Why become a member? ×

Another Swift Lite Bass

Andyjr1515

Hi

I'm pleased that I've pretty much finished my dreadnought acoustic because the next two to three months are going to be busy!

I limit myself to one full build and one major mod at any one time.  That way, the timescales that I can estimate are unlikely to be exceeded and I generally don't put someone's neck on someone else's body!

@eude 's VI is the major mod I've just started (ditto the build thread) and running alongside that is a full build I had just started when @eude contacted me with the thumbs up.  This full build is a second Swift Lite bass, similar to @Len_derby 's one finished a couple of months ago.  Indeed - the request came about from the 'Bass of the Week' win of @Len_derby's bass featured in the "No Treble" e-zine.

The added challenge of this one is that it is to be shipped to Hawaii!

Although @Len_derby 's bass contained no CITES Appendix timbers, there seems to be confusion in some US and UK customs operations (and some associated scare stories) to make me believe that I need to be particularly careful that this does NOT contain any such woods and that I can prove that in a way that would satisfy a well-meaning but ill-informed customs official who might think, "Bass Guitar - impound" or even worse - and just my paranoia because I'm sure this would never happen - one who might think, "Hmmm - bass guitar, impound ...and keep"  

Anyway, generally a repeat of @Len_derby 's lightweight bass:

ORIFU6il.jpg

...but PJ configuration and a slightly different front end. 

This is going to be the revised shape:

FE5CcYGl.jpg

It's just the front horns that are different and, of course, the P pickup at the neck.

I'll keep you posted!

Andy

• Like 7

Yay - glad you could fill in while Christine is gallivanting around the EU... ;)

Srsly though - I love your build threads. So this was cunning marketing then - an enquiry straight from: 'Having read your No Treble piece with interest, can I have?'

• Haha 2

QUOTE:  Although @Len_derby 's bass contained no CITES Appendix timbers, there seems to be confusion in some US and UK customs operations (and some associated scare stories) to make me believe that I need to be particularly careful that this does NOT contain any such woods and that I can prove that in a way that would satisfy a well-meaning but ill-informed customs official who might think, "Bass Guitar - impound" or even worse - and just my paranoia because I'm sure this would never happen - one who might think, "Hmmm - bass guitar, impound ...and keep"

Andy, I know from my Gillett experiences what a minefield this CITES business is.  Doing the necessary paperwork for Japan recently was a nightmare and I was having sleepless nights until the importer confirmed the consignment had successfully cleared through customs.  So, here's an interesting development I was going to PM you about but thought I'd add to this topic instead as it may be of general Basschat interest.  A Swiss guy visited our stand at Olympia to tell us about a system he's developing that would enable us to build ID data in to our instruments.  The data lives on a transducer that's embedded during construction and can then be scanned with a smart-phone.  His idea was that this could confirm serial number, model name, give detailed info on construction materials and would also be helpful in case of theft.  He didn't know about CITES and when I explained to him the potential for adding traceability info he got really excited.  We're excited too as this would be a great 'fit' with our Contour range.  We're expecting a trial system some time soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

A Swiss guy visited our stand at Olympia to tell us about a system he's developing that would enable us to build ID data in to our instruments.  The data lives on a transducer that's embedded during construction and can then be scanned with a smart-phone.  His idea was that this could confirm serial number, model name, give detailed info on construction materials and would also be helpful in case of theft.  He didn't know about CITES and when I explained to him the potential for adding traceability info he got really excited.  We're excited too as this would be a great 'fit' with our Contour range.  We're expecting a trial system some time soon. 

That's such a simple idea and yet it stands to reason.  We already chip our pets and livestock.

In fits and starts, I've been continuing progress on this.

Quick catchup.

I did the blocks in a similar fashion to @Len_derby 's:

First, used my cobbled up radius jig - 

_MG_6431.thumb.JPG.dac36e8250e9cb8e993a62fa8abb7929.JPG

Then slotted -

_MG_6434.thumb.JPG.5b03e4ac8b0c431e7452f2c1bd2a1003.JPG

Then stuck the fretboard blank onto the G&W template - 

_MG_6452.thumb.JPG.aa97bcdaee865905884feacc7373c26c.JPG

Then found the little pin table I built for @Len_derby 's build to fit on my press drill and fitted with a 1.5mm router bit -

_MG_6453.thumb.JPG.58375c5e11afe10012b86466e230ffd4.JPG

With care - that gave me the chambers - 

_MG_6457.thumb.JPG.60428f6ef66ccef550a0fc1a43c1d659.JPG

Then cut some non-cites ebony blocks to fit  -

_MG_6615.thumb.JPG.79b6d7a9ce39eba02c41be92f06b45b1.JPG

While all this was going on, the maple/walnut/maple neck blank was being glued together, more of which soon - 

_MG_6578.thumb.JPG.d400c05649f6afe61db7ec3362fa995b.JPG

• Like 2

Having got the fretboard basically done, that meant I could work out the neck angle - a touch over 1 degree.

I squared up and ensured that the through neck blank was completely straight and level.  Then, having rough cut the body slot in the neck blank on the bandsaw, I popped it onto my routing jig and packed up the back end of the neck blank to get the correct angle:

_MG_6624.thumb.JPG.d9e628d84e154409bc3eb623119533f4.JPG

This then gave me the slot that the back wings will sit flush with and the top will sit in:

_MG_6629.thumb.JPG.171b1d428748e9ad23cb77b6d31cfe2d.JPG

Having got that sorted, I now knew exactly where the back wings were going to sit and could trace round, slightly oversize, the top and cut out the shapes on my bandsaw:

_MG_6631.thumb.JPG.45c727a104e694143439a96931fb8b79.JPG

So, when they are ready to be glued, they will sit flush with the slot in the neck blank:

_MG_6634.thumb.JPG.39df5282d26e1933a08c40b5883a8bd2.JPG

And, although it is AGES off being finished, at least it's starting to look a little bit like a bass! :)

_MG_6632.thumb.JPG.ee9853e5cf989a114795375da81d02f4.JPG

• Like 6

The useful thing about doing this in parallel with @eude 's project is that, with setting up the equipment being a decent amount of the time involved, I can make progress on both at the same time.  So as I was squaring up @eude 's neck blank and cutting the truss rod slot and the side profile, I did the same for this one.

Here's the neck blank, almost ready for the rear ash wings to be glued on:

Vo6VXUsl.jpg

...and it's definitely starting to look like a bass now :)

RK3Vnail.jpg

• Like 5

I will be using a dark, thin veneer as the demarcation line for all of the major components.  Even with this, I need to be careful that the woods I use are not on any endangered lists that US Customs might get sniffy about.  So the veneer I am using might look a bit fancy for something that will never be seen, but it's walnut - not on any lists!

Here it is next to the first strip - that will separate the wings and the neck - being glued to the neck blank:

5elXDV8l.jpg

Pity the only bit of this below that will be seen is an edge-on 0.6mm strip... 9_9

IiQ8e46l.jpg

And with both sides veneered, the first wing is now being glued:

1SXq4kBl.jpg

You can see in that shot just how much wood will be removed when I carve the concave scoop down to the neck's surface...

• Like 2

And now both back wings are glued to the through-neck and are level with it so that the whole surface now incorporates the neck angle:

17YJVOzl.jpg

Once all of the chambering and control cable routes have been sorted, the top will then glue onto the flat surface, and flush with the top of the neck:

eBWrYBFl.jpg%20

In between the two is another layer of 0.6mm veneer:

ynFdwwBl.jpg

So why bother bookmatching the veneer when no one will ever see it?

Well, gosh - a chap's got to keep up certain standards, don't you know!    :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

I rout the weight relief chambers once I've carved out the back and know how deep I can go.  It would be embarrassing to rout through into fresh air!

Starting with the lower wing, I started with a No 5 Stanley plane:

xHb6Lyql.jpg

Then started the curve with my Veritas pull-shave

JsHoYRyl.jpg

Then put my newly acquired Ibex thumb plane into action.  They are diddy and quite expensive, but they are brilliant!

EfWJblUl.jpg

That's got the bulk out.

m0zwuoWl.jpg

Tomorrow, I will deepen the curve, then start on the upper wing.  Finally, I will smooth it all off with a swan-neck cabinet scraper

• Like 6

As with @eude 's project, family commitments will halt progress on this for a few days but did get to finish off the rear carve.  This is how it's looking:

pt0vjAAl.jpg

oh3HB9sl.jpg

The top will be curved broadly parallel to this shape.  I'll leave the neck until later because that will change from concave to convex as it approaches the heel.

I'm hoping that my 'S' grain for the two wings and differing grain patterns works once the contrasting control chamber cover is there.  It's something you can't do on the neck because you can get differential movement of the wood but, structurally, the wings will be fine.  We'll see if I'm right or not about the visuals once the whole thing is finished :lol:

• Like 7

Before the top can be put on, the weight relief and control chambers and also the cable run slots have to be carved.

I have a bit of tidying up to do and also the cable run slots but the bulk is done using forstner bits to hog out and then a bearing guided router to deepen the chambers:

ltnAJnM.jpg

The chamber gets progressively deeper the closer it is to the edge - always having to remember that the back has that significant carve! 

Before closing up with gluing the top, the cable runs will be cut, a bit of chambering of the top and the main chamber here will be dark veneer lined to make it look deeper than it actually is when viewed through the 'f' hole. 

• Like 1

Getting quite close to being able to close the top on this.  

I've cut the cable routes to the control chamber and lined the main void with veneer:

rMKEfYKl.jpg

The reason for the latter is that the chamber is actually quite shallow, because the back is so heavily carved, and the dark veneer gives the illusion of a much more substantial void through the 'f'hole :

EXMXz2Zl.jpg

• Like 3