Why become a member? ×

Recording software for laptop

pnefc42

Hi all

Don’t know if this has been posted before but can anybody recommend some software I can download for basic instrument recording

I don’t need anything too fancy, just the ability to record separate tracks (independently) over a (selectable) drum pattern, then loop so I can jam over it (guitar)

Any advice/recommendations welcomed! 😀

Thanks

Dave

52 minutes ago, pnefc42 said:

Hi all

Don’t know if this has been posted before but can anybody recommend some software I can download for basic instrument recording

I don’t need anything too fancy, just the ability to record separate tracks (independently) over a (selectable) drum pattern, then loop so I can jam over it (guitar)

Any advice/recommendations welcomed! 😀

Thanks

Dave

What platform?

If you have a Mac you'll already have Garageband which should be perfectly adequate for your needs. Otherwise Reaper is essentially free and has a large following here so you should get plenty of help (although you're more likely to get a quick and useful response if you post any further questions in the "Recording" section of Basschat).

21 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

What platform?

If you have a Mac you'll already have Garageband which should be perfectly adequate for your needs. Otherwise Reaper is essentially free and has a large following here so you should get plenty of help (although you're more likely to get a quick and useful response if you post any further questions in the "Recording" section of Basschat).

Windows 10 based laptop (sorry should have said!)

Thanks for the responses, will check out the options! 😀

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not quite right; the demo version is free, but mutes after ten minutes. Just sayin'. :|

8 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not quite right; the demo version is free, but mutes after ten minutes. Just sayin'. :|

OMG your right it use to be completely free. I contribute to it as I use it a lot so apologies i didn't realise. lol

• 1 month later...

Some audio interface and other products come with free DAW.

Fosusrite inerface comes with free Ableton live lite. It is predominantly used by DJs or electronic music production but I have no issues recording metal ie guitars or bass either via plug in, DI or mic'd. or combination. As with anything else. It takes time to learn it but soon you discover its vast functionalities.

Simple to use with plug ins. Free version is limited to 8 tracks but it's enough to start out. There is an option to upgrade to standard or suite version with unlimited tracks and extensive libraries.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gazzatriumph

Hi, apologies if I'm hijacking the thread.  My cousin has sent me a couple of songs he has done on guitar and wants me to add bass lines, he has emailed me  an mp3 of the songs,  what's the easiest to use and free for me to do this, cheers. 

5 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

Hi, apologies if I'm hijacking the thread.  My cousin has sent me a couple of songs he has done on guitar and wants me to add bass lines, he has emailed me  an mp3 of the songs,  what's the easiest to use and free for me to do this, cheers. 

audacity, plug you bass into the mic input of you computer, some sort of DI box will improve things (Behringer BDI21) but it can be done without, well, I've done it without

Guest gazzatriumph
7 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

audacity, plug you bass into the mic input of you computer, some sort of DI box will improve things (Behringer BDI21) but it can be done without, well, I've done it without

I'm not great with computers but I do have audacity and was looking at getting a di box as an amp failure back up. I have a HP laptop but can't find a mic input. I have a TC Electronics RH750 head if that can be used.

Edited by gazzatriumph

2 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

I'm not great with computers but I do have audacity and was looking at getting a di box as an amp failure back up. I have a HP laptop but can't find a mic input.

it'll only be a mini jack input, you'll need to convert it from 6.3mm jack on your bass lead,  if it's like mine, which it probably isn't it'll be near the headphone socket, google it, if it's not obvious on your model the answer will come up

Guest gazzatriumph

I've just checked my manual for the head and it can plug in to a DAW, so I guess I will need a USB connector on one end of a cable and the three pin on the other and will that connect to audacity via laptop? 

This will sound daft, but what if I just want to record from a microphone into the laptop? I don't need a DAW and don't need to equalise, have separate tracks or anything like that. Just a straightforward recording. Like plugging a mic into a tape recorder and pressing the red button. I have a high quality mic and a USB soundcard with a built-in mic preamp.

What software should I use? Does Windows 7 Sound Recorder work?

Edited by stevie

19 minutes ago, gazzatriumph said:

I've just checked my manual for the head and it can plug in to a DAW, so I guess I will need a USB connector on one end of a cable and the three pin on the other and will that connect to audacity via laptop? 

don't know about that, I've never used audacity via the USB plug.

@stevie I think he wants to add a bass track to an existing track

Edited by PaulWarning

8 minutes ago, stevie said:

Yes, I appreciate that, Paul. Sorry for the thread derail but I was asking the question for my own information.

oh right, sorry, yeah got you now, you'd still need something to record it on, so yes you'd need some way of creating a sound file, like Audacity, which is a sort of DAW

1 hour ago, gazzatriumph said:

The first thing I’d try in your position was a 3.5mm connector cable from the headphone  out of the amp to the input mic on the laptop 

would that not work ?