Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

27 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Exactly!

Need:

strings are dead - need a new set

Tone pot on bass becomes crackly and needs replacement aside from cleaning.

Amp  blows up - need another

Realise that compression is key to bass - get one and learn how to use it

Top 3 I agree with, and are allowed within the rules. Last 1 is not a ‘need’ in my eyes, it’s a nice to have (in some cases), definitely not key to bass (but that’s another thread). Not having a compressor pedal doesn’t stop you doing a gig, or learning to be a better player.

You can learn about compression without buying a pedal for your bass. Only take part in the tier 1 challenge and download a compressor vst (although most DAWs have them included), record your bass, learn how to use compression. Then in 2020, you’ll be set to include it in your gig rig ;)

Si

Edited by Sibob

9 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I'm either going to be up for this or the first to break it - found the bass I was after, in Italy, and due to both the seller and me being busy over Christmas, we've agreed to do it all post-Christmas.

Haha - me too! I'm absolutely certain I'm going to spot a great bit of kit at a good price and be unable to stick to the programme.

Makes me think "1in 1out" is going to be the right balance of discipline and fun for me. Managed to stick to it with that for larger items this year (basses, amps and cabs) just need to do the same with pedals 😂. However with the Helix Stomp on the scene, there should be a number dedicated pedals that have had their day on the Krow board...

So with a very light heart I think I'll leave my better hair-shirt BC'ers to their GAS free 2019 and wish you guys well in your endeavour.

As a non smoker I think I've finally worked out what giving up smoking feels like! :) 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Just over 48hours until we start :D 

Who got new bits for Xmas? Who’s got new bits on the way before NYs?

Si

NPD for me today, since Santa didn't bring it I ordered myself the DG Hyper Luminal compressor.

2019 feels like a long 12 months,. I'm GASing for a Vintage Deluxe and a Para EQ  ☹️☹️

Edited by PJ-Bassist

20 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

No new bits to speak of, but today I took out a bass that I’m meant to be selling, and well,  now I’d quite like to keep it. My finances won’t be happy, but my heart is ruling right now. 

Luckily, I don’t think that counts so I’m still in for a purchase free 2019. 

I’m pretty much in that camp too. I’ve a surplus Precision at present that is not needed, won’t be used in my band, won’t be recorded with, but I just like it. If I need funds I’ll offload but going to try and keep it if possible.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sibob said:

Just over 48hours until we start :D 

Who got new bits for Xmas? Who’s got new bits on the way before NYs?

Si

I bought a mini-mixer off eBay just before Xmas but told them not to post til 2019, and a couple of fender leads, ahem.   Now what's  this about  tiers ?,  gonna be  more like  TEARS in a few months  if you ask me,  ha-ha.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Yeah, sign me up for this. As it includes strings and anything like drum heads I need for my studio I should be fine. I'm certainly not going to be buying amps or pedals anytime soon. Definitely not basses as I have more than enough.

Hey good to hear from you Andy! Is the VK 212 working out (or did you go for a Berg in the end?) - you happy with it? 

6 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hey good to hear from you Andy! Is the VK 212 working out (or did you go for a Berg in the end?) - you happy with it? 

The Vanderkley 212LNT is brilliant. I love it. Am so glad of the upgrade as the Markbass cabs just aren't anywhere near as good. It's like a blanket has been lifted off my sound. Love it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

The Vanderkley 212LNT is brilliant. I love it. Am so glad of the upgrade as the Markbass cabs just aren't anywhere near as good. It's like a blanket has been lifted off my sound. Love it.

Sounds like a very beneficial get together then - I've ended up getting an 8 string and you're loving your VK! :)

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, only just seen this. a bit late i know.

Yes but the thought occurred in 2018 and it's not PJ's fault that you didn't get the message until just now, so technically I suspect it would be ok... 😁

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's early afternoon on Jan 1st, 2019. Just 364.5 days to go.

Ok 'fess up: who's already breaking into a cold sweat?! 😂

Actually the opposite. just opened my 'pedal' draw and realised i have got a few that i brought last year that needs to go soon.