Why become a member? ×

Neck carving - what do you use and how do you do it?

honza992

Hi All

I'm just starting the neck carve on my current build, and I noticed that the tools I use has completely changed over my last few builds. 

I started using rasps and files, mostly a dragon file sold (at great expense😲) by Stewmac.

Recently, though, I've started using one of these, an iwasaki carvers file. 

IMG_2727.jpg

It was actually the first file I ever owned, bought on the recommendation of some random poster on some random guitar forum.  I remember being singularly unimpressed when I tried to use it, too unpreditable and niggly to use, and it sank down onto the bottom shelf.  

For this build I dug it out to give it another go, and my god it rocks.  It's not like using a file where you file harder to take off more,  in any direction, any speed.  This needs a much more subtle touch.  The angle you use it, the pressure you apply and the direction of the grain all make a huge difference to the effect it has.  It can go from taking off massive amounts of wood with little effort, to almost burnishing a completely smooth finish.  It really is a remarkable tool.  And while not cheap at £20, it's a joy to use.  I use the facet method of neck carving, and previously I've always used a spokeshave to smooth down each facet before moving onto the next one.  With the Iwasaki there's really no point.  It leaves a surfacce plenty smooth enough.  It does though, need a careful touch.  If you apply too much pressure at the wrong time it can dig in but if you're careful it really does a great job in a very rewarding way. 

I just thought I would share!

I'd love to hear what anyone else uses, and what method you use.  If you don't use the facet method what do you do?

Edited by honza992
  • Like 1

I really like Shinto file rasps:

https://www.workshopheaven.com/hand-tools/rasps-and-files/shinto-japanese-saw-rasps.html

I find these easy to use and they have a course side and fine side so very useful. 

I tend to do small rounded carving parts with a Dremel but am looking for a curved/round file - the ones Honza posted details of look pretty useful.7

Good topic @honza992 - will be interesting to see what others do.

Cheers

Jez

7 minutes ago, derreybass said:

Hello Jez, I use spokshaves for carving necks. Got them in various sizes.

I think Andy does too. He also has some gadget that looks like a two handed scythe that you pull towards you.

I think that I remember him demonstrating this in one of his builds...

10 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers @derreybass and @TheGreek I've got a couple of spoke shaves - one flat bottomed and one round, but I don't really get on with them. Might possibly be because I haven't tried them enough to get used to them or that they're not the best quality!!

10 hours ago, derreybass said:

They must be sharp you vary the angle to alter the cut depth. Can be very subtle or take quite a bit bit off very quickly. I use old wooden ones they seem better than the metal ones.

10 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Cheers - I'll have to dig them out and give them another go.

@Christinecommented on the way the curved blade of a spokeshave is the exception to the hollow ground ethos that is universal with planes, chisels and the like.  She says, and I hope she will put me right on this, a convex ground edge works better in this situation and allows more control of the cutting angle of the spokeshave because you can pivot on the curved region of the blade.

The few times that I tried it, I found it difficult.  I hadn't had the benefit of Christine's knowledge.  I haven't got the knack yet because it felt that the blade was somehow wrong for the job.  In the light of Christine's explanation, it makes sense and I will work with the curve next time rather than struggle because of it.

13 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Oh sh_t😲 I didn't realise there were so many. And all so.... beautiful 🙄

That's great @Jabba_the_gut. Yeah, really thanks for that. Like I need more tool GAS....

😎

• Haha 1

I use a  flat spokeshave to take the bulk off but then quite quickly move to micro-planes (pictured) and the humble cabinet scraper.  I have done a neck entirely with a cabinet scraper in the past but you do tend to get sore fingers doing that!

UqEQwZwl.jpg

The two handled thing I think @TheGreek refers to is a pullshave.  No good actually for necks, but great for carving out the concave backs of the Swift Lite builds and such like :) :

3gy38QRl.jpg

1 minute ago, Grangur said:

Nobody uses a router?
Would using a router be useful to get it started?

I sometimes use a router to get the 'spine' dead flat and correctly tapered, but I personally wouldn't trust myself with a router anywhere near the rest of it ;) 

• Like 1