Why become a member? ×

Another Swift Lite Bass

Andyjr1515

1 hour ago, honza992 said:

As far as the warping question goes, I'm not sure about the Hawaiian climate, but I've definitely had wood control covers warp simply from applying finish. 

Yep, same here. Even had them warp when I've been laminating thin pieces with a veneer. Trial and error I've found!! I think black plastic can look good but needs to be good quality plastic if that doesn't sound strange...

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

OK - the experiment worked.

Basically, I took two more slices off the offcut, cut away the tight grained bit and then book-matched.  There was less than 1/2mm excess to fit the shape of the cover onto!

But this looks more like it's meant to be there:

OVw0ctnl.jpg

Again, even when adding finishing just one side, no warping at all - but Hawaii is a long way if there are problems the other end so I will be adding a backing plate with grain at 90 degrees to eliminate the possibility of there being an issue.

So final set-up and tweaking ongoing before it gets shipped :)

Andy

• Like 4

Here's the quick soundclip of the blend set at Bridge / Mid / Neck recorded on a hand-held Zoom and played through a Yamaha Stagepas PA. Tone on max treble; PA EQ neutral  

Ignore the noisy fan on the PA and some domestic noises off!

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Not at all worried about standard plastic covers, to be honest, @honza992.  BUT I have a bookmatched ash cover gluing at this very moment, such is the crazed world of Andyjr1515 guitar and bass building!  :lol:

Did anyone ever tell you what a mighty fine bass that one of your looks.... 

😀😂 Ha ha, wow you really don't hand around!  Good job. 

• Haha 1

And fingers crossed time.

All packed in high-density foam in a sturdy flightcase surrounded by expanded polystyrene in a sturdy box; 'No CITES timbers' declaration signed with original invoices for wood species attached; delivered in person to the main regional courier depot.

With US Customs officials having not been paid for 30+ days due to Trump's considerate management of his country, what could possibly go wrong....  ;)

• Like 4

OK - so far so good.

It flew to Philadelphia; then flew to Louisville in Kentucky to get checked out by US Customs; and they've released it as OK to be forwarded to James in Hawaii!!!!  :party:

It only stayed in the customs warehouse for 12 hours - which, considering the poor devils in US Customs haven't been paid for now well over a month now due to the big-heartedness of Mr Trump  - ain't bad!

James should get it by the end of Friday their time

Only finger biting bit left is...is he going to like it...;)

• Like 4

Just now, sblueplanet said:

How long before this one appears on the No Treble website? 😉

The new owner said much the same thing xD. He thought I should submit it - but I think it's too much like @Len_derby 's and I think the No Treble Bass of the Week is all about different designs.

Besides, they must be getting a bit fed up of me swamping their email inboxes with 'Please, please, please, please, please...' mails from me 9_9

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Besides, they must be getting a bit fed up of me swamping their email inboxes with 'Please, please, please, please, please...' mails from me 9_9

Just because you aren't promoting this latest build doesn't mean you should stop asking for freebies.

• Haha 1