Why become a member? ×

2019 Gear Abstinence Challenge (Updated with 'rules')

Sibob

Aye - just read the rules and I'm up for it. Certainly tier one and possibly tier two. 

If anything I'm looking to sell a few bits so as long as I'm not foolish  I shouldn't then be in position of having to replace anything!

Already got more straps and gigbags than actual instruments. 

Oh yeah and sod all money, which should help keep me on track. 

2 hours ago, project_c said:

I’m down for this, mostly because I have to be. I’ve just bought a flat in London, and then my car died, so I had to get a new car too. I’ve just paid for a new bathroom, new windows for the whole flat, some loft flooring, some kitchen appliances, some built-in wardrobes, a new boiler, and I still have a long list of things to buy before we move in. I’m paying rent in the current place and the mortgage on the new place for the next couple of months. So my bank account has had the beating of a lifetime. 

Definitely no bass related purchases for me for at least a year. Is it cheating if it’s out of necessity? I can’t see it being too much of a problem if the disposable money is not there.

Wow !,  your home and dry with this thread,  good luck to you fella ...

• Like 2

On 18/12/2018 at 13:03, Sibob said:

Tier 1 Challenge
During the calendar year of 2019 (01/01/19 - 31/12/19):
- No bass gear purchases/trades whatsoever, be that amps, pedals, basses, accessories.

Allowances in both tiers:
- Educational purchases, ie tutorial books, lessons, anything that furthers your playing is permitted.

Excellent allowance. I hope to be working with my teacher almost every week next year as I have this year - good for me and for him. To be encouraged. 

Likewise the cost of travel to practices and gigs. 

I do think excluding straight trades is a bit harsh though. Not that I'm expecting to - there's nothing I want right now, and I'm trying to sell two basses - but a straight trade wouldn't cost any money or increase one's collection. 

I'm definitely planning to upgrade some strings, so I'm out of the challenge, but I'll try to avoid anything else, and just use and appreciate the wonderful gear I have now. 

And my teacher will be furious if I buy anything else! I admitted to my Ibby 6, and persuaded him it was ok, as bass stuff is the only thing in life I spend significant money on. But I hide my latest purchase - Epiphone Jack Casady - when he comes round. He's right, I need to spend more time playing the basses I already have. 

Mr Josie doesn't notice or care. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, josie said:

Excellent allowance. I hope to be working with my teacher almost every week next year as I have this year - good for me and for him. To be encouraged. 

Likewise the cost of travel to practices and gigs. 

I do think excluding straight trades is a bit harsh though. Not that I'm expecting to - there's nothing I want right now, and I'm trying to sell two basses - but a straight trade wouldn't cost any money or increase one's collection. 

I'm definitely planning to upgrade some strings, so I'm out of the challenge, but I'll try to avoid anything else, and just use and appreciate the wonderful gear I have now. 

And my teacher will be furious if I buy anything else! I admitted to my Ibby 6, and persuaded him it was ok, as bass stuff is the only thing in life I spend significant money on. But I hide my latest purchase - Epiphone Jack Casady - when he comes round. He's right, I need to spend more time playing the basses I already have. 

Mr Josie doesn't notice or care. 

Regarding trades, it’s still seeking and acquiring new gear, it’s not necessarily about the money :).

Trades remain illegal ;)  

Si

• Like 1

On 20/12/2018 at 06:17, Sibob said:

Regarding trades, it’s still seeking and acquiring new gear, it’s not necessarily about the money :).

Trades remain illegal ;)  

Si

In general I would agree with you, but a recent potential "sale" of mine which is hopefully going through this week makes me think there maybe should be a bit of lee-way here and my example is perhaps a good illustration:

I've got a lovely (pretty mint in fact - reflecting it's very civilised home only use!) PH212 combo cab and I put it up as an outright sale on eBay a little while back. A fellow BCer has spotted that it would actually be a great solution not just to house a Mesa M3/6/9 head which I'd been 'marketing' it for , but potentially with a whole range of amp heads including his. So far so good eh?

Except he's looking to fund it by part-exing his Markbass 104HF with cash my way etc.

Now I may very well move that Markbass cab on in short order in the new year - I've had a MB 112 before and whilst they're pretty darned good, for me they're not in the same league as my VK or BF cabs.

So my point is, I definitely wasn't seeking to acquire new gear here, just looking to get a sale away...you get my gist?

Edited by Al Krow

On 20/12/2018 at 07:29, FinnDave said:

If this catches on, it's going to kill the 'basses for sale' section of the forum! 

(If anyone wants to buy anything I have advertised after New Year's Day, I promise them complete discretion and anonymity!)

So in the feedback it will be:

"Someone very similar to [Geoff/ Graham / Dave / Josie...delete as applicable] may have acquired something with [4, 5 or 6] strings on and I suspect would have been a great person to deal with had I done business with them. Should you also nearly do business with them in 2019, do it with confidence."

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So in the feedback it will be:

"Someone very similar to [Geoff/ Graham / Dave / Josie...delete as applicable] may have acquired something with [4, 5 or 6] strings on and I suspect would have been a great person to deal with had I done business with them. Should you also nearly do business with them in 2019, do it with confidence."

I'll copy that to use if/when it happens!

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

In general I would agree with you, but a recent potential "sale" of mine which is hopefully going through this week makes me think there maybe should be a bit of lee-way here and my example is perhaps a good illustration:

I've got a lovely (pretty mint in fact - reflecting it's very civilised home only use!) PH212 combo cab and I put it up as an outright sale on eBay a little while back. A fellow BCer has spotted that it would actually be a great solution not just to house a Mesa M3/6/9 head which I'd been 'marketing' it for , but potentially with a whole range of amp heads including his. So far so good eh?

Except he's looking to fund it by part-exing his Markbass 104HF with cash my way etc.

Now I may very well move that Markbass cab on in short order in the new year - I've had a MB 112 before and whilst they're pretty darned good, for me they're not in the same league as my VK or BF cabs.

So my point is, I definitely wasn't seeking to acquire new gear here, just looking to get a sale away...you get my gist?

The point is that you’re still dealing in gear, the excercise is to get away from it. I would argue that if you’re selling something, simply say ‘cash only’, it’s for the buyer to then shift their gear/come up with the bunce, rather than you take a part-ex.

You do you obviously, i’m just outlining what I’m going to be adhering to.

Si

37 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Personally, I’d be fine with taking a trade as long is went straight up for sale. 

+1 ^^

Sometimes you can't always do what you want as the "seller" if you're looking to get your gear away; life on occasion is about making compromises. 

The minute rules are set out, people will always flaunt or bend them for their own needs!

2 categories could be easier.

Want and Need.

Buy/trade only for gear you need in 2019, and do nothing in the want/wouldn’t mind/might be nice category. Allow yourself 1 exception which is named before the year starts if it comes up at a great deal.

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

The minute rules are set out, people will always flaunt or bend them for their own needs!

Want and Need.

Buy/trade only for gear you need in 2019, and do nothing in the want/wouldn’t mind/might be nice category. Allow yourself 1 exception which is named before the year starts if it comes up at a great deal.

Cuzzie for president. Why has it taken me so long to see that he is always right? 😂

18 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Want and Need.

Define need? 99% of us don’t need the gear we buy/trade. 

To me, what you’ve laid out is simply a concession ready to be bent/flaunted :)

Si

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's what all presidents do isn't it? 😂

So allow me to usher in a new era.....no acquisition of gear in 2019, buy or trade, aside from the exceptions outlined already....themes the rules. No-one is forced to take part 😜

Si