Why become a member? ×

There is life after 50

Guest aDx

Had an audition with a rock covers band last week and I got the position!!  made up!!

All are good players and singer good too

So it goes to show, just keep trying and something may happen

Over....

Congrats, there certainly is life after 50, I`ve achieved more (musically) in my 50s that I ever did before. Got a gig in Munich at the weekend, flying there, flying back, never had those opportunities in anything i did previously.

• Like 1

50? Its a number. I have played more gigs with better musicians, with less ego, than ever before. Our keys player is 71 and the best I have ever played with,  he is first to turn up for rehearsals and he lives the furthest away. Life is good at 66 and I no longer have to work for the man so more time to devote to music. :biggrin:

• Like 4

There's clearly been a collective consumption of something funny which seems to me is resulting in dreary, overstated optimism. I need to call this out.

As someone who has passed the aforesaid milestone it's obvious to me that life became pointless at 49 years and 11 months - the fact that I'm loving life as much as I've ever done, is clearly part of this collective delusion.

And this same delusion is having a retarding effect on my songwriting - what's happened to all that youthful angst that was so helpful in getting those creative juices going? No one is going to buy a record entitled "Happy" are they?

• Like 1

Some bands start to wise up that folks of a certain age who's kids are already independent are actually more relaible and less likely to miss rehearsals and gigs due to some family crisis or other. The ones with some gigging miles have usually had the overdone ego thing fosters taken out of them too so are easier to work with.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Ha ha this talk about older geezers getting back into gigging again reminds me of the current Legal & General TV ad featuring same ageing rock chick with large teeth

As an aside, music or otherwise, I find these adverts abhorrent.  These effing jolly old technicolour backstories selling a product barely a step above loan sharkism.  Believe me, if anyone thinks it's a good idea to enter into one of these schemes, step back from the edge, take a deep breath and just don't do it. 

Edited by NancyJohnson

7 hours ago, aDx said:

Had an audition with a rock covers band last week and I got the position!!  made up!!

All are good players and singer good too

So it goes to show, just keep trying and something may happen

Over....

Well done Ad...

I bumped into the fella who's in charge of the Music dept at the Uni...he can only release details of students studying music internally(to other Uni staff)..so there about 500 musical contacts for you.

2 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

Erm.... yes 😈

That's fair enuff and understandable. Some time ago I used to watch a gardening show which was fronted by uber tasty former model turned horticulturalist Rachel de Thame, and it wasn't for tips on growing dhalias!. And I quite like Antiques Roadshow n' all!  

57 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

That's fair enuff and understandable. Some time ago I used to watch a gardening show which was fronted by uber tasty former model turned horticulturalist Rachel de Thame, and it wasn't for tips on growing dhalias!. And I quite like Antiques Roadshow n' all!  

Good spelling, dharling!

I'd given up. Late forties, couldn't get an audition never mind a gig. Too old.

54 years old and another band I'd not even heard back from contacted me, desperate. New Years Eve, they'd chosen someone else but he couldn't do NYE. Bit of a cheek but would I consider it?

I still tease them now about the bloody cheek of asking after not even giving me the audition but I did it and now I'm their regular dep, playing bass in three other bands and hosting regular jam nights. Playing bass every day, taking lessons, learning to read music and having the best extra curricular activity I've ever had.

Give up? I tried to. No point. Bass isn't a hobby, a job, an obsession, it's in my blood.

• Like 3