isn’t an isolated power supply in the land with enough juice to drive the thing on a single output 😩 but I’m sure I’ll be able to conjure up a workaround for that somehow...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So I was actually researching that very subject (of midi controllers) yesterday and ended up putting in an order for the One Control Gecko Mk III which I think is actually as good / if not better than (and also a little cheaper than) the Tech 21 midi mouse.

http://www.one-control.com/gecko-mkiii-midi-switcher.html

£106 from DV247

Be very interested to get your thoughts and see if you agree?

I was thinking more buttons to access presets quickly:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimongoose.html

43 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Only downside is that by the looks of things there isn’t an isolated power supply in the land with enough juice to drive the thing on a single output 😩 but I’m sure I’ll be able to conjure up a workaround for that somehow...

Good point about the current draw, which I hadn't spotted being an issue until you mentioned it. I've not found anything that sets out what it's min current draw is yet, but if it needs > 1 amp then I suspect I'll just be using it's own PSU for the L6H-Stomp and my MXR IsoBrick for everything else; it'll just mean that I'll be able to the provide most of the rest of my pedals with an individual isolated supply without needing to daisy chain; and I'm sure I can live with two power leads coming off my pedal board rather than one.

Edited by Al Krow

9 minutes ago, Dood said:

I was thinking more buttons to access presets quickly:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimongoose.html

Ok I'd assumed you'd meant the midi mouse version from your comment:

4 hours ago, Dood said:

I think I'll use the surplus on a really small MIDI controller (like the tech 21) for fast access to different patches.

You and I clearly have VERY different ideas on what is "really small "

That's probably 'cos you're from the land of giants where I've always felt like a Hobbit whenever I've been to a pub 😂

Edited by Al Krow

Yeh, I saw it stated 3A on the power input. But what it's actual current draw is will be helpful to know. Hopefully there'll be some indication with the manual supplied with the pedal. 

I guess too early days for the online manual to he available. 

Edited by Al Krow

6 minutes ago, MarshallBTB said:

Damn. My hx effects will be getting replaced with this... Been going back to the Zoom B3 for simplicity / easy amp Sims, USB interface...then this comes along. 

Know what you mean. I've got a feeling that my two much loved Zoom pedals, B3n and MS-60B (which IMO continue to be the best value multi fx out there) are not long away from being shown the exit. 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeh, I saw it stated 3A in on the power input. But what it's actual current draw is will be helpful to know. Hopefully there'll be some indication with the manual supplied with the pedal. 

I guess too early days for the online manual to he available. 

You should know on Monday when it arrives mate, unless you’ve ordered on a Saturday delivery 😂👍🏻

Edited by bassfan

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

As an aside to whether Al is going to be buying the Helix (which he obviously is), I don't recall ever seeing anyone playing that type of music (ie, non acoustic fingerpicking) with a thumb pick before like that.

Seems to work well for him!

Now who is the "him" you're referring to? It's certainly not me. 

Oh and there is no "whether" I'm going to be buying, bassfan called that particular purchase to within a couple of mins an hour or so ago! He's about to be lined up by Newsnight as an election pundit...😄 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok I'd assumed you'd meant the midi mouse version from your comment:

You and I clearly have VERY different ideas on what is "really small "

That's probably 'cos you're from the land of giants where I've always felt like a Hobbit whenever I've been to a pub 😂

😂😂😂😂

It has been a very long working week. I’ve been doing 7 days a week pretty much all the way through the summer and I am sure my sanity has left with my concentration. It’s entirely possible that I will forget what I am typing when I’m only halfway 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Know what you mean. I've got a feeling that my two much loved Zoom pedals, B3n and MS-60B (which IMO continue to be the best value multi fx out there) are not long away from being shown the exit. 

They certainly are. I still love the b3, replaced mine as I finally killed my first one, then started gigging it instead of my hx effects. 

I think I'll wait for the price to drop for this though... Made that mistake with the hx too. 

Edited by MarshallBTB

16 minutes ago, MarshallBTB said:

They certainly are. I still love the b3, replaced mine as I finally killed my first one, then started gigging it instead on my hx effects. 

I think I'll wait for the price to drop for this though... Made that mistake with the hx too. 

9/10 times on most bass gear I'd be with you on waiting for prices to come down and / or preferring to buy used. But it's kinda weird that when the "right" (for me) multi-fx comes along I just want to jump in and get to grips with it!

Other folk will do that with e.g. DG pedals but for me it seems to be multis: I did the same thing last year when the Zoom B3N first came out, and I found myself pre-ordering. New prices are down 25% now, so I will take quite a hit when I move mine ON, and actually I did the same with a MS-60B back in Jan 2013. Probably stems from a fascination with Swiss army knives as a kid 😂

But I've just got a really good feeling about this new L6 Helix pedal! It has all the processing power and quality of the full fat version, L6 have included ALL the bits I was really annoyed in the HX that they left out (cab sims, aux in and headphone out) and it's going to free up space on my pedal board. 

So apart from it's somewhat painful launch price (which for sure will come down over the next 12 months), seriously, what's not to like? :)

Edited by Al Krow

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Now who is the "him" you're referring to? It's certainly not me. 

the guy in the video - Glen Delaune

Oh and there is no "whether" I'm going to be buying, bassfan called that particular purchase to within a couple of mins an hour or so ago! He's about to be lined up by Newsnight as an election pundit...😄 

I don't think its that much of a risky prediction!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

It really wasn’t. 😂 looking forward to a detailed review by Tuesday evening Al 👍🏻

Haha. Band rehearsal Monday night. I'll probably have only just figured how to switch it on by Tuesday evening 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On a more serious note, I'm kinda thinking I might just hold on to my MS-60B and B3n for a few months, rather than move them on straight away (not least in that I've already suffered the value drop with them!).

I've always been kinda interested in whether spending a whole bunch of extra cash on gear actually buys us much in terms of a better sound? Here it's whether extra processing power in the Helix is actually going to be the significant step up in capability and sound and live usability as compared to the B3n, given that the Helix Stomp is literally > 3.5 x more expensive (!) and look to  A/B various patches starting with the easy stuff that multis do well e.g. modulation effects (tremolo, delay, chorus, flange and phase) and then move onto to the more challenging stuff for multi's such as bit-crush, dirt, envelope filter and perhaps the most challenging of the lot: synth. 

I suspect that my view that the MS-60B and the B3N are two of the best value multis available for us bassists today ain't gonna change.