Why become a member? ×

NAD Bugera Veyron BV1001M

Chienmortbb

The tube and mosfet versions are based (copies of) on very different amps. I believe the tube is based on the GB Streamliner and the mosfet has very similar features to Ampeg heads. Therefore I wouldn't expect a review of the tube version to give much indication of the mosfet other than they probably share the same class D power section.

Edited by Sparky Mark

12 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The tube and mosfet versions are based (copies of) on very different amps. I believe the tube is based on the GB Streamliner and the mosfet has very similar features to Ampeg heads. Therefore I wouldn't expect a review of the tube version to give much indication of the mosfet other than they probably share the same class D power section.

There are some similarities in tone with the two but my personal opinion is that the T has more of a low mid presence than the M. The preamp sections are slightly different as well....

7 hours ago, ebozzz said:

There are some similarities in tone with the two but my personal opinion is that the T has more of a low mid presence than the M. The preamp sections are slightly different as well....

The pre amp controls are very different; the mosfet offering the Ampeg style ultra hi and lo as well as five frequency bands for the mid range EQ. Personally I would favour the mosfet feature set.

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

The pre amp controls are very different; the mosfet offering the Ampeg style ultra hi and lo as well as five frequency bands for the mid range EQ. Personally I would favour the mosfet feature set.

Yeah I've been going backwards and forwards for a while on this and I think I'm definitely going to plump for the Mosfet. I just don't think a tube preamp is worth the extra cost or possible reliably issues for what it brings to the party. 

3 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Different, yes. Very different? I don't know that I am in agreement there. Having owned both amps at the same time, my personal experience is that the amps sound & perform in a very similar fashion. The main difference to my ears is that I felt the T was a little more darker or warmer sounding than the M. At least, that was my perception with the cabs and instruments that I was working with at the time that I had both. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I've been going backwards and forwards for a while on this and I think I'm definitely going to plump for the Mosfet. I just don't think a tube preamp is worth the extra cost or possible reliably issues for what it brings to the party. 

I kept my T for about a year and I've had an M for over three years. Never had an issue with either. Also, I know of at least two people that have had a T for longer than I've had my M.If I were contemplating the purchase of one of the Veyrons, I would just go with the one that I felt suited my tone needs best. I honestly don't think there's a drastic difference in performance or reliability......

Edited by ebozzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ebozzz said:

I kept my T for about a year and I've had an M for over three years. Never had an issue with either. Also, I know of at least two people that have had a T for longer than I've had my M.If I were contemplating the purchase of one of the Veyrons, I would just go with the one that I felt suited my tone needs best. I honestly don't think there's a drastic difference in performance or reliability......

Thanks. I'm kind of still finding "my tone" so nothing is set in stone in that regard. As the Mosfet version is currently in stock and the cheaper of the two then it seems like the logical choice. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one. Judging by pretty much every review I've read I hopefully shouldn't be disappointed. 

For £220 new or thereabouts I doubt that there's better value out there. I believe it's a genuine 500 watt RMS head (maybe a smidge more) rather than the advertised 2000 watts which is plenty for almost any reasonable gig. If i didn't already have a dozen or so amps I'd be tempted. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one. Judging by pretty much every review I've read I hopefully shouldn't be disappointed. 

I would be surprised if you are disappointed. Mine is a thundering beast of a thing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

For £220 new or thereabouts I doubt that there's better value out there. I believe it's a genuine 500 watt RMS head (maybe a smidge more) rather than the advertised 2000 watts which is plenty for almost any reasonable gig. If i didn't already have a dozen or so amps I'd be tempted. 

Yeah I figured about the same based on the 2000w peak rating. Although from what I've read it holds its own against many 800w amps in direct comparison. Either way it should be more than I ever need. My new cabs are 500w combined so I should get plenty of headroom. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I figured about the same based on the 2000w peak rating. Although from what I've read it holds its own against many 800w amps in direct comparison. Either way it should be more than I ever need. My new cabs are 500w combined so I should get plenty of headroom. 

I couldn't remember quite how it'd tested but 800 watts wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

I'm not a scientist so please take whatever I say with a pinch of salt, but I've played both this amp and an Orange Terror (allegedly 1000 watts) through the same cabs at various venues and I've never noticed any loss of volume/power/output/headroom (call it what you will) when using the Bugera. Doesn't bother me what numbers the marketing people choose, it's lightweight, pretty, versatile and sounds great 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm not a scientist so please take whatever I say with a pinch of salt, but I've played both this amp and an Orange Terror (allegedly 1000 watts) through the same cabs at various venues and I've never noticed any loss of volume/power/output/headroom (call it what you will) when using the Bugera. Doesn't bother me what numbers the marketing people choose, it's lightweight, pretty, versatile and sounds great 

..... and cheap! Don't forget cheap. Unbelievable value at just over £200. 

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

..... and cheap! Don't forget cheap. Unbelievable value at just over £200. 

Mine was an Amazon 'as new' guessing it had been returned. If my fading memory serves it was around £160 - £170.

Collosal bargain.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Mine was an Amazon 'as new' guessing it had been returned. If my fading memory serves it was around £160 - £170.

Collosal bargain.

Wow that's an absolute steal! I got mine for £205 brand new from Thomann. Looks like I was just in time too. They've just gone out of stock again for 2-4 weeks the day after I ordered. I may even have bought the last one they had. I'd have been gutted! I've been hanging on for the past couple of weeks waiting for a PA to come in stock that I also wanted. The PA came in and the Veyron sold out within a day of each other. Thankfully I was on the ball. 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2019 at 10:01, Newfoundfreedom said:

Wow that's an absolute steal! I got mine for £205 brand new from Thomann. Looks like I was just in time too. They've just gone out of stock again for 2-4 weeks the day after I ordered. I may even have bought the last one they had. I'd have been gutted! I've been hanging on for the past couple of weeks waiting for a PA to come in stock that I also wanted. The PA came in and the Veyron sold out within a day of each other. Thankfully I was on the ball. 

So how did you find it?

On 11/01/2019 at 10:02, bloodandtearsuk said:

Fired up my T model this week in the house.. coupled with an Eminence loaded Ashdown 4x10 it sounded awesome, really meaty, clean and warm.

Will try it and band practice next week at serious volume and see how it sits in our mix.

So how did it sound?

I'm betting the tube version is a killer. Ran my MOSFET through a barefaced 110 and an ampeg 410 at rehearsal and it sounded awesome. Huge bottom sharp and crisp tops good selection of mid-range options to suit the room. Only criticism I could find is it's a little bit clean for my tastes. Which is why I suspect the tube preamp might make all the difference.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'm betting the tube version is a killer. Ran my MOSFET through a barefaced 110 and an ampeg 410 at rehearsal and it sounded awesome. Huge bottom sharp and crisp tops good selection of mid-range options to suit the room. Only criticism I could find is it's a little bit clean for my tastes. Which is why I suspect the tube preamp might make all the difference.

From what I've heard even the tube version is extremely clean sounding, just a little warmer. I think these amps are designed that way. Probably not the right choice for someone looking for built in "dirt". 

• Like 1

I caveat this with the fact that I am a newb bass player...

Last night I hooked up my Tube version to an Ampeg 8x10 classic fridge..   wow.. just wow..  very warm and full. I play melodic rock, some upbeat stuff some ballads..  ("Seven More Days" blatant promo). I can't profess to have given it a full work over eq-wise etc, but at a very flat eq setting it was excellent.. and very very loud. It cuts well and very clean. I've only touched on what this can do I'm sure but immediately I had results.

The rest of the band were stunned, and commented on how well it sits, and previously I was borrowing an Ampeg SVT classic valve head!!!!

• Like 2