Why become a member? ×

Basses with 2x P-Bass pickups as stock..?

SlapbassSteve

Hi all, I recently got hold of a Vox Standard bass (early 80's Japanese thing with a single DiMarzio P-bass style pickup right next to the bridge) and it sounds fantastic, surprisingly JayDee-like with the right effects added, the pickup just seems to work really well in that position.

It's got me thinking, I'm sure I've seen a few over the years, but does anyone know of any basses with 2x p-bass pickups(think jazz bass configuration, but with two p-style split pickups instead of jazz-style ones)? 

I think Fender might have done a blacktop-series bass along these lines fairly recently, plus some early BC Rich Mockingbird style-stuff and possibly certain models of Westone Thunder might have had this, and of course tonnes of people have modded basses along these lines... really though I'm after basses that would have had this config from the factory- if anyone can recall anything it'd be much appreciated! Cheers!

Fender Elite basses from the 80s.

Recently check out DeTemple bass.

http://www.detempleguitars.com/temp/CATALOG_ITEMS/DeTemple_P55_over.php

These certainly look the beans.

Hohner headless basses are 2 split coils in their housings.

BC Rich

Warwick john Entwistle Buzzard bass - although being the massive bell ends that are Warwick not only forced the destruction of the moulds so the real graphite version of this by status cannot be produced, they also then produced a wackass version of the bass.

Edited by Cuzzie
  • Like 1

Revelation have a Jazz bass with twin P pickups. 

There have been Warwick corvettes (and possibly a few others in addition to the buzzard already mentioned) with twin p pickups. 

De Gier did a copy of Lee Sklar's twin P bass. 

James Lomenzo's main Yamaha squeezes, a custom BB and a modified Attitude, both have twin P pickups and the EBO-style pickup at the neck too. 

7 hours ago, SlapbassSteve said:

I think Fender might have done a blacktop-series bass along these lines fairly recently....

This is the Blacktop Jazz bass from a few years back in 'Blizzard Pearl':

fbt2.jpg

Edited by Ruiner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Spector has done some double P's on their US models NS-2 and NS-5.

Also worth mentioning that EMG offers P's in soapbar housing, like the 35P or 40P5
I have a bass that I've put two of these in so that is technically a double P

image.thumb.png.ae0d4f338850c2ba709c2b4d0b570235.png

Spot on! There are actually quite a few soap bars on the market that are P coil types. It’s not always obvious from the name or of course what the pickup looks like on the outside. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dood said:

Spot on! There are actually quite a few soap bars on the market that are P coil types. It’s not always obvious from the name or of course what the pickup looks like on the outside. 

did not know this, i have a spector with twin soapbars assumed they where humbucker types, may take the covers of to have a look. If its true that is kind of  disappointing or not, depends what we you look at it, as they do sound good.

5 hours ago, Ruiner said:

This is the Blacktop Jazz bass from a few years back in 'Blizzard Pearl':

I was very sorely tempted by those a few years ago, but I never got a chance to try one - anyone know what they were like?

I imagine a tone with more "grunt" than a Jazz bass, but not quite as dark as a Thunderbird - how many miles off the mark am I?

9 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Spector has done some double P's on their US models NS-2 and NS-5.

Also worth mentioning that EMG offers P's in soapbar housing, like the 35P or 40P5
I have a bass that I've put two of these in so that is technically a double P

image.thumb.png.ae0d4f338850c2ba709c2b4d0b570235.png

My main Shuker has a pair of the 35P4s in it. Sounds fantastic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rollin Thunder said:

did not know this, i have a spector with twin soapbars assumed they where humbucker types, may take the covers of to have a look. If its true that is kind of  disappointing or not, depends what we you look at it, as they do sound good.

For my knowledge Spector uses EMG 35/40/45 DS's and TW's as a default in their US, Euro and some of the Legend line so practically if there is a soapbar shaped EMG in your Spector that will either a DC (silver EMG logo) or a TW (red lettering) Lately they started using the X series version of these, too. 

1 hour ago, Paulhauser said:

For my knowledge Spector uses EMG 35/40/45 DS's and TW's as a default in their US, Euro and some of the Legend line so practically if there is a soapbar shaped EMG in your Spector that will either a DC (silver EMG logo) or a TW (red lettering) Lately they started using the X series version of these, too. 

yeah probably the silver ones 35's

49 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The three diagonal dials are volume for each pup, and the other is master tone. It mkes sense when you know what each does.

OK, so with the acres of available space, why so close together? THAT does not make ANY sense!

8 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Revelation have a Jazz bass with twin P pickups. 

There have been Warwick corvettes (and possibly a few others in addition to the buzzard already mentioned) with twin p pickups. 

De Gier did a copy of Lee Sklar's twin P bass. 

James Lomenzo's main Yamaha squeezes, a custom BB and a modified Attitude, both have twin P pickups and the EBO-style pickup at the neck too. 

Revelation RPBX

I have a deep love for double P.

And Vantage basses!

Hence my six Vantage VP710B.

Matsumoku basses from late 70's early 80's.

Edit: just saw that TheGreek posted a pic of my collection...😎

FB_IMG_1477074119355.jpg

Edited by baa
  • Like 1