Why become a member? ×

The Musical Box

Norris

Just back from seeing The Musical Box at the De Montfort Hall in Leicester. If you're into early Genesis these are the finest tribute out there, so try to catch them on their tour. A whole raft of rare and vintage instruments, including an ultra-rare left-handed Rickenbacker bass/12-string twin neck. Absolutely cracking night! Moog Taurus heaven!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I saw them last night at Southend. I'm a big fan and have seen them many times, but I think last night was a bit on the loose side. There were quite a few moments where I could see parts of songs falling apart, but they managed to get them back on track.

I think this show in general is attempting to do too much in terms of replicating live performances from different era's. The Black Show was faultless and even The Lamb ran smoothly when I saw it. Ironic really as it rarely did for Genesis themselves.

Not knocking them as what they are trying to achieve is immensely complex, I just think they're making it a little too difficult for themselves in certain areas with this one.

One thing does remain perfect throughout and that's Denis's voice. You can shut your eyes and believe it's the 70's Gabriel singing for you.

Certainly the people I went with were in consensus that the opening act "The Wind's Tail" was the weakest part if the performance. It consisted of several instrumental tracks from Trick of the Tail and Winds & Wuthering thrown togetherin a series of medlies, some of which worked better than others. Los Endos was probably the highlight of that "act". Certainly one of my mates said he'd rather they had just played "normal" songs and I have to agree.

However the rest of the performance was in a different league. Cinema Show and The Musical Box were particular highlights. There was a fair chunk of material from Lamb Lies Down, where I would have preferred more material from Nusery Cryme and Foxtrot - it's not my favourite album. Having said that, Carpet Creepers has been this morning's ear worm

Still, they are a very fine tribute and the closest thing you'll get to turning the clock back to the early 70's - which is a little too early for me to have experienced first hand. Some fine musicianship on display, very technical playing and a fantastic array of authentic vintage instruments involved. Maybe they were just "on it" a little more last night. I did buy a t-shirt :)

Seen them a few times - first was in 1997! also notably with Steve Hackett helping out in the encores at the Royal Albert Hall. I always found it odd that they would only play "the album version" (to infinitesimal degrees of accuracy mind you) - is still the case?

I'm much aggrieved that i can't make the Manchester date next week.  I've seen them a few times and they never disappoint.

I did catch Steve Hackett last night with the orchestra and band.  Excellent show.

2 hours ago, pst62 said:

If you haven't already, you chaps should check out these lads from Argentina. Steve Hackett has been known to perform with them.

That was superb.

Big Gen fan me, and fair play to those guys from Argentina.  I thought that vox guy  sang like an Englishman.  Quality band

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, toneknob said:

Seen them a few times - first was in 1997! also notably with Steve Hackett helping out in the encores at the Royal Albert Hall. I always found it odd that they would only play "the album version" (to infinitesimal degrees of accuracy mind you) - is still the case?

They did play a live version of something - I can't remember which song, but it's one from Genesis Live that was recorded in the very same room (De Mont Leicester) in 1973. Well at least that's what he told us. I've not dug out the vinyl to check how authentic it was :) It wasn't far off the album version anyway

One thing I might mention: probably because of the age of the target audience, it was very refreshing to see a gig without being dazzled by a sea of mobile phones glowing. There were very few people recording the performance. Most of the audience were there to experience it in real 3D vision! :D

Seen them 4 times, every time they've been great, although the last gig at the Apollo was spoilt by an absolute bunch of drunken middle-aged pillocks who talked at great volume all the way through the show, in spite of numerous requests from audience members to please be quiet. Eventually one of them was ejected, but they carried on regardless. A lady who then stood up and gave an impassioned but very polite request to please stop spoiling it for everyone was physically threatened at the end of the show and had to call security. Unbelievable. Probably the worst concert experience I've had in nearly 40 years of gigs. Why do you pay £35 a ticket to simply spoil the show for everyone else?

The Black Show at the Lowry was the best I've seen them, they were superb.