Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

I really intended to cut gear buys/swaps to a minimum this year (other than consumables) but I wasn't entirely successful. 

In:  MIA Fender Precision, CIJ Fender Mustang, MM Caprice Bass,

Out:  MII Jaguar SS, MIA Precision, MIA MM Sub Sterling, MM Stingray Fretless 

On the positive side (?) the bass headcount has reduced from 6 to 5.

I'd like to say that the line up is now stable but I'd just be kidding myself.  Onwards and upwards!

I've bought 7 basses this year, and sold 7, but not necessarily the same ones I bought! One more is due to be taken away next week, so I will have at least one bass fewer in 2019. Sold one amp, bought one amp. Other than strings, I think that's about it.

Edited by FinnDave
auto posted a previous reply!
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chiliwailer said:

So, who’s still in on this? 

Any last purchases to sneak in first? 

I’m still in.... I ordered a bass from Status in October that’s due in Feb, so that’s not counting. 

My Bergantino BAmp might need to wait! Unless an offer I can’t refuse comes up 😂.... and I’ll sneak in an OBBM cable before Xmas. 

• Like 1

Just read this.  I'm in!

I'll probably get some strings.  I have one of them thar new Boss WL-50 wireless gizmobobs arriving in Jan but as l've paid on pre-order that doesn't count.  :) 

Edited by Paul S
to make sense
  • Like 1

Yeah. Strings and preorders seem cool.

But the "if I find a xxx bass" make me chuckle, though im knocking it, temptation will always be out there, so for some why not eh? . But... If my first Stingray, which was heavily modified and easy to spot, came up then it'd take a sh*t load of willpower not to get it...however I honestly don't think I would, phew! 

Edited by Chiliwailer

It's a good thing to be helpful, right? 

Apparently the cry has gone out that the 2nd market is slowing (see that other thread). How could what we are signing up to do here (led by our pied piper moderator @Sibob) be described in any shape or form as being "helpful" on that score? 😄 

• Haha 2

Just now, Al Krow said:

It's a good thing to be helpful, right? 

Apparently the cry has gone out that the 2nd market is slowing (see that other thread). How could what we are signing up to do here (led by our pied piper moderator @Sibob) be described in any shape or form as being "helpful" on that score? 😄 

True... so somebody please buy my Old Smoothie before 2019, otherwise I'm in danger of running on double standards, feeding the GAS ;) 

But seriously, how many of us abstainers still browse the marketplace each day? 

Option A - I've become masochistic 

B - old habits die hard, it's good to see what's out there 

C - Being around GAS junkies made me feel better about abstanance

D - just temporarily lost the plot and am kidding myself

Edited by Chiliwailer

11 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

But seriously, how many of us abstainers still browse the marketplace each day? 

Option A - I've become machonistic

B - old habits die hard, it's good to see what's out there 

C - Being around GAS junkies made me feel better about abstanance

D - just temporarily lost the plot and am kidding myself

E- All of the above 😂

Edited by bassfan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

F - I have no idea what A means 😂

Nor me.  Beaten Google, too.

I will continue to browse the market place - I expect my JV Precision and Mesa Boogie prodigy Four:88 head will still be for sale through most of 2019 so I will have to keep bumping the threads :) 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

F - I have no idea what A means 😂

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Nor me.  Beaten Google, too.

I will continue to browse the market place - I expect my JV Precision and Mesa Boogie prodigy Four:88 head will still be for sale through most of 2019 so I will have to keep bumping the threads :) 

Oops, I meant masochistic! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

Oops, I meant masochistic! 

Hmmm, so I'm going to be saving a load of cash and also getting to grips with the already far too much gear I've got, and very probably spending more time on the fretboard to boot (cos I won't be thinking about the next upgrade!).

Definitely not "A" then 😄 

• Like 1

I’m still on course for my gear hiatus :).

The Noble will be ordered this weekend and collected at NAMM, then I’m done for a year apart from a Mustang gigbag (which is part of my allowance lol).

I am vaguely planning a 5 string P from Lakland in 2020, but let’s get through 2019 first.

Si 

I think I could actually do this! I've just bought a Spector Bass (yum!) and my GAS has subsided.

Except... I *do* need a pedal board because I've never had one and it looks like I might be gigging soon and the guitarists in the band were suspicious that I didn't have one. Oh... and the pedals to go on it of course.

Oh, and I really need a fretless because some of the covers I need to play were done on fretless and I need to be as close to the original as possible.

Oh, and a small practice amp for when I'm away with work and have time in the hotel room late at night for a bit of a noodle.

So, all in all, I think I could stick to no new gear in 2019 with just one or two small excepts that are *absolutely* necessary!

23 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Check out this vid, at 7 minutes...

Wise words from Mr. Miller!   Convinced me that with the right setup I really don't need anything other than my Sandberg PJ.

Wonder if I can squeeze a compressor in before 2019 :)

• Like 1