Why become a member? ×

Sign of the times

morsefull

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283165955948

Crazy price IMO. Have we all gone weak at the knees ? Surely this combo selling at such a low price is a reflection of the new passion for lightweight gear ? 

I own the same combo with s 2 x 10 extension cab and although heavy and a bit bulky, it sounds awesome .

575 watts for £135 !! 

Someone had a bargain.

I think the older players amongst us are now worried about our backs (me included) and the younger ones have only experienced lightweight gear so all the old heavy stuff is definitely losing its appeal.

Collections on eBay are always hit and miss too unless you fall lucky and have someone local to you. 

I think the only sign of the times here is how Ashdown have just fallen out of favour a bit.  This type of approval ebbs and flows, much like the on/off love affair we collectively have for Warwick.

I don't have any issues with Ashdown gear as such, I've had very comfortable relationships with MAGs and EVOs for many, many years; they're affordable, well-designed, reliable, staid, loud, robust, heavy, but in truth after several dalliances I figured out that tonally they were just a bit too safe for me.  I just couldn't get the dirt I wanted and the valve drive feature just sounded like radio interference rather than grind.  I always ended up just using a POD or some Tech 21 unit plugged into the effect return.

Edited by NancyJohnson

I guess every so often you strike a bargain - I had a similar experience six or seven years ago when my combo gave up the ghost, and I needed another at short notice for a gig. I spotted a 1x15 (Laney, on this occasion) which hadn't attracted much attention, put in a similarly low bid and went to the pub. When I woke up, there was an email telling me my stupidly low bid had won! Presumably there weren't many people looking for SS combos that week.

You could say I've seen the market saturate itself in real-time: when I was trying to get my hands on a particular Focusrite interface, I set a maximum price in my head and let two of them go when I was outbid, but the third one I was watching came in well within my budget. Clearly there weren't that many people looking for a 2i2 that week.

Plus another thing to bear in mind is that Ashdown gear is priced pretty decently/competetively in the first place.  Considering the quality and durability of their products a second hand bit of Ashdown kit is in general a bargain.

• Like 1

I grabbed an EVO11 180 for home use for a little over £100. Works perfectly, great tone - no plans to move it so not an issue and even if I did it isn't that heavy. 

What you also get with Ashdown is fantastic customer service and virtually immortal amps - remember that they'll repair and service your Ashdown gear for nothing...That's right...zero...zilch..diddly squat..fackle..

People should be hoarding them, not selling them..

Edited by TheGreek

Just sold my Ashdown mag 300 and 410 cab. taken me a whole year to sell. luckily a local lad had an old amp fail on him so needed an amd an cab quickly for gig. got a fair price in the end (sort of) but half the original asking price from 12 months ago.

lovely amp the 300 combo great sound and when added to the 410 awesome tone and power,  but at just shy of 30kg (combo alone) its way too heavy for practical use and its a big award size as well with only a plastic carry handle on top, now i am a big strong lad (ex RL prop forward) and even in my lesser current state of fitness,  so can see how an elder statesmen or skinny emo/indie type kid would not touch it with a barge pole.

Replaced with a Peavey 112 max comb, which is still on the heavy side compared to some super lightweight combos but at 18kg with 200w its much more easy to move about.

Though I, personally, agree with Roonjuice about the superior tone from valves the recent test at the SE Bash was less conclusive. Many of the audience were unable to hear a marked difference between Class D and valves. 

Me? I'm convinced you can't beat a classic Trace Elliot.

I think it depends on stage size Mick, on regular pub-size stages I don`t really notice much difference between my Ashdown RM-500 and ABM-600 (through the same ABM410 cab), but get on a bigger stage and the ABM shows its pedigree. I`ve used a fair few Class D amps on big stages and whilst they were loud enough there wasn`t that pleasing bigness of sound. Now it does bring into question that if an amp is loud enough for the stage, and you have a monitor mix as well, does it need that extra weight to the sound - well no is the honest answer imo, but to the "but do you want that extra weight to the sound" well that answer is yes.

• Like 1