Why become a member? ×

Eude throws down the gauntlet

Andyjr1515

9 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Now that looks the business! Having the bridge on makes it look far more balanced than just seeing the empty routs.

Yes indeed!
It's always hard to visualise it until some hardware comes into play.

I see you're in leafy Purley, I'm just along the road in Sanderstead!

Eude

2 minutes ago, eude said:

Yes indeed!
It's always hard to visualise it until some hardware comes into play.

I see you're in leafy Purley, I'm just along the road in Sanderstead!

Eude

You shouldn't have admitted to that, now I'll want to try out the new build! TBH, I'm even closer, I'm in Riddlesdown.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And next the headstock.

I don't know about other builders, but I find the headstocks are often one of the 'make or break' aspects of the build.  Basically, you want to keep the string runs as straight as possible - and certainly avoid two strings touching, while preserving the overall shape that you are aiming for.  To do this, I personally always draw things out full size, and with the actual hardware I'm going to use.

This is again one of those 'check three times, drill once' jobs.

@eude sent me his preferred tuners and I'd already got hold of the correct sized nut so I had those to hand.  Here's the template after some careful measuring :

1gmvCiYl.jpg

I can't achieve fully straight string runs with this headstock shape, but, with some careful positioning of the tuners, can get close.  Basically the only strings at any angle are the two middle ones, and they are only angles very slightly.  Note also - seems obvious but trust me, it's a tip learned from bitter experience - that the layout is always with the tuner knobs flat on.  For those who are not sure why, I won't spoil the satisfaction of realising EXACTLY why that is :lol:

So out with a 15mm forstner and we have a trial fit:

zmrKeZSl.jpg

Soon I am going to do a trial stringing - and for a specific reason.  Something I've discussed with @eude has been just how soft the mahogany has turned out to be now I've started carving it.  It's beautifully even grained quarter-sawn and it's from a top supplier...but it is very soft.   Happily, the neck itself feels as solid as a rock.  The volute is substantial.  It has carbon reinforcement.  It is a wide neck which gives disproportionately more strength than the extra string tension.  It has a solid central walnut splice.  It should be absolutely fine.

But I'd like to make sure sooner rather than later ;) 

@Christine , @Jimothey - in your professional careers, have you come across this?  Is it likely to affect the bending strength?

In terms of long stop - whether now or in its playing future - I have the advantage that it is a bolt-on neck and so it would not be the end of the world if I needed to build another neck.  But I'll have a much better feel for it once I see how it fares with full string tension on it. 

Well - you can never say that my builds aren't exciting! :lol:

Mahogany is a funny wood in that it is soft, alarmingly so but it has still got a good resistance to breaking under bending pressure, less than the Walnut and something like maple but it should be plenty strong. Gibson Thunderbird necks are scary thin but won't break unless they are heavily banged and that is usually due to the very short grain with no volute. I don't think I'd be losing any sleep over that, it should be plenty strong

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Christine said:

Mahogany is a funny wood in that it is soft, alarmingly so but it has still got a good resistance to breaking under bending pressure, less than the Walnut and something like maple but it should be plenty strong. Gibson Thunderbird necks are scary thin but won't break unless they are heavily banged and that is usually due to the very short grain with no volute. I don't think I'd be losing any sleep over that, it should be plenty strong

Great - that's what I hoped to hear.  Thanks :)

I've used mahogany for necks in the past, but non as soft as this.  I does seem pretty strong, though, as you say.

Thanks for the confirmation

Andy

What - more clamps???

biyTO4Bl.jpg

The one remaining doubt I had with the softness of this particular mahogany was the ability to hold the tuners and their fixing screws during a lifetime of playing.

I didn't want to slim down the volute for obvious reasons (by the way - this still has more carving to be done but will remain fit-for-purpose thickness-wise) but I did want to put a hardwood back plate on the back of the headstock.  As such, using my last offcut of katalox and again lining it with ebony veneer, I carved the headstock a couple of mm to be able to drop a backplate in flush with the volute lead-out.   I'm much happier with this functionally, but I think it will add a level visually.

And please note, @TheGreek - I do sometimes take notice :)    Once it's all sanded and finished, you will notice it hides the bit that bothers you a touch ;) 

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 1

OK - still got to finish shaping the neck and the volute, but this is what the headstock is starting to look like.  From a functional point of view, I'm MUCH happier with this:

t8kZdQPl.jpg

cFGJFu3l.jpg

The final sanding will straighten up the right-hand walnut flash:

d6sjuDol.jpg

Going to see if I can finish the neck carve this afternoon before the next stint of grandparenting!

• Like 2

Well, I've got a few days of grandparent duties coming up but I'm pleased to say - other than a tweak still to do on the volute - the basic neck carve, I reckon, is there or thereabouts and we are now entering the 'sanding, finishing and assembling' stage:

M3Zi2m7l.jpg

ax4e4zVl.jpg

The back cover and body will be the same shade as the headstock once the finish has been put on and the body will darken a touch.  The neck will probably remain this sort of colour.

And I say 'the basic neck carve, I reckon, is there' because I've actually never ever played a 6 string bass - and I'm building this for a guy who has...and lots.  

So what we ACTUALLY have is, 'I've never played a 6 string bass but, if I did, I think this is what I'd like one to feel like' :)

What could possibly go wrong :lol:

• Like 3

I should add, if a bassist who doesn't play a 6 string bass comes up with a neck profile that's comfortable to them, it's pretty much guaranteed to be comfy to a 6 string player, most 5's and all 4 string basses feel like toys (in a good way) when you transition 😎

Eude

• Like 2

Managed to knock off 3 of the remaining 14 jobs on this, including installing some blue luminlays:

xOtbyBdl.jpg

Assuming I remembered correctly, @eude wanted the dots on the fretlines rather than between.  Assuming I didn't remember correctly, it makes no difference... @eude is getting the dots on the fretlines :D

Probably going to start the final sanding and finishing pretty soon, then that can be hardening off while I finish the other bits and pieces.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, eude said:

I reckon that'll do the trick @Andyjr1515!
Dots on the fretlines, exactly as ordered :)

What were the other 2 jobs?...

Eude

Phew!

I added the demarcation fillet to the neck joint and sorted the pickup pocket to double check it didn't need lowering and also to cut the clearance grooves for the pickup cables.

Just about to start the final finishing processes on the body :)

• Thanks 1

Guest Marcoelwray

I'll be honest on this first coat of finish; I don't really like the katalox, and I think the carving is pretty basic.

No offense tho, what I dislike doesn't take your very profesional work, your precision and the love you put in this build ! Can't wait to hear it.

(Anyway Andy you know that I know you build some awesome builds, it's more a project taken on the road here! :) )

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

Sorry but I completely disagree sometimes less is more!!............... 

Sure man, it's just my opinion, you have totally the right to disagree ;) I'm just saying that's not my bag baby :crazy:

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Sorry but I completely disagree sometimes less is more!!............... 

Me too, and it's going to be mine once it's done, which is nice 😎

I chose the Katalox as I wanted something dark and understated and it absolutely delivers.

The carve may seem a little basic, but it's smooth and elegant. I originally carved it over several evenings until it felt right and that's a process that Andy also did which was good to hear.

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted about how this bass is turning out, and given the customer is always right that trumps everything 😉

Eude

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And the last word on this before we go back to the most important thing - that is: me! ME! MEEEEEEE!!!! :)

Yes - happily everyone has different tastes and that's absolutely fine.  For example, I personally cannot see at all the aesthetic appeal of a standard, painted Fender Telecaster.  Happily for Fender, tens, if not hundreds, of millions of folks around the world strongly disagree with me. :lol:

The most important thing to me - actually, as @eude rightly says, the only really important thing -  is that he, the original builder and owner, loves it 

The next important thing to me, personally, is that I love it too.  And I do. :D  

I love the history of it -  a dream of twenty years ago that was dashed.  If I can be part of fulfilling that dream, then I will be utterly delighted.

I love the katalox.  I had never heard of katalox before and it is a bit of a revelation.  The photos to it no justice at all - Canon DSLR's are notoriously bad at reproducing accurate reds.  It's got a natural oxblood hue to it and that redness contrasts beautifully with the ash.  In real life, it looks really, really classy.  Bit of a pig to work with, mind you...

I love the scale length.  @eude had said to me that the 31.5" would make it feel totally different and it does.  

I love the original carve.  I suppose I have the normal paranoia of a builder and modifier whether the changes I make detract rather than enhance.  The original carve was VERY tactile.  A bit like those wooden comfort stones you can buy.  Albeit the body wood alone weighed only a touch less than @Len_derby 's fully finished full scale bass! :lol:

So, to summarise:

I love @Marcoelwray 's builds

I love this build

Most of all, I love ME 😍

So I'm going back to concentrating on THAT :lol: 

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 9