Why become a member? ×

Basses with 2x P-Bass pickups as stock..?

SlapbassSteve

11 minutes ago, baa said:

I have a deep love for double P.

And Vantage basses!

Hence my six Vantage VP710B.

Matsumoku basses from late 70's early 80's.

Edit: just saw that TheGreek posted a pic of my collection...😎

FB_IMG_1477074119355.jpg

Found the pics on Google... 

47 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Found the pics on Google... 

Fully understandable, since i take every chance i can to show them.

Quite the coincidence we posted the same picture at the same time! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baa said:

Fully understandable, since i take every chance i can to show them.

Quite the coincidence we posted the same picture at the same time! 😀

Do you want to add it to the "power of coincidence" thread or should I?? It would be really weird if we did it at the same time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some really enlightening stuff there, cheers folks! Interesting about the soapbar thing, got to wonder how many 'stealth' twin-P basses are out there...

Particularly like the look of those Vantage basses, will be keeping an eye out for one in future, I'm big into my Matsumoku stuff- came across this stunner on eBay earlier, although the price is a little intimidating- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westbury-Track-4-bass-guitar-c-1980-Matsumoku-factory-Japan/292661377603?hash=item4423fa3a43:g:lNMAAOSwnM1bXx7H

You can add quite a few Dingwalls to the 'stealth' category - Sheldon makes a 'P-Tone' pickup that's exactly that, a split-coil in a soapbar - see below. Oh, and my Shukerbird has a Dingwall P-Tone underneath the chrome pickup cover..kinda double-stealth 😁

dingwall1.jpg

shukerbird.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Couple of folk have mentioned the Revelation RPBX. I'd planned on building a similar bass for ages but sometimes it's prudent just to buy one 😎

R3Xw8cFl.jpg 

They had one in TR Music in Walsall and when I heard their guitar tech playing it, I was sorely tempted (still am). Looks like a vintage Jazz, sounds like a P-bass with that added extra. I'm talking myself into it here :lol:

11 hours ago, SlapbassSteve said:

Some really enlightening stuff there, cheers folks! Interesting about the soapbar thing, got to wonder how many 'stealth' twin-P basses are out there...

Particularly like the look of those Vantage basses, will be keeping an eye out for one in future, I'm big into my Matsumoku stuff- came across this stunner on eBay earlier, although the price is a little intimidating- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westbury-Track-4-bass-guitar-c-1980-Matsumoku-factory-Japan/292661377603?hash=item4423fa3a43:g:lNMAAOSwnM1bXx7H

Hilarious wishful thinking price - typical of that seller! Real world prices are closer to £300 for a Westy Track 4, not that they come up too often though.

2xP was a pretty common format in late 70s/early 80s MIJ basses, often clearly inspired by the BC Riches of the era. Never had one myself but always had GAS for one, something obscure like this would do nicely...

hayakawa-electric-bass-used-hayakawa-eagle-neck-through-4-string-electric-bass-with-case-25339342861_2048x.thumb.jpg.f58e30261505612a6c95d1fe79586fae.jpg

41 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Just seen this, someone buy it before I have to... £188 inc postage to mainland UK. Less than a Squier Affinity, and far superior pups.

https://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p9119_Revelation-RPBX-Bass-3TSB.html

Buy it 👍 The neck's should be proper P-bass wide but double check, a rogue batch got shipped with 38mm jazz necks. Not too light in weight, decent hardware and cracking set of pickups. 

The neck's quite slim in profile. 

Revelation is a UK company so that's another good reason for buying one 😁

43 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Buy it 👍 The neck's should be proper P-bass wide but double check, a rogue batch got shipped with 38mm jazz necks. Not too light in weight, decent hardware and cracking set of pickups. 

The neck's quite slim in profile. 

Revelation is a UK company so that's another good reason for buying one 😁

Sorely tempted. I'm a P guy through and through, I'm also not fussed about neck widths.

• Like 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:03, SlapbassSteve said:

Hi all, I recently got hold of a Vox Standard bass (early 80's Japanese thing with a single DiMarzio P-bass style pickup right next to the bridge) and it sounds fantastic, surprisingly JayDee-like with the right effects added, the pickup just seems to work really well in that position.

Not that surprising really, because underneath those wooden covers are reverse P pick-ups

Jaydee_Mark_King_Bass[1].png

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

I forgot about this one 😱 Don't know how, it's been on it's stand daring me to try playing it for about 18 months now 😁

Surely we could discuss terms for me to relieve you of it! I have been berating myself forever for selling mine!

36 minutes ago, biro said:

Surely we could discuss terms for me to relieve you of it! I have been berating myself forever for selling mine!

Those would be tough terms. I've one of every Peavey bass and the variations like 1st and 2nd generation TL-5s,4 types of Fury etc .

If I sold the TL-6 I'd have a Panini sticker book with a blank space 🙁

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have a Vox Standard I will never sell.  They do make a great noise :)  I do need to find a fretless neck for it.  Preferably something slightly slimmer than a California redwood...

Both my P-P basses are bitsas - a pink Westfield and a not-Fender by BCer hamfist (which he is not). 

• Like 1

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 01:03, SlapbassSteve said:

Hi all, I recently got hold of a Vox Standard bass (early 80's Japanese thing with a single DiMarzio P-bass style pickup right next to the bridge) and it sounds fantastic, surprisingly JayDee-like with the right effects added, the pickup just seems to work really well in that position.

It's got me thinking, I'm sure I've seen a few over the years, but does anyone know of any basses with 2x p-bass pickups(think jazz bass configuration, but with two p-style split pickups instead of jazz-style ones)? 

I think Fender might have done a blacktop-series bass along these lines fairly recently, plus some early BC Rich Mockingbird style-stuff and possibly certain models of Westone Thunder might have had this, and of course tonnes of people have modded basses along these lines... really though I'm after basses that would have had this config from the factory- if anyone can recall anything it'd be much appreciated! Cheers!

Revelation do a Bass with double P type p/up and don't be put off by cheap price they are decent basses well put together and very playable....all come fitted with Alan Entwhistle p/ups....google there website. 

4 hours ago, thebigyin said:

Revelation do a Bass with double P type p/up and don't be put off by cheap price they are decent basses well put together and very playable....all come fitted with Alan Entwhistle p/ups....google there website. 

You may want to check earlier posts in this thread. 😉

• Like 1