Why become a member? ×

Eude throws down the gauntlet

Andyjr1515

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

They're custom strings @eude gets from Newtone.  I'll check the packet in the morning.

They're a custom set wound to 125TW 100 80 60 40 28 in Nickel, and they are wound to feel as close to those gauges on 34" as they can be at 31.5" scale.
I believe they have thicker cores.
I tried heavier and lighter strings, regular, tapered, and exposed core and the 125TW felt about right.
I've played Nickel for a long old time, but I've just ordered a Stainless Steel set for one of my 6ers to maybe get a little more bite.

All in, I can't recommend Newtone strings enough.
I used to use DRs, mainly Sun Beams, but their quality control became appalling, and as much as I liked the Sun Beams, they were a little too mellow, and the Lo Riders, a little too much. The Newtone Nickels sit perfectly in between for me, the feel of Sun Beams, but with a little more edge and poke.
They're hand made here in the UK, so using them supports a local business too is a nice extra as well.

If anyone wants to hear how the B is on the shorter scale with these custom Netwone strings, here's some samples I did when I got my first ACG short(er) scale 6, apologies in advance for the playing >>

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude
  • Like 3

Well, this is all ready to ship. 

In the final set-up, I realised I'd still got one or two high-spots in an area of the fretboard so re-levelled and polished up.  With my style of playing, it plays fine at a much lower action than I would normally set my own basses with some nice 'mwah-ing' going on.

So tomorrow I will be making sure that the bass is secure and supported in the Hiscox case Ewan sent me and get it all ready for shipping first thing Monday.  So before that, the final shots:

VUg2Beuh.jpg

Sl5BQTXh.jpg

A2MFEoFh.jpg

• Like 10

Guest Marcoelwray
16 minutes ago, eude said:

Complete and utter filth in the best possible taste of course!
I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this bass, a dream brought to life, thank you @Andyjr1515!

Eude

And we (I ?) want to hear it !

4 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

And we (I ?) want to hear it !

Ha ha, but of course!
It's meant to be for my 40th birthday at the end of December, however I'll try and record a little noodle before I put it away till then.

Watch this space ;)

Eude

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

So you get your Birthday pressie early...

What are the chances of it staying wrapped till then??

Well it'll need to be unwrapped initially, just to make sure it survived the courier, but then I'm afraid, after some stolen moments, it'll be squirrelled away by my better half...

Eude

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BassTool said:

Big thanks to Andy for sharing this revamp, really enjoyed it, superb skills as usual, and of course congrats on getting YOUR dream bass Eude, it looks great ;)

Indeed. Always entertaining and awe inspiring. 👏👏👏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well folks, the bass arrived safe and sound yesterday and it is amazing!

Securely and very neatly packed up and as a result completely unscathed. My experience with UPS has been exemplary over the years with this kind of stuff, I'd recommend them to anyone shipping a bass, just make sure and insure it properly too, just in case ;)

Anyway, I digress.
The bass!

I could not be happier with what @Andyjr1515 has done for me.
This bass had sat, in various cases, in various accommodation over the past 20 years, completely untouched and unloved.
The dream bass of the 16 year old me, had never quite been realised, and although I managed to make something serviceable enough, it never quite hit the mark and got sidelined after a couple of years constant use.

• I always wished I had added a darker top wood.
  • I always wished I hadn't made it a 36" scale.
  • I always wished I'd not messed up the control cavity and covered it up with a massive piece of tortoise shell scratchplate material.
  • I always wished I hadn't bought that weird Wilkinson bridge, although options were limited back in the mid 90's.
  • I always wished it wasn't so bloody heavy!

@Andyjr1515 has righted all those wrongs and I now have the bass I wanted way back when and still want now 😎
He took on what was really a bit of a pig of a job, and fixed everything in his signature creative way, with fantastic communication all the way and at record speed to meet my imposed deadline.

The bass plays and sounds amazing, extra props for the neck carve, it's absolutely perfect and works wonderfully with my preferred choice of a flat fingerboard.
Interestingly, the bass still sounds much like I remember, only a little fatter in the lows and with a sweeter upper register, much in part to the change in scale length from 36" to 31.5", but the same character is still there which is fantastic.

Sadly, I didn't manage to record anything with the bass, as I couldn't really start noodling till my kids were in bed, making filming anything impossible
The bass is now packed up and squirrelled away till the 27th, but I'll get some recordings done soon after that, people need to see and hear this bass. I keep going on and on about shorter scale ERBs being just as good as long scale ones when built properly and using a considered string choice, and this bass only helps to reinforce that argument, the low B is fantastic.

So, in summary, I would not hesitate to recommend @Andyjr1515 for a mod project, or full build, he's a really great guy and certainly know what he's doing.

Thank you Andy!

Eude

Edited by eude
speeling
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hey @eude

Nothing in your last post that surprised me...I'm one of Andy's biggest fans and have absolute faith in the quality of his work. The only issue I have is what to get him to build for me next!! 🤔 🤔

Enjoy the bass...not sure that I could wait till your birthday on the 27th though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Hey @eude

Nothing in your last post that surprised me...I'm one of Andy's biggest fans and have absolute faith in the quality of his work. The only issue I have is what to get him to build for me next!! 🤔 🤔

Enjoy the bass...not sure that I could wait till your birthday on the 27th though.

The work @Andyjr1515 has carried out for you @TheGreek went a long way to convince me that Andy was the right man for the job.

What to build you next? How about a short(er) scale 6 string like mine? I think Andy enjoyed having one around!

As far as the wait goes, I've got far too much going on in the run up, what with prepping for Xmas with 2 kids, one of whom has a birthday just before too.
I very much look forward to being selfish on the 27th and spending some time with my present though :)

Eude

• Like 3

Andy, sorry I've only just caught up on this but have read from first till last in one sitting, enthralled (really, I don't get out much🙄)

This is really a great technical build, lots of creative problem solving and an end result that looks amazing.  You really couldn't ask for more in a build thread.  

Eggnog all round. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Any recordings yet?

Hey mate, not yet I'm afraid.
Juggling young children and work is making doing anything much for myself pretty tricky, even getting to a decent barbers has eluded me for longer than it should, I'm starting to look like Tom Hanks in Castaway!

image.thumb.png.e1a46f6e9f9e0bbb21aceae1a277016f.png

I was hoping to get a couple of videos done, but doing this without waking the kids is basically unpossible.
If I don't manage over the coming weekend, I'll just do some audio with my little Olympus digital recorder and pop them on SoundCloud.

While you're here, is there anything particular you'd like to hear?

Eude