Why become a member? ×

Eude throws down the gauntlet

Andyjr1515

Second slurry and wipe for the body and first for the neck and headstock:

ooLl8DNl.jpg

X5043qnl.jpg

Ooj5vepl.jpg

Piling this and all of the hardware on the scales, it's going to end up just over 8lbs and should balance nicely :)

Not too many items left on the to do list, to be honest...

Andy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Is the matching cushion part of the build??

Absolutely! Black Friday Week on Saturday Deal - free colour coordinating cushion with every heavily modded 20 year old project!

Haven't told MrsAndyjr1515 yet, but I'm sure she'll be fully supportive :)

• Haha 4

Another couple of jobs off the tick list.

With the body dry enough to handle but not dry enough for the next coat, I shielded the control chamber and fitted the magnets.  I'll be adding a small fingernail scoop into the rear body edge for easy access to open it.

Note the original scratchplate screw holes in the rebate that are now hidden under the new cover

AXqzP2jl.jpg

AcFJQnWl.jpg

Right - that's enough for one day.  Besides, MrsAndyjr1515 is pressuring me for a gin and tonic.  Maybe I'll mention the cushion once she's had a few sips ;)

• Haha 2

Guest Marcoelwray

On this particular picture I can perceive what y'all mean about katalox classy side.

It will be chrome knobs? Or wooden? I've found some awesome cheap wooden knobs....

1 minute ago, Marcoelwray said:

On this particular picture I can perceive what y'all mean about katalox classy side.

It will be chrome knobs? Or wooden? I've found some awesome cheap wooden knobs....

On this one it will be the nice and heavy chrome ones that @eude had on his original build.  They go well with the chrome bridge and tuners.

Ref wooden knobs, I've actually started making my own...I was fed up searching for decent ones.  Which ones have you found?

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

On this one it will be the nice and heavy chrome ones that @eude had on his original build.  They go well with the chrome bridge and tuners.

Ref wooden knobs, I've actually started making my own...I was fed up searching for decent ones.  Which ones have you found?

Ok, because I used to put Sandberg knobs, they are very well made, not as common as WW ones & others.

Harley Benton (with a brass inlay):

https://m.thomann.de/be/harley_benton_parts_dome_speed_rw_off_center.htm?o=7&search=1543763312

Same model exists in ebony.

For the price tag....... 

55 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

Ok, because I used to put Sandberg knobs, they are very well made, not as common as WW ones & others.

Harley Benton (with a brass inlay):

https://m.thomann.de/be/harley_benton_parts_dome_speed_rw_off_center.htm?o=7&search=1543763312

Same model exists in ebony.

For the price tag....... 

Ah yes - I've used their metal ones.  Good, at any price for those!  Superb quality. 

I'll try some of the wood ones - hadn't realised they did wood ones too.  Thanks for the tip-off and link!

Guest Marcoelwray

Check the other HB wood knobs. It's for split shaft, but very easy to modify (plastic inside), look like expensive ones and it's 1.32 euros / piece. Look what it looks like when installed:

IMG_20181130_021420.jpg

Every little helps - another tick off the To Do list.

Magnets on the truss rod cover:

7fHdxsjl.jpg

2ac3b7Wl.jpg

I know it's tempting fate but, from a build point of view rather than the additional wait time for the finish to fully harden (probably a further week), this should be finished this week :)

• Like 4

I suppose if this was a fancy made-to-measure suit, this is the '2nd fitting' stage ;)

I'm working on the fretboard now that the neck and fretboard will have settled down and everything is OK to do a trial setup.

There was a slight back bow on the unstrung neck, leaving the lower frets a bit low and a little unevenness along the fretboard so I've been gently flattening it with light work with a cabinet scraper and levelling beams.  

v2CEw2Ul.jpg 

PK4VHfel.jpg

Almost there with the fretboard.  It's now fine all the way from the 3rd fret to the top on a fairly low action on all strings but there's still just a bit of buzz on the 1st and 2nd fret positions so I've just got a touch more fettling to do.

Also noticed two of my side dots are just a touch out of alignment - I'll redo those once the messing about with the fretboard is finished :)

Andy

• Like 4

OK 'third fitting' completed - strings off, neck off, nut off, bit more scraping, full length and 3-fret rock checking, found a couple of high spots, scraped, resanded, checked, nut back on, neck back on, strings back on

And it plays great :)

So that leaves a few tidy up jobs - there's a rough edge at one of the neck join areas, as I said above, two of the side dots need replacing and this time in the right place lining up with the others 9_9 , fretboard edges need softening, fretboard needs sanding progressively to 12000 micro-web polishing level (no treatment), final slurry and buff, fit the p/up and electrics and straplocks.  In fact, there aren't many areas there where I can completely c**k it up so, you never know...  

By the end of the weekend it should be finished just resting a week to let the oil fully harden before shipping to @eude

I hope he likes it once he's got it.

• Like 4

And it's pretty much finished...

@eude is probably going to change the electrics so we opted to just put the old electrics back in.  The jack is actually fine, but both pots are shot.  I'll order some replacements anyway to fit while the finish is hardening.

But, other than the final tweaks on the setup and a final buff up in a few days time, its finished.

I've obviously gone heavy on the tru-oil because it's ended up at 8 3/4 lbs rather than the 8 1/2 I was projecting 9_9  but it sits BEAUTIFULLY on the strap.  Even my slippy cheap nylon strap - it rests level and will sit and stay at almost any angle you care to play.  It actually feels lighter on the strap than it actually is, presumably for the same reason.

The fretboard is just polished - progressive from around 2000 grit paper to 12000 micro-web.  The figuring shows up great in real life.

I'll probably take a few more fancier shots when the lighting is right, but here it is in the meantime:

WcHYa9Xh.jpg

u4KlK2mh.jpg

cmem8PLh.jpg

xpl0ptoh.jpg

DeDrjKdh.jpg

bcMQUUUh.jpg

• Like 13