Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

As an abstainer that’s a tease cos in my cupboard I’ve got hundreds and thousands ;) 

Trade for a bag of coffee creams from last Christmas’s quality street, might even be an orange one in there to. 🤪

• Haha 1

I reckon I can do this challenge too.

I'm not gassing for anything, and more importantly I've not got much money or surplus gear to sell to finance anything so it's about as gridlocked as the current Brexit strategy. 

I reckon I can last 12 months without acquiring anything new in the world of bass. 

Count me in. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sibob said:

Oooo, way more people up for this than I expected haha.
I think to keep the thread clean, we stick to the exact premise of no purchases other than strings/unrepairable breakages, (sorry @adamg67, although that basically means you're free to expand the collection again haha).

Thank you... I think :) It’s fine anyway, the only thing on my shopping list is a YOB 67 P bass.

I can see a few basses getting unrepairably broken during 2019.

I`m happy to give this a go, I still have too much gear as it is, hence me off-loading as per my sig. Aside from strings, and any consumables I might need such as replacement parts/leads etc it sounds good to me. Even once I`ve off-loaded what is up for grabs I`ll still have more gear than I need for my band so this is a task that I`ll try to achieve.

I enjoy buying new basses & other gear, why would I want to deny myself that pleasure? It does nobody any harm, my children are grown up and earn more than I do, we have food on the table and a roof over our heads.

Just think of all those families depending on the income of a breadwinner employed by a music shop who rely on our GAS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm in as it only includes bass gear, not new VST plugins (although Slate Audio's Everything bundle has taken care of that particular problem!) , PA gear etc 😉

I guess I'm really lucky - my gear buying habits are pretty low already as I'm not a pedalboard,  very happy with my current Thunderbird/Ashdown setup and will hopefully be adding a spare T'bird to the fold this side of the predicted cutoff date.

I'm proud to be an Abstainer!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I tried to sell my BF Compact on here a while back and I'd have been lucky to get a packet of Wotsits and a Topic for it...*sigh*

Ooops I'm just getting into the BF lingo and failed to spot that yours is the earlier model Compact (15"?) rather than the 12" SC I've just got, so not a match...

15 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I'll have a look at the MB - looks like it's the same weight as the Stage 800.

The big draw of the stage 800 was I cynically thought the modelling would be crap - then played the studio 40 in a shop - and crikey it was good for it's size and price....

I actually think I'd struggle to find a cab I like more than that vanderkley... it's just so, well, complete

Whereabouts are you based? If you're anywhere close to East London you'd be welcome to pop round and A/B my lot of cabs / combos (including that Markbass AC 121 Lite I mentioned), although totalling 3 amps and 4 cabs they're not a match for Chris's 3 + 6 :)

15 hours ago, chris_b said:

I'll be selling rather than buying in 2019. I want to get 3 amps and 6 cabs down to 2 of each.

Ok, the £2,350 question (well it's hardly going to be $64 million is it?), which two of each of your amps and cabs are you going to be holding on to?

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ooops I'm just getting into the BF lingo and failed to spot that yours is the earlier model Compact (15"?) rather than the 12" SC I've just got, so not a match...

Whereabouts are you based? If you're anywhere close to East London you'd be welcome to pop round and A/B my lot of cabs / combos (including that Markbass AC 121 Lite I mentioned), although totalling 3 amps and 4 cabs they're not a match for Chris's 3 + 6 :)

Ok, the £2,350 question (well it's hardly going to be $64 million is it?), which two of each of your amps and cabs are you going to be holding on to?

Might be a trek - I’m Lincolnshire - but I do get down your way from time to time ;)

I think I could definitely do this. Since leaving my band, I find myself looking at gear but with no real interest. I barely play the one bass I have. Maybe I'm content with it; maybe I'm bored. Maybe what I need is a shiny new bass to give me a kick up the derrière and start playing again...

Very interested that a number of people are up for this little (big?) challenge.
I should perhaps explain my own feelings behind why I thought I might do it......

Ultimately, I think too much about gear, like many here, always thinking about what next piece of gear could replace or potentially better the last piece. Which is strange, as I have a lot of fantastic gear that allows me to do everything I want (need) to, at a very high level. Obviously this a well-known story, and basically the definition of GAS. It's usually well humoured and dismissed as a bit of fun, but it genuinely takes up a fair chunk of my thought processes, which kind of gets a bit tiring if I'm honest with myself. So instead of trying to manage it, I'm going to stop it altogether, safe in the knowledge that I have some amazing gear, and that actually nothing will change haha.

As mentioned, in actual fact, I only have a couple of very intentional purchases left, so if we're including those in my 'exceptions'....I'm technically starting from now haha.

Si

• Like 3

Tell you what, I'll get in on this - I've been on the merry go round of buying and selling £300 basses in the past 12 months so think I need to stop and appreciate what I have.

4 String (x 2) 

Short Scale 

5 String 

Fretless 

Good Amp 

Multi Effects 

Don't really have an excuse to buy any new gear...So let's see how this goes.

21 minutes ago, Sibob said:

😮
That's actually mental......

Si

Haha - yes, but it's almost certainly glitch in the BC software.

@Dad3353 will hopefully be along shortly with an erudite explanation of how the site is capable of generating such "false news" 😀

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - yes, but it's almost certainly glitch in the BC software.

@Dad3353 will hopefully be along shortly with an erudite explanation of how the site is capable of generating such "false news" 😀

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

It's my fault - I passed out from GAS withdrawal symptoms and my head came to rest on the 'page refresh' button all night. 

So... (see above ^^...) No 'software glitch', just a numpty nodding off, again..! -_-

Edited by Dad3353

I should really commit myself to this challenge - this year I completely re-worked my pedal board, purchased a new Markbass amp head and a new Sandberg bass ... that's quite enough I think, well after I replace the cabinet I just sold that is.

My question is, do presents count against you??   it's my 40th next year and the misses wants to get me something nice ..  

On 01/10/2018 at 15:36, Sibob said:

The setup? I'm setting myself a lofty goal for 2019.......

6 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I should really commit myself to this challenge - this year I completely re-worked my pedal board, purchased a new Markbass amp head and a new Sandberg bass ... that's quite enough I think, well after I replace the cabinet I just sold that is.

My question is, do presents count against you??   it's my 40th next year and the misses wants to get me something nice ..  

I think the key word there is myself so therefore excludes gifts - especially milestone birthdays

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

I think the key word there is myself so therefore excludes gifts - especially milestone birthdays

I would concur, although I would suggest that you can’t actually ASK for gear....but you might suggest something if someone else asks you ;)

Si

• 2 months later...