Why become a member? ×

Eude throws down the gauntlet

Andyjr1515

Guest Marcoelwray
13 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

touché! (sorry - don't know the dutch for that)

Yes - most of my builds are neck through also.  In fact, thinking about it, all of my own builds are - not only for this reason, but so I can go super slim and reduce the weight accordingly :)

Beautiful build, by the way  :)

That's a french expression anyway. (and my dutch is shitty as hell.)

Thanks, but no as good as yours, I already saw that one but I didn't knew it was you, very clever way to put knobs. I must admit that your build is most advanced than mine, but there is less carving job on it... Really nice shaping too. Unfortunately mine does sound good but fretting is awful (I hate that part) and it's worst than a Thumb, the headstock falls like a nuke from a B52. 

Maple/Wengé is, to me, a key to growl like a tiger. I like exotics woods but I have to admit that a "simple" maple with some wengé or other hard wood give some nice range of sound. I guess that's why maple is used for instruments since decades !

9 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Probably not going to be able to get much done tomorrow so, just to make sure @eude doesn't have some sort of seizure, I thought I'd better do a bit more this evening. :D

One fitted katalox chamber cover ready for the magnets to be fitted :)

prbMnsHl.jpg

Don't worry @Andyjr1515 I would never complain about the pace of your work, or the amount of updates! It's been wonderful!
Don't forget the "big day" isn't till near the end of December...

Great work on the cover, you've managed to match the flow of the grain on the Ash! Laaaavly!

Eude

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Maple/Wengé is, to me, a key to growl like a tiger. I like exotics woods but I have to admit that a "simple" maple with some wengé or other hard wood give some nice range of sound. I guess that's why maple is used for instruments since decades !

I tend to agree with you, although I am partial to a completely Wenge neck 😎
I've got a bass with a Wenge/Purpleheart/Wenge neck which has a great tone, and a couple with completely Ash necks too, which seem to contribute a nice mid punch, but a little higher in the frequency spectrum than Wenge. It's a bit more aggressive sounding rather than growly, it works greats with a bass in passive mode.

Eude

• Like 1

Still creeping up on the final neck and heel carve.  Starting to get there but still a way to go:

nejEfCnl.jpg

Once the carve is broadly right, I'm going to do an early string up and finalise the profile while I have some strings on so I can really feel whether the shape works or needs some slight adjustment.

Still a bit more to come off the heel, but the transition is starting to look a little more elegant from the side:

YpxpGull.jpg

Oh - and just to get a view of how wide a sixer neck is, look at @eude 's next to the Swift Lite build:

8AWGhjhl.jpg

I'm really enjoying both of these builds - SO different to each other but both are very satisfying in a scary sort of a way :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Christine said:

That's is quite shocking 😮 Way to wide for me

I'm looking to do a 6er for my next project (hopefully I'll have it finished in time for the MBB) I've never played a 6 string but the necks look a lot wider than they actually are as they are only about 7mm wider than a 5 string........ 😀 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Christine said:

That's is quite shocking 😮 Way to wide for me

It's funny, I don't have massive hands, yet I've managed OK on 6ers since I first tried them.
When I was at Art School, one of my class mates, who was 6 foot 4 and had massive flapping hands, could barely get his hand round the neck of the 6er I had at the time.
I think your hands just get used to it, the muscles adapt, stretch and get stronger.
It also means anything smaller, 5s or 4s feel comically small when you go back to them...

If 16.5mm spacing wasn't available, it wouldn't stop me playing 6 string basses, I'd just have to get used to whatever was around 😎

Eude

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eude said:

It's funny, I don't have massive hands, yet I've managed OK on 6ers since I first tried them.
When I was at Art School, one of my class mates, who was 6 foot 4 and had massive flapping hands, could barely get his hand round the neck of the 6er I had at the time.
I think your hands just get used to it, the muscles adapt, stretch and get stronger.
It also means anything smaller, 5s or 4s feel comically small when you go back to them...

If 16.5mm spacing wasn't available, it wouldn't stop me playing 6 string basses, I'd just have to get used to whatever was around 😎

Eude

I have a Precision neck on a Fenderbird I made some years ago, I try my best with that quite often but I can't get on with it. I'm not a good player though and my technique is bad at best so it's probably down to me; think I'll stick with super slim necks, I'm getting too old to change 😟

9 minutes ago, Christine said:

I have a Precision neck on a Fenderbird I made some years ago, I try my best with that quite often but I can't get on with it. I'm not a good player though and my technique is bad at best so it's probably down to me; think I'll stick with super slim necks, I'm getting too old to change 😟

It's all relative and everyone is different, some folks find they cramp up on super slim necks!
At the end of the day, its the differences in life that makes it interesting :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christine said:

You're not alone in liking a thin neck :)

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray

I tried seven string, can't really see the use but all notes were really easily reachable, except for the last B on B string. Can't touch this.

Most of six I've played were really easy to play, I just feel lost with my right hand, so I'll stay on 4 and 5 for now :)

IMG_20180717_123400.jpg

And next the headstock.

I don't know about other builders, but I find the headstocks are often one of the 'make or break' aspects of the build.  Basically, you want to keep the string runs as straight as possible - and certainly avoid two strings touching, while preserving the overall shape that you are aiming for.  To do this, I personally always draw things out full size, and with the actual hardware I'm going to use.

This is again one of those 'check three times, drill once' jobs.

@eude sent me his preferred tuners and I'd already got hold of the correct sized nut so I had those to hand.  Here's the template after some careful measuring :

1gmvCiYl.jpg

I can't achieve fully straight string runs with this headstock shape, but, with some careful positioning of the tuners, can get close.  Basically the only strings at any angle are the two middle ones, and they are only angles very slightly.  Note also - seems obvious but trust me, it's a tip learned from bitter experience - that the layout is always with the tuner knobs flat on.  For those who are not sure why, I won't spoil the satisfaction of realising EXACTLY why that is :lol:

So out with a 15mm forstner and we have a trial fit:

zmrKeZSl.jpg

Soon I am going to do a trial stringing - and for a specific reason.  Something I've discussed with @eude has been just how soft the mahogany has turned out to be now I've started carving it.  It's beautifully even grained quarter-sawn and it's from a top supplier...but it is very soft.   Happily, the neck itself feels as solid as a rock.  The volute is substantial.  It has carbon reinforcement.  It is a wide neck which gives disproportionately more strength than the extra string tension.  It has a solid central walnut splice.  It should be absolutely fine.

But I'd like to make sure sooner rather than later ;) 

@Christine , @Jimothey - in your professional careers, have you come across this?  Is it likely to affect the bending strength?

In terms of long stop - whether now or in its playing future - I have the advantage that it is a bolt-on neck and so it would not be the end of the world if I needed to build another neck.  But I'll have a much better feel for it once I see how it fares with full string tension on it. 

Well - you can never say that my builds aren't exciting! :lol:

• Like 1

IMO I would think it would be fine as it's got carbon rods in it and I would have thought that if it will break anywhere it would be on a glue joint but have you ever had any other joints fail on any of your other builds using titebond? I think @Christine might be better answering tho as she's got more experience than me....... 😀 

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Note also - seems obvious but trust me, it's a tip learned from bitter experience - that the layout is always with the tuner knobs flat on.  For those who are not sure why, I won't spoil the satisfaction of realising EXACTLY why that is

Took me a minute, but I got there in the end.

S.P.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Well that was worth doing.

Absolutely rock solid!  Phew...

gJL5JHWl.jpg

Still quite a bit to do, but I think we're on the home straight :)

Now that looks the business! Having the bridge on makes it look far more balanced than just seeing the empty routs.

• Like 1