Why become a member? ×

NAD Bugera Veyron BV1001M

Chienmortbb

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

From what I've heard even the tube version is extremely clean sounding, just a little warmer. I think these amps are designed that way. Probably not the right choice for someone looking for built in "dirt". 

I don't mind that clean sound, your word warmer is the key here. Thats why I think the tube version must be amazing. Because the M has just about everything else 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I'm betting the tube version is a killer. Ran my MOSFET through a barefaced 110 and an ampeg 410 at rehearsal and it sounded awesome. Huge bottom sharp and crisp tops good selection of mid-range options to suit the room. Only criticism I could find is it's a little bit clean for my tastes. Which is why I suspect the tube preamp might make all the difference.

Or alternatively a decent mild dirt pedal? E.g. TC Mojomojo at the budget end (which I guess would fit very nicely with the value for money theme that the Bugera is bringing to the party), but seems to be liked by many and doesn't lose low end, or something like the Grizzly Bear if you're after a broader tonal sweep and something a little more sophisticated (but new, the Grizzly costs as much as the amp! )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Or alternatively a decent mild dirt pedal? E.g. TC Mojomojo at the budget end (which I guess would fit very nicely with the value for money theme that the Bugera is bringing to the party), but seems to be liked by many and doesn't lose low end, or something like the Grizzly Bear if you're after a broader tonal sweep and something a little more sophisticated (but new, the Grizzly costs as much as the amp! )

I have pedal options to warm the sound should I decide to. Overdriving the input isn't particularly pleasant (as one might imagine). I bought this as a back up to my Orange Terror but I suspect they'll rotate depending on who I'm playing for,

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats. It does look good! 

Thanks. It sounds great too. I've just given it a blast on the Wharfdale cabs I bought and it sounds amazing. It's an absolute tone monster, the range of different sounds you can get is superb, and loud enough to take the walls down.  I'm very happy with it. It's ridiculous how good it is for the price. Even at double the cost it would be a steal. 

Oh and it looks even better all lit up. 😀

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

Yip,at the moment,this is the route I will be going down.As mentioned I have a Fender Rumble. I play in 2 bands,Classic Punk covers band and Classic Rock covers. 2 or 3 gigs per month on average,some large gigs,using house bass rig,small /medium venues,using my own gear. So buying the Veyron and the Warefdale speakers lets me try out the seperates,maybe change the amp later or pick up some other speakers.But not putting out a lot of cash. 

• Like 1

I've given the Veyron a good going over today. It took a bit of messing to find the sound I wanted, to be fair most of that was down to trying to tame the bass boost circuit on my Jag. But oh my God it sounds absolutely amazing! For the first time probably ever I'm 100 percent happy with the sound I'm getting, and I finally get the P bass thing. Switching between the P's and J on the Jag they both sound totally different and both superb without having to touch the amp again. 

I've had the same issues that were mentioned earlier in the thread with the input / preamp clipping light coming on, but it's only intermittent when I dig in and I can't hear any distortion or anything untoward. Even with the the gain all the way off the light still flashes. I can solve the problem by engaging the -15 decibel button, but it sounds much better without it so I'm tempted to just leave it. Is anyone else running with the clip light occasionally flashing? Is it likely to cause me any problems or damage? 

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've given the Veyron a good going over today. It took a bit of messing to find the sound I wanted, to be fair most of that was down to trying to tame the bass boost circuit on my Jag. But oh my God it sounds absolutely amazing! For the first time probably ever I'm 100 percent happy with the sound I'm getting, and I finally get the P bass thing. Switching between the P's and J on the Jag they both sound totally different and both superb without having to touch the amp again. 

I've had the same issues that were mentioned earlier in the thread with the input / preamp clipping light coming on, but it's only intermittent when I dig in and I can't hear any distortion or anything untoward. Even with the the gain all the way off the light still flashes. I can solve the problem by engaging the -15 decibel button, but it sounds much better without it so I'm tempted to just leave it. Is anyone else running with the clip light occasionally flashing? Is it likely to cause me any problems or damage? 

Most amps have the clip light after the gain stage, so (as you were expecting) if you turn down the gain you get fewer clipping events. Some amps (including the venerable GK RB series) have the clip light before the gain as they figure you might purposefully want to drive the preamp. These clip lights therefore only watch the input and will be effected by the pad as you've noticed or by simply turning the bass guitar down.

Regardless, driving a preamp shouldn't cause any mechanical problems. In this case if it sounds alright don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack said:

Most amps have the clip light after the gain stage, so (as you were expecting) if you turn down the gain you get fewer clipping events. Some amps (including the venerable GK RB series) have the clip light before the gain as they figure you might purposefully want to drive the preamp. These clip lights therefore only watch the input and will be effected by the pad as you've noticed or by simply turning the bass guitar down.

Regardless, driving a preamp shouldn't cause any mechanical problems. In this case if it sounds alright don't worry about it.

Brilliant. Thanks Jack. Much appreciated. 

I'll sit back and enjoy the light show then. It does look very pretty all lit up. 

• 1 month later...

I gave my back a rest last night and left the valves at home. Gave the Bugera a run out as it was a new venue, entirely unmapped, so didn't want to risk finding stairs or an awkward load in with huge heavy gear. Paired with two BF 15" cabs my goodness this was a monster trouser flapping feast of bass. Flat tone, just the high and low buttons in, and pushed the upper middle of the mids (coincidentally almost exactly the same as I set up my Ampeg) and it was good to go. The only thing I fiddled with was balance between gain and master. Didn't want to be too shy on the input level but didn't want to drive it either. Once I found my sweet spot I was a very happy bass bunny.

Got two gigs in one day with a crazy drive between venues next weekend and an open mic the day before. Given the speed at which we will need to tear down, load, unload and set up again, lightweight will be the key once more. I fancy this rather splendid little amp will get another outing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

I gave my back a rest last night and left the valves at home. Gave the Bugera a run out as it was a new venue, entirely unmapped, so didn't want to risk finding stairs or an awkward load in with huge heavy gear. Paired with two BF 15" cabs my goodness this was a monster trouser flapping feast of bass. Flat tone, just the high and low buttons in, and pushed the upper middle of the mids (coincidentally almost exactly the same as I set up my Ampeg) and it was good to go. The only thing I fiddled with was balance between gain and master. Didn't want to be too shy on the input level but didn't want to drive it either. Once I found my sweet spot I was a very happy bass bunny.

Got two gigs in one day with a crazy drive between venues next weekend and an open mic the day before. Given the speed at which we will need to tear down, load, unload and set up again, lightweight will be the key once more. I fancy this rather splendid little amp will get another outing.

Good stuff. I'm glad you like it Stu. I'm massively impressed with mine. I honestly don't know why anyone would spend more money on a class D than it costs to buy one of these. (Other than brand snobbery) They're absolutely superb! 

• Like 3

Can someone with one of these amps please do me a favour....  set it up with max gain without clipping and master volume right down, play a note while turning the master volume up and down. Is it a clean change of volume or is there any 'interference' like a scratchy pot sort of noise?

Edited by goingdownslow

3 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

Can someone with one of these amps please do me a favour....  set it up with max gain without clipping and master volume right down, play a note while turning the master volume up and down. Is it a clean change of volume or is there any 'interference' like a scratchy pot sort of noise?

It's in the lock up but I'll get it out the moment this rain stops and do exactly that

And the answer is....(drumroll)....

Yes.

It sounds like a very faintly dirty pot. Never noticed it before. I was going to say something stupid like it seems to disappear the more you turn up the volume but of course it just gets swamped by an enormous bass note. It is so like a dirty pot that I still think it might be but unlike a dirty pot there is no effect on the note, no dead spots. Just a very faint interference.

Back off out to give it a squirt of switch cleaner. Will report again.

IMG_20190312_150843.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, Stew.

Reason was you may have seen my other thread last month where I mentioned this problem and sent my amp back with replacement stock not due until June. I was so impressed with the amp that I was prepared to wait sooner than have a refund, however I noticed yesterday on G4Ms site they had one left in stock so I emailed them asking when the stock arrived as I had heard nothing regarding my replacement. The reply was it was now on the way to me, but no answer as to where it came from. I had my thoughts, and when it arrived this morning I was right, it was the amp I had returned, I had noted the serial number before sending it back. After letting it get to room temp (it felt like it had just come out of cold storage) I tested it and it was exactly the same. Doesn't look like it had been opened. Other than this noise when turning the control I can't fault the amplifier and am beginning to wonder if that is just how they are.

I had max gain without clipping and bass about 3o'clock, it seems the more bass heavy the note the worse it is. The 'dirty' noise starts from zero to about 2 or 3 and as you say seems to disappear as the volume of the note gets louder.  As said, other than that I like it and want to keep it but worried that it may be a problem that could get worse. Still, it has a 2 year warranty.

I must confess I hadn't noticed it until my little test. Interference from the light around the volume knob? It definitely diminishes as the volume climbs. i use the mute button so proibably never dropped the volume below the 3rd click before, explains why I hadn't noticed.

Edited by stewblack
Spelled nob wrong

• 3 months later...

So all you Bugera M owners on this thread, you've had your amps for six months or longer now :) 

If you still have one, how are you getting on with them? Planning to keep? How has it performed in a live mix? Any particular quirks or idiosyncrasies?**

Did you get to the bottom of the 'dirty noise' point that @goingdownslow mentioned?

Subject to that one point, as a back up amp or just something to try for a change without breaking the bank, this does look like a good option.

** PS on that score, please let's not revisit the whole it's NOT a 2000W RMS amp - we know(!) - that was definitely done to death! 😂

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

So all you Bugera M owners on this thread, you've had your amps for six months or longer now :) 

If you still have one, how are you getting on with them? Planning to keep? How has it performed in a live mix? Any particular quirks or idiosyncrasies?**

Did you get to the bottom of the 'dirty noise' point that @goingdownslow mentioned?

Subject to that one point, as a back up amp or just something to try for a change without breaking the bank, this does look like a good option.

** PS on that score, please let's not revisit the whole it's NOT a 2000W RMS amp - we know(!) - that was definitely done to death! 😂

Yup. Still using mine and still Absolutely blown away with how good it is. We've recently done a couple of outdoor gigs and I still didn't get the volume over half way. I was actually complemented at the weekend how good the bass sounded at an outdoor gig. They're absolutely superb. 

• Like 1